As disgusting as it is, there are 3 ACC teams in the Elite 8 | The Boneyard

As disgusting as it is, there are 3 ACC teams in the Elite 8

Reaction Score
What it means is that despite an off year, the ACC remains an elite BASKETBALL conference. UNC replaced the head coach and started out shaky but improved later in the season. Miami has a really good coach and a senior laden team. Dook is Dook. Despite all the trash NOOB boys talk about them, when the rubber meets the road, they have multiple top teams. We have Villanova.

Poe

Reaction Score
What it means is that despite an off year, the ACC remains an elite BASKETBALL conference. UNC replaced the head coach and started out shaky but improved later in the season. Miami has a really good coach and a senior laden team. Dook is Dook. Despite all the trash NOOB boys talk about them, when the rubber meets the road, they have multiple top teams. We have Villanova.
It doesn’t mean anything. By this logic, the MAAC is better than the B10, PAC12 and equal to the big east and other conferences with one team left.

Reaction Score
Agree on the ACC. The Big Ten is so over rated both in Mens and Womens basketball, although historically that’s not the case.

Reaction Score
Pitt, BC, and Cuse say hello.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

LOL.

What it means, really: Don't overweight Nov/Dec games when deciding conference strength. The ACC was garbage then.

Reaction Score
Georgetown, DePaul and Butler, say it right back to you.

As an aside, I have been saying that this is one of those years where there really aren’t any elite teams. Only a lot of good ones. Reminiscent of 2014. But I think the ACC’s overall quality showed through.

Reaction Score
What the hell happened to Georgetown...losing 21 in a row?

Thought that they might be coming back some this year.

Reaction Score
It's the capricious nature of the tournament. Despite the ACC getting three teams in the elite 8, the conference overall was significantly down this year. By all metrics, the ACC was stuffed with mediocrity. Yes, Miami and UNC came on late; but they were bubble teams until the last couple weeks of the season.

Reaction Score
It's the capricious nature of the tournament. Despite the ACC getting three teams in the elite 8, the conference overall was significantly down this year. By all metrics, the ACC was stuffed with mediocrity. Yes, Miami and UNC came on late; but they were bubble teams until the last couple weeks of the season.

Yes...the ACC came on late...but earned their way in the tournament....beat #3 Texas Tech, #1 Baylor, #4 UCLA...

Sometimes teams improve during the season....

Duke lost to Miami, FSU, UNC, and Virginia in season...but their freshman has been coming on.

FSU beat Duke, UNC, and Miami...but lost four of their starting five for the season to injury. Teams are not static..they evolve over the course of a season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Georgetown, DePaul and Butler, say it right back to you.

As an aside, I have been saying that this is one of those years where there really aren’t any elite teams. Only a lot of good ones. Reminiscent of 2014. But I think the ACC’s overall quality showed through.
Overall quality?? They were lucky to get 4 teams in and the middle and bottom of the conference were awful. You wanna bash the Big East fine, but using this years ACC as the barometer is WAYYY off base.

Reaction Score
Ratings formulas are often skewed by non-conference games in December, when teams may have not gelled yet, especially in this era of numerous transfers and true freshman on every roster.

Then once conference play starts, teams like in the SEC maintain high KenPom or NET rankings by playing and beating each other, keeping their conference ranking elevated.

Reaction Score
Ratings formulas are often skewed by non-conference games in December, when teams may have not gelled yet, especially in this era of numerous transfers and true freshman on every roster.

Then once conference play starts, teams like in the SEC maintain high KenPom or NET rankings by playing and beating each other, keeping their conference ranking elevated.
Alabama beat Baylor and Kentucky destroyed Kansas, and that happened mid season.

Reaction Score

This is exactly right. The various formulas tend to over rely on early season inter league matchups. But teams often ch@nge over 4 months. Plus strength of schedule is perhaps the most overrated and over weighted component. It effectively builds on itself.

As for Georgetown, they really don’t care. Not even a little bit. If it weren’t for the money, they’d be far happier in the Patriot League competing against other schools with the same priorities. They view their peers as Harvard, Yale and Penn. Not St Johns, DePaul and, ugh, Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
A UNC-Dook FF semi would be utterly vomit-inducing and unwatchable, yet the writing's on the wall that it's inevitably gonna happen. Dook wants to win for K's last stand, and I love St. Peter's magical run and will be rooting like a madman for them tomorrow, but the ACC exists solely to crush souls.

Reaction Score
Alabama beat Baylor and Kentucky destroyed Kansas, and that happened mid season.

You sure about that ? Bama lost to Kentucky both times they played....and Kansas? What year was that game ?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
A UNC-Dook FF semi would be utterly vomit-inducing and unwatchable, yet the writing's on the wall that it's inevitably gonna happen. Dook wants to win for K's last stand, and I love St. Peter's magical run and will be rooting like a madman for them tomorrow, but the ACC exists solely to crush souls.
Only saving grace would be how devastating it would be to Duke fans to have coach K’s last game be a loss to unc

Reaction Score
What is means is that UNC and puke are always competitive. The acc virtually every single year is UNC, puke, and a wildcard. UCLA could have closed out better too.
Arkansas, Houston, St. Peter's, Miami

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is exactly right. The various formulas tend to over rely on early season inter league matchups. But teams often ch@nge over 4 months. Plus strength of schedule is perhaps the most overrated and over weighted component. It effectively builds on itself.

As for Georgetown, they really don’t care. Not even a little bit. If it weren’t for the money, they’d be far happier in the Patriot League competing against other schools with the same priorities. They view their peers as Harvard, Yale and Penn. Not St Johns, DePaul and, ugh, Seton Hall.
Georgetown beat Syracuse this season. It was Jim Boeheim's only losing season ever. His team was one game under .500.

When I watched ACC games this year, the conference looked lousy. Then again, Notre Dame beat Alabama handily, and played Texas Tech more closely than I thought they would.

Duke, North Carolina, and Miami were all convincing and deserving winners in the Sweet 16 games.

I did not expect such outcomes, nor were they my rooting preferences before each game, but I could appreciate what was before my eyes. I offer no predictions as to how they'll do today & tomorrow.

I'm not as rut-stuck in my narratives as you regularly appear to be.

Reaction Score
Georgetown beat Syracuse this season. It was Jim Boeheim's only losing season ever. His team was one game under .500.

When I watched ACC games this year, the conference looked lousy. Then again, Notre Dame beat Alabama handily, and played Texas Tech more closely than I thought they would.

Duke, North Carolina, and Miami were all convincing and deserving winners in the Sweet 16 games.

I did not expect such outcomes, nor were they my rooting preferences before each game, but I could appreciate what was before my eyes. I offer no predictions as to how they'll do today & tomorrow.

I'm not as rut-stuck in my narratives as you regularly appear to be.
Different strokes I guess. I thought they looked much better that the New Big East, which tends to play plodding, bump and grind basketball. The ACC is usually smoother, faster. There is certainly no way prove it, but I sort of think that plodding, 1 on 1 style helps explain why NEWBIE teams struggle to get past the first weekend year in and year out and often lose to lower seeds.

Reaction Score
Both UNC and Miami had an extremely fortunate road to the elite 8. Miami played a bad overseeded USC team, a good win over auburn, then an 11 seed in the sweet 16. UNC beat a bad struggling marquette team, had a good win over Baylor (albeit hurt), then beat a struggling UCLA team (and now St. Peter’s)

While we lost in the first round, had we advanced we would’ve had an extremely tough quadrant comparatively. New Mexico State to Arkansas to Gonzaga to Duke. At least we lost in a year where we likely would’ve been underdogs in every other game. Like just think if we lost when we could’ve been playing UNC’s schedule and had a pretty good chance to go to the final four.

Reaction Score
I hate the ACC as much as anyone, but having three teams in the Elite 8 means something. Gotta give props when they’re due.
Exactly this. Some people here were tooting the NBE horn way too early.
Just like in football you need some established blue bloods. Duke/UNC, Kansas, UK, UCLA/Zona, and in our league it’s Nova…for now, those are the establishment blue bloods. The Big 10 has Sparty and maybe Meechigan, but the rest are fugazy.
Like SEC football, you can never write off ACC basketball.

Reaction Score
It means they had a good tournament. Congratulations for doing so. Wins in March don't change losses in November and December any more that losses in March change wins in November and December. It's just that the games in March are much more important.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom