As disgusting as it is, there are 3 ACC teams in the Elite 8 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

As disgusting as it is, there are 3 ACC teams in the Elite 8

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I find it odd that you're using Syracuse to support your thesis. Perhaps five years ago, but now?

I also think you're understating the quality of the BE. You claim it's "fine". This word choice is more suitable for the WCC, A10, or American--not one of the elite conferences in college basketball.
Fine is fine
Sucks is sucks
Take it easy,
According to the NCAA, P5 is elite. The NBE is the best of all the others
Not my definition or my view but it cant be denied

Reaction Score
It’s Villanova. That’s like the WCC arguing that they are as good as the ACC because Gonzaga got to the Final Four. Villanova is a National Program despite its conference. Gonzaga is a national program despite its conference.

It is a good thing Miami lost. Otherwise this board might explode with excuses.

Look the New Big East is fine. Not a great league but fine. Fun because other than Villanova, it has a bunch of pretty equal teams. Not great. Not awful. Well except Georgetown and DePaul. It has one shining star. One team that could be classified as a Program, to use Franceses’s term. Since the founding of the New Big East, The difference between it and, say the ACC is that in any given year there are 4 or five ACC teams that can win it all. The evidence is that UNC, Duke and Virginia have in fact won it all. Syracuse and UNC have made it to the Final Four. Now add UNC and Duke again. This is the second time the ACC has had 2 Final Four teams in that period. . If you don’t see the difference between having multiple possible national champions and having only 1 I really don’t know how to explain it to you. If Villanova has a rebuilding year, what other New Big East team takes its place? Not as league champ, but as serious national contender. If Duke does, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, And probably a couple of others have a shot. Let’s just leave it at this. The ACC is a great league. The New Big East has a great Team.

When are you gonna get over it?

Didn't Villanova, UConn, Georgetown, and Marquette all win it all at some point? It all the depends the timeframe you measure from.

What's the beef? ACC has Duke/UNC on top, and few other pograms behind. Big East has Villanova/UConn as recent powers, and a few followers that are good. Is your argument That the ACC is better in its current configuration than the the Big East? - fine, who cares? Even if the Big East is Top 3 that's still pretty darn good and 3/32 conference is elite in the grand scheme of things. The most important thing is that the Big East's ceiling allows for national championships. I also think that you focus too much on F4/Chips to determine who is a great league. I think leagues that have strong following, tradition, winning culture matter and the Big East definitely checks off all the marks there too

The B1G, PAC12, SEC, have all struggled in recent years. Does that make them any less valuable?

Reaction Score
It’s Villanova. That’s like the WCC arguing that they are as good as the ACC because Gonzaga got to the Final Four. Villanova is a National Program despite its conference. Gonzaga is a national program despite its conference.

Look the New Big East is fine. Not a great league but fine. Fun because other than Villanova, it has a bunch of pretty equal teams. Not great. Not awful. Well except Georgetown and DePaul. It has one shining star. One team that could be classified as a Program, to use Franceses’s term. Since the founding of the New Big East, The difference between it and, say the ACC is that in any given year there are 4 or five ACC teams that can win it all. The evidence is that UNC, Duke and Virginia have in fact won it all. Syracuse and UNC have made it to the Final Four. Now add UNC and Duke again. This is the second time the ACC has had 2 Final Four teams in that period. . If you don’t see the difference between having multiple possible national champions and having only 1 I really don’t know how to explain it to you. If Villanova has a rebuilding year, what other New Big East team takes its place? Not as league champ, but as serious national contender. If Duke does, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, And probably a couple of others have a shot. Let’s just leave it at this. The ACC is a great league. The New Big East has a great Team.
I don’t understand why some fans get so hot and bothered with excuses to dismiss the ACC. I hate them too, but I’m not a delusional fool either. You give the devil his due, tip your cap and keep it moving. To do otherwise at this point is to be in deep denial, and you just end up looking stupid.

Reaction Score

Wait, the evidence is that the Big East only has one team that has won it all?? Are you forgetting the team you are supposedly a fan of?? And possible champions?? I dare say anyone with a 7 seed or better is a possible national champion since, you know, it’s actually happened. Big East had 3 of those teams this year. Your arguments just make zero sense.

Reaction Score
People! Whether it's conscious or not, @freescooter just gets off on telling a board full of myopic UConn/Big East fans that their team and conference is overrated, probably because of the reaction he gets when he does it. It doesn't bother me either way, but I am just pointing out that arguing with him only makes the behavior more likely to continue. If you want to convince him he's wrong, you will never get satisfaction. If you want him to shut up, it could happen if everyone stops responding.

Reaction Score
Not surprised by NC the way they beat Duke last time. All of these teams have the elements needed , great guards.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not surprised by NC the way they beat Duke last time. All of these teams have the elements needed , great guards.
Without Bacot, UNC would be sitting in Chapel Hill
Duke goes as far as their forwards take them
I agree that guard play is very important and hard to win without a really good one but the bigs and especially the forwards play just as important roles with these teams.

Reaction Score
Without Bacot, UNC would be sitting in Chapel Hill
Duke goes as far as their forwards take them
I agree that guard play is very important and hard to win without a really good one but the bigs and especially the forwards play just as important roles with these teams.

Brady Manek was also a huge mismatch for St. Peter's....

Malek shot 66.7% from beyond the arc...and 63.6% of his FG's. And grabbed 8 rebounds.

Same against Baylor..Manek's 26 points kept UNC in the game...

But...Bacot's 19 rebounds was insane..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The takes in this thread are super weird, sure there is a controversial often biased poster putting forth the ACC's potential, but facts remain the ACC got 2 schools in the final four & will put one in national championship game:
1. WE all say the NCAA is what matters, to argue that putting teams in FF isn't that great b/c the ACC wasn't this good during the regular season is so bizarre it requires a double metaphor of a bunch of ostrich's crawling head first down a backwards thinking rabbit hole.
2. The BE rep has been living off the 3 BE team final four in 1985 FOREVER, yes that was 3 AND part of that legacy is getting two teams in the final & the 'perfect game' Villanova upset which isn't happening this year - nonetheless the ACC earns some discounted yet similar reputation points. Dodged a bullet with the comp to 85 had Miami made it and they surely would have been comped to Nova in 85 if that occured.
3. Much as I hate them, Dook & Coach K built his entire final season narrative about making the final four which is the platinum standard measurement of basketball programs (unrealistic to plot towards gold standard natty) and dook deserves a tip of the cap for getting K this extended moment of farewell bows.

Reaction Score
Brady Manek was also a huge mismatch for St. Peter's....

Malek shot 66.7% from beyond the arc...and 63.6% of his FG's. And grabbed 8 rebounds.

Same against Baylor..Manek's 26 points kept UNC in the game...

But...Bacot's 19 rebounds was insane..
Love Manek. Goes without saying that they all have bigs, but Manek can score inside and out.

Reaction Score
Wait, the evidence is that the Big East only has one team that has won it all?? Are you forgetting the team you are supposedly a fan of?? And possible champions?? I dare say anyone with a 7 seed or better is a possible national champion since, you know, it’s actually happened. Big East had 3 of those teams this year. Your arguments just make zero sense.
UConn was in the AAC when we won. And considering exactly 1 7 seed won the title, I think that is not much of an argument. Kinda like saying any 15 seed is a possible Elite Eight member. It’s kinda true, but not really accurate in the big picture.

Reaction Score
When are you gonna get over it?

Didn't Villanova, UConn, Georgetown, and Marquette all win it all at some point? It all the depends the timeframe you measure from.

What's the beef? ACC has Duke/UNC on top, and few other pograms behind. Big East has Villanova/UConn as recent powers, and a few followers that are good. Is your argument That the ACC is better in its current configuration than the the Big East? - fine, who cares? Even if the Big East is Top 3 that's still pretty darn good and 3/32 conference is elite in the grand scheme of things. The most important thing is that the Big East's ceiling allows for national championships. I also think that you focus too much on F4/Chips to determine who is a great league. I think leagues that have strong following, tradition, winning culture matter and the Big East definitely checks off all the marks there too

The B1G, PAC12, SEC, have all struggled in recent years. Does that make them any less valuable?
Cincinatti and LaSalle and NYU won it too. In fact NYU won both the NCAA and the NIT in the same year! You realize Georgetown’s title was in 1984 and Marquette’s was in 1977, right? Those are about as relevant as the NYU dual titles. But I’m glad after all this that you admit the ACC is a better conference. As I said, it has an elite team. It isn’t an elite league. It gets lots of mileage out of the history of its predecessor, the original Big East and out of its single elite team. It is as I’ve said before, a legacy league. The Indiana of basketball conferences.

Reaction Score
Cincinatti and LaSalle and NYU won it too. In fact NYU won both the NCAA and the NIT in the same year! You realize Georgetown’s title was in 1984 and Marquette’s was in 1977, right? Those are about as relevant as the NYU dual titles. But I’m glad after all this that you admit the ACC is a better conference. As I said, it has an elite team. It isn’t an elite league. It gets lots of mileage out of the history of its predecessor, the original Big East and out of its single elite team. It is as I’ve said before, a legacy league. The Indiana of basketball conferences.

So how many elite leagues are there currently in College basketball in your opinion @freescooter? Just the ACC?

It's really difficult to have a program that produces national championships. And for the Big East to have 2 programs with that can likely win national championships for me is pretty elite.

But would love to hear your opinion on which leagues are elite and which arent...

Reaction Score
"Elite" is hard to define...

Take Gonzaga...great program but dies along the way in the tournament.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Only saving grace would be how devastating it would be to Duke fans to have coach K’s last game be a loss to unc
This is something I didn’t think about and brings a smile to my face. The enemy of my enemy…

Reaction Score
UNC already beat Coach K in his last game in Cameron...adds spice to the stew.

Reaction Score
As disgusting as it is, there are 3 ACC teams in the Elite 8. Big 10? Zippo. PAC 12? Nada Mighty Big 12? One

No idea what that means other than a big pit in my stomach
LOL!! Old thread. I'm seeing this and thinking Final Four and I'm like "Am I losing my mind? Since when is Kansas in the ACC?"

Reaction Score
Both UNC and Miami had an extremely fortunate road to the elite 8. Miami played a bad overseeded USC team, a good win over auburn, then an 11 seed in the sweet 16. UNC beat a bad struggling marquette team, had a good win over Baylor (albeit hurt), then beat a struggling UCLA team (and now St. Peter’s)

While we lost in the first round, had we advanced we would’ve had an extremely tough quadrant comparatively. New Mexico State to Arkansas to Gonzaga to Duke. At least we lost in a year where we likely would’ve been underdogs in every other game. Like just think if we lost when we could’ve been playing UNC’s schedule and had a pretty good chance to go to the final four.
Yeah, we've seen that movie before. 1994 ring a bell ?

Reaction Score
UNC had to beat #1 Baylor and #4 seed to get here...not shabby....yeah, Marquette in the bracket was a walk over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom