Article on Shea Ralph | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on Shea Ralph

Reaction Score
I learned from the best. But seriously, how would Vol fans know that anyway?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hope and pray Coach Shae Ralph do not take the position if it is offered to her. She is an excellent Assistant Coach. Shae was an amazing player and with her guidance UConn has produced some good guards.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Can't believe you this far out of the loop. Shea's husband's is Tom Garrick, hopefully that rings a bell.
I enjoy watching the game... sometimes these boards take away from the talent on the court. So I stepped away from the chatter and life has been great

Reaction Score
IMG_6670.JPG
My granddaughter was born the week before Maysen. She's wearing her old school hightops and is ready for some hoops!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the game... sometimes these boards take away from the talent on the court. So I stepped away from the chatter and life has been great
Very happy for you and supportive of your decision to step away. You and many others are missed here though. Be well!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So, where is the article about Geno balancing new fatherhood when Jenna was born while he was an assistant at UVA? Hmmm...

IMHO, it's because of lines of inquiry like this:

I wonder if Ralph's pregnancy and new baby had any impact on recruiting?
I have wondered that, too. Coupled with Marisa leaving, it was not a normal year.

Because people generally don't second-guess whether a man who's recently had a child can do his job properly, but people do it all the time with women. Which is probably why many women, including perhaps Ralph, feel the need to get out in front of the bogeyman of "if mother, still competent employee?"

I seriously doubt anyone ever asked whether Geno's job performance took a hit because he had a kid. Most fans probably weren't even aware of it.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Because people generally don't second-guess whether a man who's recently had a child can do his job properly, but people do it all the time with women. Which is probably why many women, including perhaps Ralph, feel the need to get out in front of the bogeyman of "if mother, still competent employee?"

I seriously doubt anyone ever asked whether Geno's job performance took a hit because he had a kid. Most fans probably weren't even aware of it.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across as well as I intended...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Recruiting means travel. Sometimes lots of travel. It's not a matter of job performance and it's not sexism, just nature.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Recruiting means travel. Sometimes lots of travel. It's not a matter of job performance and it's not sexism, just nature.

Oh, for Pete's sake.

This is 100% about sexism. Did anyone bat an eyelash and wonder how Geno was going to do it on the recruiting trail when he had child number THREE? No.

Pat Summitt was on a recruiting trip when her contractions started, still went to the home visit, but ended up cutting it short because there was fear she'd have that baby in their living room (and not in Tennessee *gasp*). Michelle Marciniak still landed at Tennessee...

Women Parents who want to make it happen, make it happen.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

What's wrong with wondering? Seems like a reasonable thing to wonder about. And it clearly was not a normal year. As @vtcwbuff said, it has nothing to do with job performance per se.

Geno said that through all that they didn't miss a beat. OK. I'll take his word for it.

Reaction Score
Many of us, men and women, turned down jobs due to travel and our desire to spend more time with family. Shea likely could have had many coaching opportunities at high level programs in past but has chosen to stay with Geno. Seems unlikely that after just having a baby her motivations would have changed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Can't believe you this far out of the loop. Shea's husband's is Tom Garrick, hopefully that rings a bell.
Tom is her husband? Wow one of my all time favorite Rhody players, him and Carlton Owens’s were a great backcourt during their 1988 run. He has always been a well spoken, gracious and compassionate guy. I wish him well as ULowell coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom