Arkeel Newsome | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions. While he might work out in no world was he ready for D1 football last year. Like Donald he should have been a redshirt. But when you have a bad team and a local hotshot there is a huge temptation to get him in there or give him extra chances. It happened with DJ Hernandez who had as much business playing quarterback as I did but was a local hero. It happened with Boyle who just happened to get his first start on homecoming as a true frosh. It happened with Newsome in a year that Diaco clearly had no intention of trying to win. So we wrecked Boyles career and lost a productive year from Newsome just to generate public interest. It is a huge temptation and coaches we've had have struggled to resist the urge to satisfy the locals. Recruit local linemen d-backs linebackers but let the quarterbacks and running backs go elsewhere. There are others just as good from New Jersey or Wherever most of the time.

I like it better when you post about why Ollie was a bad hire.

Reaction Score
If you recall Edsall started the season with a redshirt freshman who later became A very good receiver. He said he was going to redshirt Orlovsky if at all possible which did not sit well with the locals. A few games in he finally relented and put Orlovsky in for a few series. Then the other kid got hurt and he had to go with Dan. But I still recall his comments after using Dan for the first time after saying he would only do it in an emergency...All he would say was "Coach's decision". Keaton Henry was the other kid. FYI

There was a 0% chance Keron Henry would take 100% of the snaps in 2001. How would you have saved Orlovsky's redshirt without burning Williams's??? Even if you decided to burn Williams's you could not guarantee you could save Orlovsky's.

Playing Orlovsky earlier in the season (a season in which he most likely would have burned his redshirt anyway) and allowing him an opportunity to learn under fire was probably the best choice .... among a lot of bad choices.

Ryan Tracey's left knee had more to do with losing Orlovsky's redshirt than any pressure applied by locals.

Reaction Score
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions. While he might work out in no world was he ready for D1 football last year. Like Donald he should have been a redshirt. But when you have a bad team and a local hotshot there is a huge temptation to get him in there or give him extra chances. It happened with DJ Hernandez who had as much business playing quarterback as I did but was a local hero. It happened with Boyle who just happened to get his first start on homecoming as a true frosh. It happened with Newsome in a year that Diaco clearly had no intention of trying to win. So we wrecked Boyles career and lost a productive year from Newsome just to generate public interest. It is a huge temptation and coaches we've had have struggled to resist the urge to satisfy the locals. Recruit local linemen d-backs linebackers but let the quarterbacks and running backs go elsewhere. There are others just as good from New Jersey or Wherever most of the time.

At first I thought this post was a joke but then I realized you were serious.

I could just see the coaches in a recruiting meeting now. Verducci -" I really like this kid out of Norwalk High, Silas Redd." Diaco- "No way! He's too talented of a skill position player and we'll end up burning his redshirt because we'll be under political pressure to start him and ruin his career. Let Penn State take him. I'm sure we can find a back close to his skill set in another state outside of CT".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ryan Tracey's left knee had more to do with losing Orlovsky's redshirt than any pressure applied by locals.

I think that's the entire reason. If Tracey stays, DanO would have redshirted.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you recall Edsall started the season with a redshirt freshman who later became A very good receiver. He said he was going to redshirt Orlovsky if at all possible which did not sit well with the locals. A few games in he finally relented and put Orlovsky in for a few series. Then the other kid got hurt and he had to go with Dan. But I still recall his comments after using Dan for the first time after saying he would only do it in an emergency...All he would say was "Coach's decision". Keaton Henry was the other kid. FYI
I could be wrong but if memory serves didn't Henry suffer a knee injury that season?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but if memory serves didn't Henry suffer a knee injury that season?

I don't think so. I thought he moved to WR when Dan O got the starting nod.

Reaction Score

DJ shared the QB position for two years with Matt Bonislawski. The moment Tyler L. joined the program, DJ became a wideout. If you think DJ (who redshirted by the way) was on a totally lower level of QB play than Bones, I don't know what to say

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
DJ shared the QB position for two years with Matt Bonislawski. The moment Tyler L. joined the program, DJ became a wideout. If you think DJ (who redshirted by the way) was on a totally lower level of QB play than Bones, I don't know what to say

Bingo. DJ was the best available.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. I thought he moved to WR when Dan O got the starting nod.

Pretty sure Orlovsky took snaps in mop up duty of week 2. Henry got hurt a few games later. It wasn't until the following year they made Henry a wideout. That's how I remember it ... I just know it wasn't local pressure forcing FHCRE to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom