Assistant coaching news... | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The brilliant ND posters on ndnation KILLED Brian Kelly for bringing over his assistants from Cincy and Grand Valley. Killed him.
ND needed big time coaches from big time programs - just like what Charlie Weis and all the failure before him - went the conventional wisdom.
Goes to show you that even "big boy" fans know nothing and should stick to 12 oz. curls in the parking lot. Let the Coaches coach. It's just to dang fun to comment...

I have Ken Sweitzer as the wildcard!
Taber Small For the Win!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm highly optimistic on Diaco but I do find it a little concerning that our new OC applied for the university of North Dakota HC job a few weeks ago (per CMU's official twitter account).

I'm curious. Why does this concern you?

I'm more concerned he got beat out of the job by a "Bubba Schweigert".

FWIW - When he applied... BD was not named UConn coach yet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Many jobs get filled by lesser talented individuals. I'm not worried in the least, but I don't know what sort of assurance that gives you ;).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Depending on factors like HBCD's approach to game planning and confidence in the QBs to get in/out of plays at the LoS as needed, actual calling of plays may not be as critical as we think. Maybe HBCD wants to call plays -- either way, he's going to own the results. More important for the OC is to install an offense that the team can execute and to gameplan to attack opposing defenses - not sure we saw either of those with GDL. That's why it was so good to hear HCBD talking about asking players to do things they're capable of rather than forcing them to fail. Main thing is to get the HC, the staff and the players all rowing in the same direction - I think HCBD should have all the leeway he needs to pick his staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The brilliant ND posters on ndnation KILLED Brian Kelly for bringing over his assistants from Cincy and Grand Valley. Killed him.

ND needed big time coaches from big time programs - just like what Charlie Weis and all the failure before him - went the conventional wisdom.

I recall that very well. Brian Kelly is a case in point. So is Chip Kelly. They came out of small time programs where they had great success. New Hampshire. CMU. You have to come from somewhere. I like Diaco's energy. You don't need Peter Principle types from P5 programs. You need people on the way up. Diaco knows who he wants.

Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan said:
BTW, it's already Wed morning here - Happy New Year Boneyard!
Ditto from here ... and sometime today I'll be less blue in the gills, but the vampires will still be looking for more reasons to suck ...

Reaction Score
Diaco still has 4 guys to hire to complete the staff...3 on Defense, 1 on Offense.

Offense
OC/OL or TE:
Mike Cummings
QB/Asst. HC: Don Patterson
RB: Ernest Jones
OL or TE: Mike Foley
WR: Open

Defense

DC: Open
DL: Open
LB: Open
DB:
Josh Reardon

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diaco still has 4 guys to hire to complete the staff...3 on Defense, 1 on Offense.

Offense
OC/OL or TE:
Mike Cummings
QB/Asst. HC: Don Patterson
RB: Ernest Jones
OL or TE: Mike Foley
WR: Open

Defense

DC: Open
DL: Open
LB: Open
DB:
Josh Reardon

As well as DOFO and Director of Player Personnel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some in here critical of Diaco not retaining more of the previous regime have to remember Manuel stated that some of those coaches informed him that they would not be returning before he ever hired Diaco. I'm of the mind to give this guy a fair chance to show he has this head coaching thing under control. I'm holding my judgement till at least October 1st, 2014. By then they will have played what... 4 or 5 games and we should have a decent picture of what they are trying to recruit.

The only thing worse that a bunch of know nothing couch jockeys criticizing a coach is a poster telling other posters that they are not allowed to have an opinion about puzzling decisions made by a first time Head Coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there is a middle ground. I like Diaco, I like the other hires. But this OC has me scratching my head.

I actually think calling plays is underrated. Being an OC and not calling the plays is almost like not being an OC at all. Now if Diaco had hired a WR coach maybe we wouldn't even be having this conversation. calling plays is probably one of the most meaningful direct influences a coach can have on the conduct of a game.

I agree with you almost 100%.

Based on Day's goodbye tweet, it appears that he wanted to stay. I don't see how Cummings is an upgrade over Day, other than Cummings is Diaco's boy and Day isn't. Whenever you hear any manager in any walk of life say he needs to "get his guys in", run for the hills. He should be looking for the best guys, not "his" guys.

I like what I am hearing from Diaco. I am a little more concerned about what I am seeing.

Reaction Score

Based on Day's goodbye tweet, it appears that he wanted to stay. I don't see how Cummings is an upgrade over Day, other than Cummings is Diaco's boy and Day isn't. Whenever you hear any manager in any walk of life say he needs to "get his guys in", run for the hills. He should be looking for the best guys, not "his" guys.

I like what I am hearing from Diaco. I am a little more concerned about what I am seeing.
Didn't see the tweet Nelson..can't seem to find it on twitter...what did it say?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Here is a thought, why can't they be the right guy AND his guy?

Coaching staff is just like the players, it's not who has the most talent but who works the best together. If the staff is all pulling in the same direction, they can be more successful than talented individuals who aren't on the same page.

Reaction Score

Why? Put yourself in Coach Diaco's shoes. I am sure there are coaches he has worked with that he wants absolutely no part of. And there are some who he thinks highly of due to their past working relationship.

I have no problem with the criticism of the coaches due to their body of work, but not because they are Coach Diaco's "guys". He is the coach and he should be allowed to bring in the staff he is most comfortable with. He will ultimately be judged on results on the field.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The only thing worse that a bunch of know nothing couch jockeys criticizing a coach is a poster telling other posters that they are not allowed to have an opinion about puzzling decisions made by a first time Head Coach.

Just off the top of my head, war and famine come to mind as "things worse"... FWIW, I don't think anyone is denying your right to have an opinion. For my part though, I do wonder why you're in such a hurry to find fault. Are you going to root for failure so you can be proven right about this hire? My perspective is that if we want someone to be accountable for the success or failure of the program, he has to be given the necessary latitude to make his own decisions. He knows the guys he's bringing in and, I'm quite sure, he knows how he wants HIS staff to operate. How anyone else would put a staff together is maybe not so relevant. I'm optimistic about the hiring of Diaco. If the eventual results prove my optimism unfounded, I won't hesitate to criticize

Reaction Score

Why the comparison b/w Day and Cummings when Day coached QBs and Cummings is hired to be OC?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You are right, we don't know. But Diaco is making a lot of first time Head Coach mistakes. He blows out the old staff. He replaces them with a lot of friends of his who are getting pretty significant promotions. And we don't see a single guy on the list that looked like he was in demand with other schools.

I thought Pasqualoni was a silly old fossil, but the resumes of some of the coaches that came in were solid if not outright impressive. The only mistake he made on the staff was bringing in his friend.

We are where we are, and this program and entire athletic program is totally $%@ed if Diaco doesn't work out, so we got to root for him. Let's hope for the best.

You know that because your an expert on college coaching staffs and how they should be built. You're just another couch potato who thinks he knows everything but actually knows very little. Again I am not sure why you follow UCONN football since you think they should be disbanded and UCONN should have gone into the new Big East

Reaction Score
Why the comparison b/w Day and Cummings when Day coached QBs and Cummings is hired to be OC?

Because Day called the plays for 3 games he has more experience than Cummings because he only contributed to designing and teaching an offense for several years, and didn't have the 3 game experience Day has. :rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here is your coach evaluation Quick reference guide:

0-5 wins - They're horrible
6 wins - Maybe they'll get better
7 wins - These guys are OK...for now
8 wins - They may be worth keeping for a while
9 wins - These guys are good, hope they stick around
10 wins - They're awesome, how could they leave such a good thing
11+ wins - I hope their replacements don't screw it up

Status