Arkeel Newsome | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No ifs about it. The Huskies will be the surprise of the AAC. Finally, after three agonizing years, this UConn team will be turning heads instead of stomachs.
No ifs about it. The Huskies will be the surprise of the AAC. Finally, after three agonizing years, this UConn team will be turning heads instead of stomachs.
I call it 4 agonizing years.

Reaction Score
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions. While he might work out in no world was he ready for D1 football last year. Like Donald he should have been a redshirt. But when you have a bad team and a local hotshot there is a huge temptation to get him in there or give him extra chances. It happened with DJ Hernandez who had as much business playing quarterback as I did but was a local hero. It happened with Boyle who just happened to get his first start on homecoming as a true frosh. It happened with Newsome in a year that Diaco clearly had no intention of trying to win. So we wrecked Boyles career and lost a productive year from Newsome just to generate public interest. It is a huge temptation and coaches we've had have struggled to resist the urge to satisfy the locals. Recruit local linemen d-backs linebackers but let the quarterbacks and running backs go elsewhere. There are others just as good from New Jersey or Wherever most of the time.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions. While he might work out in no world was he ready for D1 football last year. Like Donald he should have been a redshirt. But when you have a bad team and a local hotshot there is a huge temptation to get him in there or give him extra chances. It happened with DJ Hernandez who had as much business playing quarterback as I did but was a local hero. It happened with Boyle who just happened to get his first start on homecoming as a true frosh. It happened with Newsome in a year that Diaco clearly had no intention of trying to win. So we wrecked Boyles career and lost a productive year from Newsome just to generate public interest. It is a huge temptation and coaches we've had have struggled to resist the urge to satisfy the locals. Recruit local linemen d-backs linebackers but let the quarterbacks and running backs go elsewhere. There are others just as good from New Jersey or Wherever most of the time.

Um, what?

Reaction Score

mother of god...............

Reaction Score
Um, no. I agree with the premise of mandatory redshirting incoming frosh for acclimation purposes. BUT, ignoring local talent at skill positions in preference for recruiting out of state? Obviously you don't subscribe to the notion of protecting one's borders.
To take your theory a step further, does it still apply if UConn reinstates it's lacrosse team to varsity level? Would you advocate forsaking the quality local players in local lax hotbeds who currently must go out of state in lieu of mutually exclusive out of state recruitment? It's counterproductive on too many levels. You will thumb your nose at talent who may help, you are antagonizing prospective future recruits & drying up recruiting roots, & you won't increase your fan base with those fans who would want to see how their local heroes perform at the next level at State U.
One of MANY reasons that I chose to matriculate at UConn was to follow the career of Vin Clements, a Southington star who chose to play at UConn. Just sayin'. (In full disclosure, I would have chosen UConn anyway as many members of my family are alums.)

Reaction Score
Only really played 4 RB's, 2 were freshman. Red shirt both? Newsome will be better this year for having played last year, nothing like getting handled in game to see what you need to get better at (you think maybe he takes ball security seriously after last year?). You do remember "Bones" was the other QB. Boyle just wasn't good enough to play as freshman, good coach might have seen something in Cochran and started him instead, that's one of reasons there was opening at end of season for Diaco.

Reaction Score
Then why has it been said in so many message boards and comments on local newspapers saying he played nobody and Ansonia shouldn't be ranked number 1? You must not follow ct high school football much if you didn't see what was said every week he ran for 400 yards in high school.

Give it a rest... you're not gonna win the argument or change minds. Let his play change opinions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions.
You are just full of sunshine.

Out of curiosity (as an honest and sincere question) why do you even invest any time or effort into following a program that you obviously has such disdain for? I don't see how it can provide any positive return on the investment.

Reaction Score
Um, no. I agree with the premise of mandatory redshirting incoming frosh for acclimation purposes. BUT, ignoring local talent at skill positions in preference for recruiting out of state? Obviously you don't subscribe to the notion of protecting one's borders.
To take your theory a step further, does it still apply if UConn reinstates it's lacrosse team to varsity level? Would you advocate forsaking the quality local players in local lax hotbeds who currently must go out of state in lieu of mutually exclusive out of state recruitment? It's counterproductive on too many levels. You will thumb your nose at talent who may help, you are antagonizing prospective future recruits & drying up recruiting roots, & you won't increase your fan base with those fans who would want to see how their local heroes perform at the next level at State U.
One of MANY reasons that I chose to matriculate at UConn was to follow the career of Vin Clements, a Southington star who chose to play at UConn. Just sayin'. (In full disclosure, I would have chosen UConn anyway as many members of my family are alums.)
Lol I'm sure UConn send Vin a thank you note for helping bring you there! But here is my overall view

1. protecting the borders is nonsense. Nobody does it. Not Texas not Ohio State not Rutgers under Shady. It is pure marketing nonsense. It make less sense in Connecticut than most places in that we rank down at the bottom in terms of the number of D1 players produced. There are high schools in Florida and Texas and California that turn out more than CT.

2. I wouldn't turn up my nose at a left tackle I thought could help. But I won't lose sleep over losing the next Tim Boyle or the next Newsome. Because the mentality of the state is such that you need to use him whether he's ready or not. With left tackles you can wait until they're ready. There would be no headline about him being a starter.
3. Other sports are different. Trust me. Nobody will be posting that Jones should be the starter because he's from Southington over some kid from Maryland on some lacrosse team mostly because nobody will really give a darn. Even UConn fans have finally gotten more sophisticated in basketball though it wasn't always the case. Winning national championships with all out of staters will do that.

Reaction Score
One last point...playing especially as a true frosh does not necessarily mean you'll be better as you go forward. That is pure truthiness. You get better by being in shape, being stronger knowing the system. All of which comes from practice not games.

Reaction Score
Let's hope we never have to go through another season where we have to play true freshman that aren't ready.

The plus of having CT players on the team is that it helps fill the stadium. Obviously we need to be competitive, but when you have watched these kids grow up and follow them through high school it is easier to get friends and neighbors to go to games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Newsome is a player that can help us at this level. Anyone who says he shouldn't have been recruited is utterly full of .

Reaction Score

Do you honestly think the coaches felt compelled to play DJ, Boyle and Newsome because they were from Connecticut? I give the coaches a little more credit than you as I Believe they make playing time decisions based upon what they see in practice. To not recruit a Connecticut kid for fear of having to play him early is absurd.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The Noel/Arkeel combo outside with Johnson running it up the middle has the possibility to be very effective. Of course there is going to be growing pains with an undersized RB - but if we can utilize him like Oregon does with their small backs we can turn some heads.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Newsome is a good example of why we are better off Not getting high profile local kids at skill positions. While he might work out in no world was he ready for D1 football last year. Like Donald he should have been a redshirt. But when you have a bad team and a local hotshot there is a huge temptation to get him in there or give him extra chances.

I don't buy your premise. Yes, I think would have probably benefited from a redshirt year. But I think was more our lack of depth, than trying to sell a "local hotshot". The staff thought his playing was a better option. I have a question for you. Will Newsome be better this year with a year of game experience under his belt? Or would he have been better this year coming off a redshirt? I say he's better because he played and that matters. We don't have years to waste.

Reaction Score
I don't buy your premise. Yes, I think would have probably benefited from a redshirt year. But I think was more our lack of depth, than trying to sell a "local hotshot". The staff thought his playing was a better option. I have a question for you. Will Newsome be better this year with a year of game experience under his belt? Or would he have been better this year coming off a redshirt? I say he's better because he played and that matters. We don't have years to waste.
Legitimate question. Here's what I think. He would have had a better career and been a more productive player had he spent last year getting into D1 shape, adjusting to the game at this level and learning the playbook. Once it was decided last year was a throwaway there was no reason to use him from a football perspective. He wasn't even the best freshman back on the team. I also remember talking with a former UConn assistant about the pressure from all over the place that was put on Edsall when he tried to redshirt Orlovsky. I always suspected it was intense but Apparently it was beyond reasonable. So I think the same thing happened with Boyle and Newsome. Bad for the program and the kids but good for the local fans press alumni "power brokers". And as far as local kids helping sell tickets, well doesn't that just support MY position?

Reaction Score
Are thoughts like this from something induced that is legal? :confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
Legitimate question. Here's what I think. He would have had a better career and been a more productive player had he spent last year getting into D1 shape, adjusting to the game at this level and learning the playbook. Once it was decided last year was a throwaway there was no reason to use him from a football perspective. He wasn't even the best freshman back on the team. I also remember talking with a former UConn assistant about the pressure from all over the place that was put on Edsall when he tried to redshirt Orlovsky. I always suspected it was intense but Apparently it was beyond reasonable. So I think the same thing happened with Boyle and Newsome. Bad for the program and the kids but good for the local fans press alumni "power brokers". And as far as local kids helping sell tickets, well doesn't that just support MY position?
I can see your point in the first half of the post. Maybe he would be better off in the long run if he had redshirted last year, but he didn't so we have to live with that. As for the "pressure" of playing CT kids, what has HCBD done to show that he gives a S*** what anyone thinks? I think Newsome playing last year had a whole lot more to do with Diaco's rebuilding philosophy, get as many guys meaningful game experience as possible, than it did the fact that AN comes from CT. I think he would have played last year no matter where he came from because that's the way BD approached the rebuild in year one.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While I have zero evidence, I have a strong suspicion that Newsome received a promise that he would play as a true freshman which is why a redshirt was never a consideration. As strict as RE was on the idea of redshirting there were a few kids he needed to give such a promise to in order to land them. AK may well have been a similar case.

Reaction Score
To actually put down into written word, and then post the argument that UConn should never recruit any talented local kid who plays a skill position because the pressure on the UConn football program and head coach is just so outrageously immense that they would crumble beneath it and burn the kids red-shirt year to satisfy the demands of the local fans and media....I'm speechless.

It certainly explains that mystery of why USC never signs any local Califormia kids...ummmm, they don't, do they?

Speechless.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I can't imagine Newsome received any guarantee of playing time. This isn't basketball and he had to earn time. I do believe he would have benefited red shirting in some ways to get physically stronger and knowing the offense but you also can't beat on the job training as well. Two weeks before signing day a bunch of SEC and Big Ten schools came hard after him. Don't know if it was because he was known to be eligible to play as he qualified finally or what but we almost lost him to major programs.

Reaction Score

Serious question: Did that former UCONN assistant know who Ryan Tracey was???

Reaction Score
If you recall Edsall started the season with a redshirt freshman who later became A very good receiver. He said he was going to redshirt Orlovsky if at all possible which did not sit well with the locals. A few games in he finally relented and put Orlovsky in for a few series. Then the other kid got hurt and he had to go with Dan. But I still recall his comments after using Dan for the first time after saying he would only do it in an emergency...All he would say was "Coach's decision". Keaton Henry was the other kid. FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom