Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Glad to see RU on the list. :)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
People need to realize Durr, Ogunbowale, Boykin et al are just starting their junior season of basketball. Narrowing it down to 13 schools is a way for them to say anyone else leave me alone to focus on basketball. These 13 or 11 are the only schools I can possibly see myself at. If she was starting her SENIOR year and was revealing this kind of list it would cause for concern and all these mocking comments. Only some kids are lucky enough to know where they want to go when they are Juniors/Sophomores.

So to be considered in a juniors top 13 should be reasons for fans to be excited. Not to dismiss it as big deal, whatever, let me know when it's top 5.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Many HS Students apply to 10 or more colleges...just the way it is.

now thats just crazy..... I just cant envision any scenario where a student applies to more than 10.... really cant see applying to more than 5. Perhaps things have changed since the late 1980's when i was going through that process.

Glad to see RU on the list. :)

Well you'd better enjoy it now :rolleyes:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
now thats just crazy..... I just cant envision any scenario where a student applies to more than 10.... really cant see applying to more than 5. Perhaps things have changed since the late 1980's when i was going through that process.

The application process is a lot more competitive now and high school college counselors sometimes require you to apply to at least 4-5 schools. Because you don't want to put all your eggs into one basket. You'll want a Safety school, Reach School, and schools you'd be completely happy at and at an academic level you know would suit you.

I knew a girl in high school who only applied to one school because it was her dream, knew she would get in and then was waitlisted and didn't know if she would be a college freshmen until July.

So it's becoming more common for high school juniors and seniors to apply to a large amount of schools just to be safe.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

In may cases there is a

The common application is used by many, so it is easy...it does seem like over kill to some, but certainly 5 or more is not unusual. What can I say...as a University Prof, I am familiar with the process. Indeed, one of my sons took 5 paid for baseball recruiting trips, and applied to 3 additional Universities.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The application process is a lot more competitive now and high school college counselors sometimes require you to apply to at least 4-5 schools. Because you don't want to put all your eggs into one basket. You'll want a Safety school, Reach School, and schools you'd be completely happy at and at an academic level you know would suit you.

I knew a girl in high school who only applied to one school because it was her dream, knew she would get in and then was waitlisted and didn't know if she would be a college freshmen until July.

So it's becoming more common for high school juniors and seniors to apply to a large amount of schools just to be safe.

I remember i had just 7 schools that i was most interested in as a junior.. and narrowed it down to 5 schools that i had my SAT's scores sent to.. and ended up just applying to 3 schools. Happened to get accepted at all 3... took 2 visits.... and the one school i didnt visit.. was the one i ended up attending.

I assume they still use the SAT's.. Do schools still charge application fees? I assume everything is done online these days?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Like Ozzie says Common App is very popular and commonly used by all college applicants and it is very helpful. (However, this past early application period it crashed a few days before the final deadline for early apps and a lot of kids lost their applications.)

When is comes to SAT's they are still being taken (Delaware is the only state with 100 percent SAT participation) While the ACT is becoming increasingly more popular nationwide. Not just the central states.

I don't think I was ever seriously considering 13 schools but I also was never receiving basket's worth of college letters from around the nation. So I'm sure it's a little harder to decide as a junior and not seeing many of these campuses in person but just hearing what they have to say for themselves.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

:rolleyes:

You never know where she might end up, so since Rutgers is a school she is interested in she could very much end up there.

Reaction Score
Her Top 13 as Tweeted by Chris Hansen in not particular order:

Notre Dame
Kentucky
Louisville
Georgia
Duke
Baylor
UCONN
Rutgers
Florida State
Maryland
Tennessee
South Carolina
LSU

A lot of the usual suspects.

Does anyone have a rational explanation why Durr would include Rutgers? That sort of mind cramp seems to happen a lot in wcbb recruiting.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I remember i had just 7 schools that i was most interested in as a junior.. and narrowed it down to 5 schools that i had my SAT's scores sent to.. and ended up just applying to 3 schools. Happened to get accepted at all 3... took 2 visits.... and the one school i didnt visit.. was the one i ended up attending.

I assume they still use the SAT's.. Do schools still charge application fees? I assume everything is done online these days?

The widespread use and acceptance of the Common Ap means that it is much easier to apply to multiple schools, and cheaper (in general) per school. Furthermore, schools are actively encouraging heavy application numbers because US News and World Report made "acceptance %" part of their selectivity formula. In other words, if a school that wants a freshman class of 500 can increase their pool of applicants from, say, 1500 to 4500, then, all of a sudden they're "most selective". They don't have any more slots, but it makes the school look desirable, and keeps admissions officers looking busy, important, and employed. Washington University in St. Louis, some years back, created a huge jump in their applicant pool, and quickly jumped in the rankings, and got a rep as a "hot" school.

Reaction Score
... I knew a girl in high school who only applied to one school because it was her dream, knew she would get in and then was waitlisted and didn't know if she would be a college freshmen until July ....

When my oldest daughter was applying to college, there was a school in Oklahoma named Flaming Arrow University that accepted 324 out of 330 applicants. Competitive, huh?

Would love to have seen the records of the bottom 6 in the applicant pool.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
My niece is an outstanding softball player in Florida. She is still in middle school and has already gotten a dozen scholarship offers.

This girl is a gifted player but she is still a 14 y/0 girl. She barely knows what she wants to wear to school (so my sister says), not to mention which college to go too.

She may well rack in a 100 of offers before her junior or senior year.

My kids are still young, but I would want them to take their time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Guys, we have to have some good players on the other teams (don't ask me why).
Good, yes. They can have some good ones. But not great. The great ones belong at UConn.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I knew in my Hart(ly) that we were in for a Stoke of good fortune when my Nurse explained that all we had to do was to enDurr and be patient and if our coaching staff, the Stewarts of our future legacy, played their cards right then Asia would be ours to Lewis and getting her is like money in the Bank (compliments of OZ). Meanwhile, she went on to say, "the rest of the programs when compared to the brilliance that is UCONN, are really rather Dull, son." It should be a nip and Tuck race but at the end of the day there isn't much Moore that I can say.

All I can say is LOL(ly)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
A very pungent post, Sr. Ferraro!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, I had never seen Durr live or via Memorex and maybe a few of you have not either. Here is what is billed as an AAU mix tape:

Reactions: HGN

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow! She is a regular Houdini with the basketball. She is the best point guard I have seen in a long time...and no, she is not going to be a shooting guard...not with ball handling skills like that...not to mention the no look scoop passes and the cross-over single handed passes... She is going to be great at the next level.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So, I had never seen Durr live or via Memorex and maybe a few of you have not either. Here is what is billed as an AAU mix tape:

Her three point shot is a set shot/push shot.

Reaction Score

In my area, there are very few H.S. students who only apply to ten. Many apply to 20 or more. With the common app, it has become easy to apply to large numbers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
looks like Sims (maybe its just the left hand)... she looks good, thanks for it video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom