Associated Press All-American Women Basketball Players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Associated Press All-American Women Basketball Players

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Result of injuries+late development of players.

Reaction Score
I'm huge fan of Haley Jones but she clearly had a bad year and didn't even warrant 2nd team, let alone 1st. Drill down into her numbers. It wasn't just that she didn't score a lot because she was on a great team. She just didn't shoot well period.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I love Christyn the person and she also has played great lately (subpar competition mostly). However, to think she could be second team would be to discount the whole year and when people were injured the team turned to a freshman to help carry them through a period including stopping scoring droughts and end of game situations. She did play well in stretches but not as a senior 2nd team all-american, I do not think anyone was jilted. I hope she keeps the momentum into the NCAAT which will help the team and her position for the next step in her career.
I wouldn't, and didn't, say that anyone got slighted, just where my biased votes would have gone.

Reaction Score
Not surprised that UConn doesn’t have any 1st, 2nd or 3rd team AA’s, given the unprecedented number of injuries and illness related absences this season. I do believe that this will serve the Huskies well during the Big Dance when, for instance, they run into KY, NC St, etc. It never hurts to have a chip on your shoulder. :):cool:
Using logic is dirty pool.
While both you and Husky Nan are dead on, I can't help feeling sad for 4 or 5 Uconn kids, in a different season, would all be AA's. I feel especially bad for CW. Late season she hit her stride.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Using logic is dirty pool.
While both you and Husky Nan are dead on, I can't help feeling sad for 4 or 5 Uconn kids, in a different season, would all be AA's. I feel especially bad for CW. Late season she hit her stride.
These kids don’t care about AA right now. It’s all about winning a trophy.

Reaction Score
I'm with you, Browns, that Christyn has played some really good games in the NCAA tournament, but her actual average for 10 career NCAA tournament games is 17.9... very impressive, but not 19.5.

Her best, however, was achieved against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona last year, averaging 22.7 for those later round games. Hopefully the presence of a better balanced cast of characters this year will allow Christyn to score less and still ride off into the sunset sharing a national title with her teammates.

Reaction Score
don't boxscore to determine if someone played well, Paige played bad and even one of her shots hit the side of the backcourt it was ugly. Not to mention Arz was just pulverizing her with physicallity and she couldn't handle it.

Reaction Score
Disagree with 4 and 5. Especially 5. To think Paige will go from sweeping NPOY awards as a freshman to not making an All American team again in her career makes no sense unless you're expecting she's going to miss a significant chunk of time again.
So you are thinking Geno & Paige fall back into Paige do everything mode. If so then yes Paige will for sure reign supreme. Hell she made honorable mention with only a handful of games.
Do we really want that version of Paige when it looks like we have other viable players.
If the team keeps with it's current maturation process, where any given night a different player emerges as the leader of the pack along with Paige being herself again, then i think they will negate their AA status. Which I think can be ok. TEAM

Reaction Score
Result of injuries+late development of players.
Also, UConn just too balanced for one or two individuals to stand out enough statistically. As usual, stats are not always a true reflection of the best players. The best players lead their teams to success. I’ll give due credit to Caitlin Clark here, more for leading her team to the B1G championship than for how gaudy her stats were on that team, she needed to pour it on for her team to succeed. Not so for any one player on UConn. The Huskies will have to be satisfied with a team trophy (and maybe some recognition on the all tourney team). I hope that goal is achieved.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So you are thinking Geno & Paige fall back into Paige do everything mode. If so then yes Paige will for sure reign supreme. Hell she made honorable mention with only a handful of games.
Do we really want that version of Paige when it looks like we have other viable players.
If the team keeps with it's current maturation process, where any given night a different player emerges as the leader of the pack along with Paige being herself again, then i think they will negate their AA status. Which I think can be ok. TEAM
No, I'm thinking Paige will likely be the go to player and focal point of the team however many years she plays for UCONN and if she stays healthy she'll be named an AA again. You don't have to be a do everything player to earn AA honors. Almost every UCONN player who has won an AA award was not a "do everything" player.

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn had no All-Americans and still won the national championship?
No team has won a Women's Basketball National Championship with no AP All-Americans.

AP All-Americans commenced in 1994-95, which was also UConn's first national championship. All winners since then have had at least 1 AP All-American.

However in the last 20 championships held 9% of teams that made the final 4 had no AP All-Americans, including 4 teams which made the championship game.

1647651545462.png

Reaction Score
I'm huge fan of Haley Jones but she clearly had a bad year and didn't even warrant 2nd team, let alone 1st. Drill down into her numbers. It wasn't just that she didn't score a lot because she was on a great team. She just didn't shoot well period.
As I watch Stanford making short work of Montana State, 20-0 after one quarter, I'm reminded of what impressed me most about Stanford last year and through this regular season: the team is almost stats adverse... seemingly no one gets the stats one would expect from standouts on one of the nation's elite teams.

TeamFirst, I'm a huge fan of Haley Jones, too, and would like to point out that she was this year's Pac-12 POY. Clearly her performances game in and game out weren't about stats.

I'll throw another name out there of those who deserved honorable mention: Lexie Hull. For those who have seen her play, you'll likely agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom