Article on Shea Ralph | The Boneyard

Article on Shea Ralph

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was looking for this yesterday on the Boneyard. thought it was banned so I kept scrolling on!

I didn't know she had a child, let alone was pregnant...

Reaction Score
I was looking for this yesterday on the Boneyard. thought it was banned so I kept scrolling on!

You need to o follow the boneyard more closely :confused:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can't believe you this far out of the loop. Shea's husband's is Tom Garrick, hopefully that rings a bell.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Mine as well, Nan. She combined talent with an incredible drive! Simply fierce

The mention of Shea's mom, Marsha, gave me a flashback to the days when CPTV showed the parents a lot. Nancy Bird, anyone? I miss those personal touches.

For me the change was never more reflected than the coverage of Rebecca's number retirement. Now, I wasn't able to watch live so maybe it was edited but the sole close up wasn't of Steve, Dennis or the kids, it was multiple shots of Kobe Bryant.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So, where is the article about Geno balancing new fatherhood when Jenna was born while he was an assistant at UVA? Hmmm...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I wonder if Ralph's pregnancy and new baby had any impact on recruiting?

Reaction Score
Love Shea. Used to love watching her play defense in person - endlessly waving her hands just in front of her opponent's face, relentlessly screaming something that sounded kind of like a lower-pitched ambulance wail ("Whaa-whaa-whaa-whaa!") Used to crack me up, but the opponent sure wasn't laughing!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Love Shea. Used to love watching her play defense in person - endlessly waving her hands just in front of her opponent's face, relentlessly screaming something that sounded kind of like a lower-pitched ambulance wail ("Whaa-whaa-whaa-whaa!") Used to crack me up, but the opponent sure wasn't laughing!
It is common practice for coaches to have the player who is guarding the opponent with the ball to call out loudly "Ball, Ball, Ball" . That is so the other defenders know where the ball where the ball is on the court with their back turned to the ball and watching their player assignment.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last night I treated myself to the 2000 finals against Tennessee. Watching it make me fall in love with Shea all over again, along with the other Huskies.

Wow! Quite some game! I hadn't seen it since 2000. The score was 19-6 at the 10:00 mark. LVs shooting 2-18.

Reaction Score
Last night I treated myself to the 2000 finals against Tennessee. Watching it make me fall in love with Shea all over again, along with the other Huskies.

Speaking of the Vols, there's a line in the Ralph article that seems appropriate not only for Maysen but for a certain current coach: "She doesn’t know what she’s watching, but she’ll stare at a basketball game for hours."

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Wow! Quite some game! I hadn't seen it since 2000. The score was 19-6 at the 10:00 mark. LVs shooting 2-18.

What I found remarkable was Summitt's demeanor from the get-go. She didn't seem to lose her temper with the officials or her players. I think she must have sensed right away that UConn was firing on all cylinders and no matter what the Lady Vols did, this was a night they just weren't going to match up with Connecticut and hard as it must have been, she just had to accept the inevitable.

I wish, as many others have stated on BY, that she had stayed healthy and could have remained a great opponent of ours for decades to come. And grown gracefully into old age like Geno.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
What I found remarkable was Summitt's demeanor from the get-go. She didn't seem to lose her temper with the officials or her players. I think she must have sensed right away that UConn was firing on all cylinders and no matter what the Lady Vols did, this was a night they just weren't going to match up with Connecticut and hard as it must have been, she just had to accept the inevitable.

I wish, as many others have stated on BY, that she had stayed healthy and could have remained a great opponent of ours for decades to come. And grown gracefully into old age like Geno.

Remember that game well. You are very polite describing PS's demeanor. At that time and every time I watch the replay, it appears she just stops coaching. That was the most shocking display I had ever seen from Pat. My wife and I were disappointed, thinking that.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
This is a game I must have watched a dozen times or more. Talk about a convincing win!!! '01 was a heartbreaker when we lost Shea and Sveta. Who knows, ND probably would only have 1 NC. But, injuries are a part of the game. Can't presume what might have been. For the most part we have been blessed with the numbers and severities of injuries over the years. I am counting on KLS being 100% throughout the NCAAs.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wonder if Ralph's pregnancy and new baby had any impact on recruiting?
I have wondered that, too. Coupled with Marisa leaving, it was not a normal year.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think that there is a good possibility that Ralph may be coaching at Tennessee next year. She is high on their list of prospective replacements if/when their current coach leaves. All they have to do is ask any any top coach in the country will come running for the opportunity to coach "the elite" program in wcbb. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
And you know this how?
It's my opinion. And because nobody (here) knows the answer to the question, only opinions. IMO.

Reaction Score
I think that there is a good possibility that Ralph may be coaching at Tennessee next year. She is high on their list of prospective replacements if/when their current coach leaves. All they have to do is ask any any top coach in the country will come running for the opportunity to coach "the elite" program in wcbb. :rolleyes:
And you know this how?

Reaction Score
I love this quote: “Mothers I’ve talked to have said that they have a hard time maybe processing being a great mom and great at their job. They are probably are great at both, but they have a hard time with it mentally, feeling torn, when they’re one place, needing to be at the other. I don’t feel that.”

Shea is one smart cookie; comfortable in her decisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom