Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She's looking for a school that:
--Will help her be successful in life
--Has a great coaching staff
--Will win national championships
--Has nice crowds at games
Gee, I think I know a school like that!
There is seriously ONLY ONE! Any other school is a pipe dream to get what she wants. I'll say it again: There are two kinds of recruits, one that is driven to get a NC and the other that chooses somewhere other than UCONN!

Reaction Score
got a bad vibe from the video. She seemed to be excited when talking about tenn.....hope I'm wrong. Just watched mc Donalds all American game and the player that stood out to me was nared she looks like she just makes it happen. So with what they have, if Asia goes there things could get interesting

Reaction Score
got a bad vibe from the video. She seemed to be excited when talking about tenn.....hope I'm wrong. Just watched mc Donalds all American game and the player that stood out to me was nared she looks like she just makes it happen. So with what they have, if Asia goes there things could get interesting
But if she goes there then she isn't that serious or realistic about winning a NC.

Reaction Score
... got a bad vibe from the video. She seemed to be excited when talking about tenn.....hope I'm wrong...

During Stewart's recruitment, she went giddy when she mentioned during a video interview that she was considering Notre Dame (which was news to me at that time).

Means nothing.

I'm constantly amazed what goofy things recruits say during interviews.

Reaction Score
She's looking for a school that:
--Will help her be successful in life
--Has a great coaching staff
--Will win national championships
--Has nice crowds at games
Gee, I think I know a school like that!

Ya think?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is seriously ONLY ONE! Any other school is a pipe dream to get what she wants. I'll say it again: There are two kinds of recruits, one that is driven to get a NC and the other that chooses somewhere other than UCONN!

So the hundreds of other recruits each year who dont go to UCONN arent driven to get a National Championship ?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So the hundreds of other recruits each year who dont go to UCONN arent driven to get a National Championship ?
They certainly are not maximizing their opportunities and some never get a invitation, too.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
She had some nice things to say about Rutgers as well. Fingers crossed. CVS has had some luck with getting recruits in the South as of lately. Scaife, Hollivay, Butts, etc.:p

Although what we really need in the 15' class is bigs, but I wouldn't say no to Durr. :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I like UConns chances with Asia. Geno was there has been there and a year ago it was all UConn. Guys lets face it. Its UConn and everybody else. UConn will continue to win NCs, Will continue to be the team to beat and it really dosnt matter where kids go they know they will have to have the supporting cast no matter how good they are to beat UConn. UConn has set the bar so high only then can beat it. Now with that said do you think Diamond DeShields realizes with her team they can't compete for a NC? Do you think she wants to win a NC? What teams do you think would be on her list to win a NC? ??????? Lets start and end that list with UConn. UConn is at a level that no other team in WCBB and maybe BB has ever attained. They play a true team game. The discipline and attitude is contagious. So if another team has more talent or more stars then most likely wont beat UConn...just ask Tenn teams of the past. Thats proof enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sure they're driven -- like sheep off a cliff.

This line peddled by recruiters "You can make your own legacy by helping Punxsutawny Tech win their first National Championship" is pretty much a con job. Even Skylar Diggins didn't reach her goal at Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I know that Te'a Cooper is really high on Tennessee, and I get the feel that she Diamond DeShields, and Caliya Johnson want to come to Tennessee together. Not sure if Durr and Cooper would go to the same school. It seems highly unlikely especially considering all the other perimeter depth we are going to have anyways. But from this video, I would say we land in Durr's Top 5 to say the least. For us to get back to Championship Level Basketball, we have to have superstars, and I would consider Durr one. We seem to have a lot of building blocks and great players, but no particular stand-out star.

Reaction Score
I like UConns chances with Asia. Geno was there has been there and a year ago it was all UConn. Guys lets face it. Its UConn and everybody else. UConn will continue to win NCs, Will continue to be the team to beat and it really dosnt matter where kids go they know they will have to have the supporting cast no matter how good they are to beat UConn. UConn has set the bar so high only then can beat it. Now with that said do you think Diamond DeShields realizes with her team they can't compete for a NC? Do you think she wants to win a NC? What teams do you think would be on her list to win a NC? ???????
UNC made the elite 8 with a bunch of freshman and a sophomore. I think she would believe UNC would have been good enough to win it all junior or senior year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Larry Bird almost won a national championship, singlehandedly, at Indiana State.

Reaction Score
I know that Te'a Cooper is really high on Tennessee, and I get the feel that she Diamond DeShields, and Caliya Johnson want to come to Tennessee together. Not sure if Durr and Cooper would go to the same school. It seems highly unlikely especially considering all the other perimeter depth we are going to have anyways. But from this video, I would say we land in Durr's Top 5 to say the least. For us to get back to Championship Level Basketball, we have to have superstars, and I would consider Durr one. We seem to have a lot of building blocks and great players, but no particular stand-out star.

Tennessee may already have that superstar in Mercedes Russell. I think Tennessee Fans are a little to quick to give up on players. Posts take a little longer to develop then guards. Give the kid a break she is only a freshman. If she has not improved by the time she is a junior then yes Tennessee Fans have a right to be concerned. She was ranked #1 coming out of high school.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
VolFan you already have superstars and havent made the FF. You have the players you dont have the chemistry. Its not the players you need you already have them its the team concept, the unselfishness, the defense thediscilpline, is what your lacking. Having Diamond, Te'a, Stewart, Mojeff etc wont win you a NC if you have to face teams like UConn and ND who have the chemistry. The LVs shouldve made the FF this past season without any fear but they continue to struggle. Its not having the players it having the team. If Tenn gets Diamond and Te'a this season do you think they can come within double digits of UConn? I dont. However if UConn gets Diamond what will you think then?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UNC made the elite 8 with a bunch of freshman and a sophomore. I think she would believe UNC would have been good enough to win it all junior or senior year.
If she believed that she might not be leaving UNC. If she were a bench player maybe she would leave to get playing time. She was the star. She may not like her coach but she must like her team because she almost hand picked some of them. So it comes down to NC and the only team in the way of everybody is UConn. This years roster, this years class and the following years class of which Collier has already verballed and it is expected Samuelson and Boykin will both or one will verbal and Durr has already said she wants to win NCs and has UConn number 1 on her list. So with UCOnn in the lead where do you think she will want to play?

U

UCONNfan1

Tennessee may already have that superstar in Mercedes Russell. I think Tennessee Fans are a little to quick to give up on players. Posts take a little longer to develop then guards. Give the kid a break she is only a freshman. If she has not improved by the time she is a junior then yes Tennessee Fans have a right to be concerned. She was ranked #1 coming out of high school.
No offense to Russell, but her numbers were far inferior to Dolson as a freshman, and it took Stef about 2 years to seriously commit to a strength/conditioning/diet program to transform herself to the great player we saw this past year. Elizabeth Williams was just terrific her freshman year.

Tina Charles averaged about 22 minutes per game as a freshman (a little higher than Russell) and managed 12.7 PPG. Kara Wolters only managed to average 15 MPG as a freshman, but scored over 11 PPG that first year. WCBB is riddled with post players who had really solid freshman seasons, and then continued to get even better. In Tina and Kara's cases, it led to NC's and NPOY honors. I don't doubt Russell will be a really solid player, but to call her a potential superstar seems a stretch. I understand you backed off saying if she's not improved by the time she's a junior, but even if she is improved, she's a very long way from a superstar.

Diamond Deshields? Superstar. Kaleena Lewis? Superstar. Brianna Stewart? Super star. Mercedes Russell? Not so much...

HGN

Reaction Score
I didn't think she showed any favoritism to any school.....pretty much said the same things about all the schools that she has visited. I think this bodes well for UConn because she wasn't overly excited about any school visited so far , and hasn't visited UConn yet.

If UCONN can make the cut into her top 5 , the Huskies should have a good chance to get the top rated guard for 2015.

Reaction Score
Usually the top recruits are looking at the top programs. They all seem to list the same schools: UConn, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA, Tennessee, Stanford, ND, Baylor, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Other than UConn, which of those programs would you say, based on past results, has the best chance to win at least one championship in a four year period? It's true the other programs do have a chance to win it, but if you were a betting man, which program would you put your chips on? Realistically, Geno is the only coach in America that can walk into a recruit's living room and all but guarantee a championship during a recruit's college career and has two hands full of rings to show he is serious. UConn's had, what, two classes in the last 20 years that didn't experience winning at least one championship? Compare that to Stanford which hasn't had a single class win a championship in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: HGN

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I think most recruits think the alphabet begins with the letter U because I think all of them, whether they come to Storrs or not, list UConn first when asked their list of schools. Have you noticed this too? I know it means nothing but it is odd.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Lots of people are driven to buy power ball lottery tickets, too. Zilliona.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good interview.
I do think Russell will be a great player. Her game this year should be greatly improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom