Assistant coaching news... | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anytime a new manager is brought in and they don't bring in their people, run for the hills. It means they have no people from prior lives. Are we really crying about not retaining staff who could not generate a .500 record against the last 3 years schedules?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Adding fuel to the fire, look at UCF's OC. 63 years old and a "no-name" but the guy can coach and draw up a game plan that emphasizes his players' talents.

Reaction Score
Why? Put yourself in Coach Diaco's shoes. I am sure there are coaches he has worked with that he wants absolutely no part of. And there are some who he thinks highly of due to their past working relationship.

I have no problem with the criticism of the coaches due to their body of work, but not because they are Coach Diaco's "guys". He is the coach and he should be allowed to bring in the staff he is most comfortable with. He will ultimately be judged on results on the field.

Let's be honest about this situation. We are HCBD's experiment here. His frst chance to put together a staff at this level. I can see why he would take a somewhat insular approach to the hires given this is his chance to integrate and implement everything he's learned in his career so far. And who better to get that done than the guys he learned much of it from and who he has familiarity working with. Whether it gives him the best outcome or proves to be somewhat shortsighted is a reasonable question a this point.

One thing that's for sure. Given the continuing coaching carousel I'm glad we have some guys in there now who are past the introduction phase and ready to get to work.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Adding fuel to the fire, look at UCF's OC. 63 years old and a "no-name" but the guy can coach and draw up a game plan that emphasizes his players' talents.

He was 55-47-1 as a HC at Citadel. Sounds like a very shaky hire :)

Reaction Score
He was 55-47-1 as a HC at Citadel. Sounds like a very shaky hire :)

Holy cow. Let it go. We had our socks knocked off with the Diaco hire. The OC hire not so much, but fortunately he will have opportunity to prove us wrong.

Reaction Score
Unless we hear more news today...in terms of filling the 5 open staff spots...I am going to assume the guys Diaco has chosen to fill them are still coaching in bowl games still to be played (including FCS championship game).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FD, I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything yet today.

I assumed that the bulk of the remaining coaches worked yesterday (as it is the biggest bowl day) and from ~ 10:00 am to noon we would have three or four names announced.

This is lending quite a bit of creedence to the guy from Okie St. I'm not sure what other schools have candidates we would be in contact with.

Reaction Score
For the love of Abbott Burrell! How many pages can this useless thread go on for...
For the love of Swat Burrell Abbot's Brother (yeah I know it's Scott..but I started calling him Swat after he made a block his freshman year) it will go on until the staff is in place!

Reaction Score
For the love of the Wes Timko, Terry Antrum, Scott Sweitzer and all other little brothers......
For the love of Glen Antrum, get it right man. Terry was a year or two older ;)

Reaction Score
The only DC candidates that fit the description on the University website and haven't played yet are Oklahoma St CB coach Van Malone, Arkansas St Interim HC/ DC John Thompson, or an FBS coach

Reaction Score
The only DC candidates that fit the description on the University website and haven't played yet are Oklahoma St CB coach Van Malone, Arkansas St Interim HC/ DC John Thompson, or an FBS coach
Van Malone is the only one that fits the qualifications and is still playing that has a connection to Bob Diaco

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know that because your an expert on college coaching staffs and how they should be built. You're just another couch potato who thinks he knows everything but actually knows very little. Again I am not sure why you follow UCONN football since you think they should be disbanded and UCONN should have gone into the new Big East
Here is your coach evaluation Quick reference guide:

0-5 wins - They're horrible
6 wins - Maybe they'll get better
7 wins - These guys are OK...for now
8 wins - They may be worth keeping for a while
9 wins - These guys are good, hope they stick around
10 wins - They're awesome, how could they leave such a good thing
11+ wins - I hope their replacements don't screw it up

8 wins is the baseline for Diaco. Everyone points out how bad the last staff was and they managed to sweep the last 3 games. Boise and BYU are both playing at the Rent, and Boise won't have Peterson any more. The AAC sucks, so unless we get all of Houston, UCF and Cincinnati on the road, 8 wins is not unreasonable at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom