Ashlynn Shade at game today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Shade at game today

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was this her official visit? If it was and they left after 3 periods without closure with Geno or CD, it doesn’t look to good.
The official visit occurs during the fall of a recruit’s senior year in HS. In Shade’s case that would be the fall of 2022. This trip was on the recruit’s dime. I’m sure Geno visited with Ashlynn & her father, and as indicated by others, they probably had a plane to catch.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maybe She could wear the UConn gear and drive the 25 miles to Butler on Wednesday
I would go further and say that if the Butler game is played (i.e., not cancelled because of COVID), and she does not attend (regardless of apparel), that would be a clear signal that she is not too interested in UConn. On the other hand, if she does attend, that would be an indication of serious interest. Of course, if she has a high school game of her own on that evening, that would be another story.

Hopefully she will attend, and will see UConn play a better game than they did today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was this her official visit? If it was and they left after 3 periods without closure with Geno or CD, it doesn’t look to good.
No it was not an official visit. The Shade's were visiting on their own dime and free to leave whenever they wanted to. There this thing called COVID happening and thousands of flights being cancelled nationwide. That same COVID thing also caused UCONN 4 games before Creighton to be postponed/cancelled. It is a very good sign that they made it to UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would go further and say that if the Butler game is played (i.e., not cancelled because of COVID), and she does not attend (regardless of apparel), that would be a clear signal that she is not too interested in UConn. On the other hand, if she does attend, that would be an indication of serious interest. Of course, if she has a high school game of her own on that evening, that would be another story.

Hopefully she will attend, and will see UConn play a better game than they did today.
:eek:! Doesn't make sense that the family would make it to UCONN then miss a game 25 miles from home and that would be a clear sign of not being interested. the Shade Family spent their own money and made made it to UCONN on a weekend=they are interested. Ashlynn does not have a scheduled game on Wednesday.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
:eek:! Doesn't make sense that the family would make it to UCONN then miss a game 25 miles from home and that would be a clear sign of not being interested. the Shade Family spent their own money and made made it to UCONN on a weekend=they are interested. Ashlynn does not have a scheduled game on Wednesday.
Hmm ... I am not saying this happened and I certainly hope it didn't, but if Ashlynn walked out of Gampel yesterday and said to her parents, "Oh well, forget them", or if her parents told her that Geno is such a jerk that they would never allow her to play for him, then I wouldn't expect to see her at the Butler game. If she does come to that game, then we can be pretty sure that neither of those things has happened.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmm ... I am not saying this happened and I certainly hope it didn't, but if Ashlynn walked out of Gampel yesterday and said to her parents, "Oh well, forget them", or if her parents told her that Geno is such a jerk that they would never allow her to play for him, then I wouldn't expect to see her at the Butler game. If she does come to that game, then we can be pretty sure that neither of those things has happened.
;) I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait until the Butler game to be certain neither of those things happened. The Shade's also did have to come all the way to Storrs to make that observation about Geno or the team. They could simply wait until the Butler game on Wednesday or wait until April for a trip to Storrs when UCONN would gladly pay the bill for an official visit.

ashlynn.jpg

Reaction Score
WTH? I’m not saying this happened but if Ashlynn went home and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I’m sure her parent made her eat it. If she does come to the Butler game then it was Nutella and jelly and that we can be sure of!

Reaction Score
The Shades may well go to the Butler game but either way it wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of their interest. When a kid's parents pay their own way to visit, it shows considerable interest. Plus keep in mind that when at UConn they were able to meet with Auriemma and the staff in his office and tour the facilities as much as they want and have all their questions answered in person. At Butler, all Auriemma can do is wave and say hello. So other than seeing the game in person, a trip to Butler isn't a big deal for either side. They are each well aware of the other's interest level already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Consider if you will that Wednesday is a school night. Ashlynn Shade will be in class all day, after which she has practice, then she’s going to get changed, eat dinner, drive to Butler, watch the game, get home late and then get up for school on Thursday morning. Maybe that’s just not something the Shade family wants to do on a weeknight.

I am delighted that she and her father made the trip on their own dime to Storrs on the weekend, when it didn’t impact school or practice. I know we are prone to speculation here on the BY, but I must say you have wandered deep into the tall grass with your speculation on Ashlynn Shade.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn would be a great person to have on the team and I think she'd pair very well with KK and contribute at least 10-15 minutes PT almost immediately. She is a high energy player and solid on both sides of the ball. She reminds me of Paige quite a bit. She averaged over 4 steals a game last year? She can move her feet well and clearly is very skilled. I have no idea of her interests or academic background but she is a future WNBA player potentially and Uconn would be great in preparing her for that. She has some great local schools where she would come in and be immediate star (Indiana and NotreDame) and is considering most top programs. It's interesting that SC is not on her list. Culturally she seems like a great fit as Uconn is about as clean cut as you can get in college sports and she's the all american girl type at least from distant observation. Everyone on Uconn's team seems to be a good influence on each other. The fact that her family paid to come to Uconn indicates to me that they just want her to have every opportunity to consider every good option. I wouldn't read much into it beyond that. I went to 7-8 colleges with each of my kids and paid for those trips. It's what good parents do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Leaving the game early doesn’t mean anything, IMO. Don’t forget, Ashyn Isn’t reviewing what basketball team to play for, she’s choosing which college to attend, one where she’ll also play basketball. There’s already a lot of info on the basketball program and Geno/CD/Morgan will give her whatever additional information she wants. Perhaps the family wanted a closer look at UConn, the university, to check out the academics, see the dorms, and get a feel for the area of Storrs. The choice that Ashlyn will make needs to be fully informed and I applaud all recruits and their families for taking their time on their decisions.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Question. What is a potential recruit allowed to do on an unofficial visit? More to the point, can she talk to the current players?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Question. What is a potential recruit allowed to do on an unofficial visit? More to the point, can she talk to the current players?
Basically, a recruit can do just about everything on an an unofficial visit they can do on an official visit, including meeting with players, coaches and attending games. The difference being that the school cannot pay for transportation, meals and lodging.

Reaction Score
I've given up trying to decipher the actions of recruits and their families............the fact that they traveled all the way to UConn is certainly a sign of interest.........,if she does attend the Butler game that would be encouraging but hardly a guarantee that she ultimately picks UConn..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A good guide of what is allowable on unofficial visits is at this link:

A guide to official visits is at this link:

Not only can recruits talk to members of the current team this is highly encouraged so that the recruit can get an idea of what the campus life is like outside of the basketball program. Based on the negative comments from Saylor's mother this was clearly something that Saylor did now get done during her visit to UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I leave Mass early sometimes but I still believe in God.
And having a plane to catch - very plausible - is a way better excuse than I ever have.
:eek:How early are we talking? Before communion? Sister Joan would not approve.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A good guide of what is allowable on unofficial visits is at this link:

A guide to official visits is at this link:

Not only can recruits talk to members of the current team this is highly encouraged so that the recruit can get an idea of what the campus life is like outside of the basketball program. Based on the negative comments from Saylor's mother this was clearly something that Saylor did now get done during her visit to UCONN.
My personal feeling about Saylor 's departure is that most of her unhappiness was basketball / injury related. She just realized she got into a deep hole she did not see herself getting out of into a rotation. Since this is not something you want to admit, you suggest other reasons.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
:eek:How early are we talking? Before communion? Sister Joan would not approve.
Oh no, although the walk back from it might not stop at the pew. More typically just before the recessional hymn, I'm not much of a singer anyhow.

And the one to worry about was Mother Helena Mary, Irish brogue and all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom