Arkeel Newsome | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Arkeel will likely be all over the field but I think Johnson will be our prototypical work horse. He's too good to play behind anyone and he's durable as hell.

Arkeel should be in the game with Johnson often as a receiving option and to keep the D guessing. I hate to forget Marriner as well. I think I like him more than the average fan. He showed some great signs of being a very good player. The backs are our top asset.

Info on successful college running backs 6' and under 200 lbs and less. Most went to pros! Big isn't always better! Excited to see how great Arkeel becomes in college!

http://espn.go.com/college-football.../1/1-dion-lewis-20-10-top-small-running-backs. (Todman mentioned)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ble-the-10-best-small-rbs-in-college-football (McCoombs mentioned)

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I think......it is safe to say that we have a good solid group of RB's. All of them will see time and each will have some type of impact. The O-line won't be what it was in the late 90's.....yet...... but will be much improved from last year. I do believe that. Looking forward to kickoff on 9/3.

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
Info on successful college running backs 6' and under 200 lbs and less. Most went to pros! Big isn't always better! Excited to see how great Arkeel becomes in college! http://espn.go.com/college-football.../1/1-dion-lewis-20-10-top-small-running-backs. (Todman mentioned) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ble-the-10-best-small-rbs-in-college-football (McCoombs mentioned)

I'm a huge Arkeel Newsome fan. Just saying, Ron Johnson is a great back I want Newsome to be great, but I don't want that to stop Johnson from being awesome too. I want them to be a tandem of greatness.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Arkeel Newsome fan. Just saying, Ron Johnson is a great back I want Newsome to be great, but I don't want that to stop Johnson from being awesome too. I want them to be a tandem of greatness.
DeLorenzo and Mariner are solid. Sounds like Arkeel who was elite class in HS will be the same at UCONN and beyond! Johnson should be a load, real 1-2 punch! Go power run game! If this develops, UCONN could be the surprise of the AAC!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Players can get better and we will be so much better if this optimism about Newsome is well-founded. But man, what's with all the HS baloney? This ain't high school. Look no further than the WBB team. Not only was Chong a Parade AA, she was the Parade HS Player of the Year. And she can barely get off the bench. Mostly because she isn't playing HS kids anymore.

Reaction Score
DeLorenzo and Mariner are solid. Sounds like Arkeel who was elite class in HS will be the same at UCONN and beyond! Johnson should be a load, real 1-2 punch! Go power run game! If this develops, UCONN could be the surprise of the AAC!

DeLorenzo was awful last season. For an upperclassman to put the ball on the ground as much as he did was deplorable and on the first offense play from scrimmage to start the season was just about unforgivable. Seems like a great kid and hopefully he can help out this season. He puts it on the ground this season and he finishes out on special teams.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
McCombs' biggest fault was not being able to sprint in a straight line without falling. He lacked top end speed and when he tried to push himself to go faster he literally just fell. I've never seen anything like it.

My 2 cents. Don't see it based on what I saw last year. UConn has been spoiled with exceptional backs and I don't see the same kind of natural instinct as a Brown, Todman, Caulley, or Dixon. Much more like McCoombs who was small, talented but lacked field vision and instincts to find holes.

With UConn's exceptional backs come with a serviceable offensive line. That said, you are both right. McCombs was too small to be an every down back in FBS football. In his third year, he went down on first contact almost every single run. I watched the YouTube video of Donald Brown vs. Virginia in 2008 and what struck me the most was the number of yards he gained after first contact. The man never went down on the first touch.

Last year, the fumbling was tough, but keep in mind that 3 of the 4 running backs of significance were freshmen (Marriner was a RS Frosh). Development is huge and we know that there was little physical discipline in the 4 years, B.B. (Before Balis). I heard earlier in the off-season that Newsome gained about 15 pounds. If that development is in his forearms I think fans can rest a little easier. I realize it is all we have to go on, but I think everyone who is predicting doom based on last season will have to adjust their expectations for the positive once they see the 2015-2016 version in its entirety.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Maybe if we deflated the ball a couple of pounds he can get a better grip
You get your sports news from Good Morning America, huh?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I should not have even clicked on the link, given it is USA Today..

That is an AP article written by CT based Patrick Eaton Robb that was picked up by USA Today

Husky25

Reaction Score
That is an AP article written by CT based Patrick Eaton Robb that was picked up by USA Today to generate clicks outside the state of Connecticut.
FIFY...

Okay, I read the rest of the article. It was better than I thought it was going to be based on the mis characterization of Diaco in the first graph.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
These local guys know how to get clicks...
That's not my point. This article was written yesterday. When was Media Day? Two weeks ago, give or take? That means Diaco further explained the context of his comments 2 weeks ago -1 day, but that doesn't provide for as catchy of a lead. It's easier to write a story based on a splashy quote and expand (or retract) on the bottom corner of page C9 three days later. Ask ESPN how it's done.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
That's not my point. This article was written yesterday. When was Media Day? Two weeks ago, give or take? That means Diaco further explained the context of his comments 2 weeks ago -1 day, but that doesn't provide for as catchy of a lead. It's easier to write a story based on a splashy quote and expand (or retract) on the bottom corner of page C9 three days later. Ask ESPN how it's done.
If the quote was about Mariner if would have a lot less clicks -

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I feel that the skepticism on newsome before camp is because Ansonia is hated in Ct high school circles. They don't play anybody etc etc etc. All I know if you run for 10,000 yards I don't care who you play that's a insane number. The NVL is not as bad as people say. Holy Cross and Naugatuck and Woodland and Seymour are all good programs. Diaco knows he has a special talent and by his words he is gonna use it.

Reaction Score
If Newsome turns out to be half the player that Terry Cauley was I will be more than satisfied.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
If the quote was about Mariner if would have a lot less clicks -

Maybe more clicks than yards. He only had 110 yards last season.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I think any skepticism about Newsome has approximately 0% to do with Ansonia High.
Then why has it been said in so many message boards and comments on local newspapers saying he played nobody and Ansonia shouldn't be ranked number 1? You must not follow ct high school football much if you didn't see what was said every week he ran for 400 yards in high school.

Reaction Score
No ifs about it. The Huskies will be the surprise of the AAC. Finally, after three agonizing years, this UConn team will be turning heads instead of stomachs.
Nice turn of a phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32