Associated Press All-American Women Basketball Players | The Boneyard

Associated Press All-American Women Basketball Players

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
AP All-American Women's Basketball Teams article: Two Big East Players - Morrow 2nd and Siegrist 3rd team

1647480626830.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HONORABLE MENTION (alphabetical order)

Shakira Austin, Mississippi; Kiersten Bell, Florida Gulf Coast; Katie Benzan, Maryland; Grace Berger, Indiana; Paige Bueckers, UConn; Nia Clouden, Michigan State; Jennifer Coleman, Navy; Zia Cooke, South Carolina; Monika Czinano, Iowa; Jasmine Dickey, James Madison; Emily Engstler, Louisville; Dyaisha Fair, Buffalo; Shaylee Gonzales, BYU; Destanni Henderson, South Carolina; Rori Harmon, Texas; Jordan Horston, Tennessee; Abby Meyers, Princeton; Olivia Miles, Notre Dame; Ashley Owusu, Maryland; Cate Reese, Arizona; Taylor Robertson, Oklahoma; Jacy Sheldon, Ohio State; Christyn Williams, UConn; Macee Williams, IUPUI; Katelyn Young, Murray State.

Surprised to see Paige get an Honorable Mention given her injury time off. Congrats to both her and Christyn!

Reaction Score
I just find these selection processes to often be simply popularity contests. Not in every instance, but it is difficult for me to see how, for instance, Haley Jones; 13.1, 7.9, 3.7, 42.5% is first team over Morrow; 21.7, 13.8, 1.7, 52.7% with 23 double doubles in a row? Actually, there are several more I would ask that same question about. Maddy Seigrist scored 25.9, 9.5, 1.8, 49.8%. I just think it’s sad when someone is voted in over someone who clearly has far better numbers simply because she plays for a more prominent team/coach and gets more media attention. I don’t want to hear about their relative importance to their teams either. Take Morrow or Seigrist away from their teams and the effect would be much more damaging to their teams than Jones’ would be for Stanford. As I said, it’s not always the case, but it seems to happen more often than it should, imo.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I just find these selection processes to often be simply popularity contests. Not in every instance, but it is difficult for me to see how, for instance, Haley Jones; 13.1, 7.9, 3.7, 42.5% is first team over Morrow; 21.7, 13.8, 1.7, 52.7% with 23 double doubles in a row? Actually, there are several more I would ask that same question about. Maddy Seigrist scored 25.9, 9.5, 1.8, 49.8%. I just think it’s sad when someone is voted in over someone who clearly has far better numbers simply because she plays for a more prominent team/coach and gets more media attention. I don’t want to hear about their relative importance to their teams either. Take Morrow or Seigrist away from their teams and the effect would be much more damaging to their teams than Jones’ would be for Stanford. As I said, it’s not always the case, but it seems to happen more often than it should, imo.
I wouldnt have put Jones on 1st team, but she has led her team to a #1 seed and they're a strong favorite to repeat for a championship. Hard to argue with that. Plus stats rarely tell the whole story. Historically UCONN has had more AAs without gaudy stats than any other school (ex. Rizzotti, Abrosimova, Bird, Taurasi, Asjha Jones, Jefferson, Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, etc.) Hard to make a case that any of those players weren't deserving despite others having flashier numbers. Plus Siegrist/Morrow both play for teams that barely eeked into the field of 68.

Reaction Score
I wouldnt have put Jones on 1st team, but she has led her team to a #1 seed and they're a strong favorite to repeat for a championship. Hard to argue with that. Plus stats rarely tell the whole story. Historically UCONN has had more AAs without gaudy stats than any other school (ex. Rizzotti, Abrosimova, Bird, Taurasi, Asjha Jones, Jefferson, Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, etc.) Hard to make a case that any of those players weren't deserving despite others having flashier numbers. Plus Siegrist/Morrow both play for teams that barely eeked into the field of 68.
Well, I guess we’ll just have to disagree. It is, after all, an individual award and while I accept some level of adjustment for team performance, SOS, etc., I just think the raw numbers in this particular example are way too compelling for that.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess we’ll just have to disagree. It is, after all, an individual award and while I accept some level of adjustment for team performance, SOS, etc., I just think the raw numbers in this particular example are way too compelling for that.
Raw numbers are totally misleading. If there is only one scoring option on a team, that person is going to score a lot more than someone on a team with five scoring options. Same with rebounding and assists.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Is this the first time since 2006 that UConn didn't have an all-american?

Reaction Score
Stanford is the #1 seed. Haley Jones saved the team in several crunch moment. She definetely deserves a spot in 1st team.

Reaction Score
Raw numbers are totally misleading. If there is only one scoring option on a team, that person is going to score a lot more than someone on a team with five scoring options. Same with rebounding and assists.
In other words, opinion rules! “She scores/rebounds/assists too much, so she’s disqualified from winning the best player award. Sort of like “We had to destroy the village in order to save it”!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not surprised that UConn doesn’t have any 1st, 2nd or 3rd team AA’s, given the unprecedented number of injuries and illness related absences this season. I do believe that this will serve the Huskies well during the Big Dance when, for instance, they run into KY, NC St, etc. It never hurts to have a chip on your shoulder. :):cool:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Where have you been, nobody on the team played long enough to have first team consideration, although Christyn should have made at least the third team. This is the way things went this year, but together they can end up being the first Team on the podium in three weeks. If there was a "character" first team, I believe we would have 2-3 on that one.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Not only missing ourselves, but having two players in your conference that did make it in Morrow and Siegrist.
Both deserving, although I'd have voted for Christyn and Liv for 2nd and 3rd team respectively. Does seem to be a lot more talent, a lot more spread out, than there was 20 years ago. This leaves the seniors with one option to leave something in the gampel rafters.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
First time since 2007, as previously mentioned. Doesn't have to reflect negatively on anybody, but safe to say barring injury, we'd have had one first teamer. Fact is, there are a lot of kids out there ballin'.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Uconn has no representation in the top 3 AA teams and the conference it is in has more than one player represented from other teams?

Reaction Score
I love Paige but come on she played less than a dozen regular season games. This was a reputation/projection selection all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom