Arkeel Newsome | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
There's a difference between being supportive of local kids and having a bias that prevents accurately analyzing their skills and weaknesses. Newsome is talented as all hell, but he's not playing if he doesn't hold onto the rock. I also think you're way underselling Johnson.
If you read my original post I said IF he can hold onto the ball. Secondly you look at his stats its 47 yards,65 yards, 29 yards in a game and he had the majority of the carries. Granted our line sucked but Newsome can get those yards on one carry. We need to open this offense up and he is not a threat out of the backfield. If your happy just running on 1st and 2nd down then throw on third so be it.

Reaction Score
I'm not from the Valley either, but Newsome & Foxx were the only two guys last year who could make something out of nothing.

It did seem that he never tried to juke anyone on KO returns. Maybe he was just doing what he was told. He was met at the 10 yard line too often.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's not possible or probable that our blocking on kick returns sucked? I may be hallucinating but I recall a kick being returned for a TD, then getting called back because of a penalty. I don't remember when or who. Never mind, couldn't be important.
Maybe you're recalling Boise State fumbling the ball into the end zone on a KO, UConn recovering for a TD but it was nullified due to a penalty. I remember that killer.

It is, of course, possible our KO return team was sub-par. It just my opinion that Newsome didn't seem to have the "it" factor returning KOs.

Reaction Score
Actually I am not from the Valley. Just root for CT kids to do well. Do you need to be from the Valley to see he is our biggest big play threat on the team?

It's nice to see local kids do well, but once you get on the field, it don't matter where you're from, or how you got there, it's what you can do.

I'm not sure that Newsome is our biggest play threat on O. I think that title is going to go to Noel Thomas, I'm hopeful at least that we've got a threat out there and a QB that can deliver. We haven't had one being featured in the offense really since Marcus Easley. Davis could have been, I suppose, but he'll get his chance in the NFL too.

Newsome has the ability to make game momentum changing type of plays, but until he can demonstrate that he can be on the field in multiple situations on O, he's a liability. It's that simple. It's not easy to be a back, you got to know the offense and be able to block. In all of this, you can't count of Delorenzo either. Senior player is not going to want to give up playing time. Newsome will get his touches, the coach has said so, and if he shines, he'll keep getting more.

Reaction Score
Maybe you're recalling Boise State fumbling the ball into the end zone on a KO, UConn recovering for a TD but it was nullified due to a penalty. I remember that killer.

It is, of course, possible our KO return team was sub-par. It just my opinion that Newsome didn't seem to have the "it" factor returning KOs.

That's fair enough. I didn't get the same impression, but it's ok to disagree.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From today's scrimmage...can't wait to see him "just go"...

- Arkeel Newsome may be that second back. The Huskies want to get him space because he can break your ankles but he ran like a power back Saturday and behind that second team line of Peart and Steve Hashemi on the left and Kyle Bockeloh and Trey Rutherford on the right wrapped around Oak. This group started slow and picked it up and Newsome benefitted.

"I was a little hesitant last year," Newsome said. "I have experience now and feel comfortable enough to just go."

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Surprised there are so many haters on Newsome!!! The kid was a true freshman playing the second toughest position in football for us. Of course the kid needs to block better as he probably never blocked in high school and being a 165lb kid straight out of high school isn't easy. Not sure what you guys saw but nobody on the team is even close to being electric as this kid. If you wanna run the ball 2 yards at a time then Johnson is your man, if you want a chance to go the distance then the only guy who can do that is newsome and despite his size he always seemed to fall forward. I don't know about all of you but I am tired of this vanilla offense. Get it into the hands of playmakers.

A dig a my POY favorite...

Reaction Score
I see Johnson and Newsome as UCONN's version of the Marion Barber II and Laurence Maroney tandem at Minnesota 2003-2004.

Reaction Score
From Fuller's Article on today's scrimmage:

>>I probably saw Newsome play in high school at least 12 times. I barely recognized him a season ago with how tentative he was when he carried the ball on run or pass plays and especially on kickoff returns. Today as I watched his incredibly quick feet set up blockers and tacklers and then see him aggressively dart through the hole, I thought to myself that is the Arkeel Newsome I remember.

"Wherever I am, I am just fighting for that extra yard and focusing on ball (security) and keeping my feet moving at all times," Newsome said. "Moving faster is just me knowing everything I had to do. I think it was a lack of focus and being nervous about making mistakes which made me a little timid and nervous."

When I asked Newsome is he was carrying a ball with him everywhere including to bed at night, he chuckled and said he was. Whatever he is doing, it is working. Diaco said all the running backs are doing a much better job in the ball security department than they did at a similar point during last year's camp.

"The ball carriers have been much better," Newsome said. "Obviously the proof will be in the pudding on game day but even leading up to this point, there is a lot less ball security issues." What does Newsome credit for his ability to run between the tackles without putting the ball on the ground? "Strength is definitely a big part of that. I make sure I am doing whatever I have to do," Newsome said.<<

Reaction Score
If there was ever a kid I wished got red shirt ed last year it was him. He just wasn't big/strong enough for the pounding especially with that line. He had some impressive runs,last year against Tulane that ended in fumbles when. He got rag dolled on the tackle.

Felt that with Mariner and Delorenzo you didn't have to burn both redshirts of the freshmen in what ended up being a 2 win season. In spite of that, I just hope he is better this year for that experience from last season. This kid has outstanding vision, and I think that gets confused with being tentative.

Reaction Score
If there was ever a kid I wished got red shirt ed last year it was him. He just wasn't big/strong enough for the pounding especially with that line. He had some impressive runs,last year against Tulane that ended in fumbles when. He got rag dolled on the tackle.

Felt that with Mariner and Delorenzo you didn't have to burn both redshirts of the freshmen in what ended up being a 2 win season. In spite of that, I just hope he is better this year for that experience from last season. This kid has outstanding vision, and I think that gets confused with being tentative.
sometimes experience is more valuable than a year waiting

Reaction Score
I'm not from the Valley either, but Newsome & Foxx were the only two guys last year who could make something out of nothing.

It did seem that he never tried to juke anyone on KO returns. Maybe he was just doing what he was told. He was met at the 10 yard line too often.
Certainly wasn't Nick Williams. Or Robby Frey.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams and Robbie Frey weren't primary return men as true freshman either ;)[/QUOTe

Frey ran pretty straight as I remember. Didn't one of those two fumble at Rutgers to help lose a game there early in their careers?

Reaction Score
Yep, good article, expecting big things from Arkeel this year. Should have the fans on their feet quite often.

Reaction Score
I truly believie, if we are going to exceed expectations to any great degree, this kid will have to really emerge to like an all league thired team level. This kid can be true game breaker whose highlights get played on sports shows every saturday night.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
Glad Diaco sees the talent in this kid. Everyone says Johnson Johnson Johnson he can run be he is no Arkeel Newsome. Anyone who runs for over 10,000 yards in high school has to have something special. We are lucky we have him because the big guys came hard after him right before signing day. He will eventually get the majority of the carries if he holds onto the ball. The kid is strong for his size with thick legs. Looks like we might have a QB and we have a highlight film play chance everytime Newsome gets it. If we're gonna win games he has to play big.

Reaction Score
I would not discount the possibility of Newsome being the 1A to Johnson's 1 in the backfield, if he can hold on to the ball. A small back can be good in between the tackles if he can keep his balance coming through the line. If Newsome really has bulked up to 182 (almost the exact dimensions that Terry Caulley played at), he could be very effective as an every down back.

According to the latest - Newsome 1, Johnson 1A!

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
According to the latest - Newsome 1, Johnson 1A!

Arkeel will likely be all over the field but I think Johnson will be our prototypical work horse. He's too good to play behind anyone and he's durable as hell.

Arkeel should be in the game with Johnson often as a receiving option and to keep the D guessing. I hate to forget Marriner as well. I think I like him more than the average fan. He showed some great signs of being a very good player. The backs are our top asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom