Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, CW should have called the timeout, but as Geno said last week, one play doesn’t lose you the game. That play is not why we lost. There were lots of opportunities to win, but at the end of the day, Arkansas was unstoppable and we did not play our best game

Reaction Score
First, this nonsense that Anna’s defense is poor is laughable. I see more players scoring close in on Paige than Anna. Obviously, a leg injury has affected her game this season. Why does the best coach in the history of the wbb give her large minutes? As for not showing up in a big game, Anna is one of the main reasons UConn plays as a team. Oh, well, it is useless arguing with the Anna detractors. Let’s see—how poorly did she play in our loss?
Let's get serious here. I'm a husky fan I'm not anti-Anna. She has been getting pulled off the court by Geno all season prior to her injury. You wanna bet on Anna's defense so be it.. It definitely doesn't win us this game tonight or against any other solid team. Anna is known for her size, her shooting and her passing. Only two of those things have been useful this season and it hasn't been the scoring option. Notice I mentioned nothing of her defense, when has literally anyone raved about Anna's defense except tonight when she wasn't playing?!

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
CW dribbling the ball after getting the rebound untill there was only .3 left. Smart play would have been to call for a time out as soon as she came down with the rebound. Announcers talked about that.
TO can be called from the bench. It looked like they thought, knew, it was a shot clock violation.

Reaction Score
This points out why Megan Walker was the leader of this team last year, neither Ono or Cwub are leaders, just good complimentary players. They remind me of Tiffany Hayes, good scorer, not a leader. Ok E is the only upper class leader, but it is her first year. No NC until this is clearly Paiges team.

Reaction Score
Fun game to watch except for the result
Have watched or seen every game the
Past 2 seasons and I go by the eye test
And not surprised by the result
the past 2 seasons the team has been very good but
Not been near the level it was the past
10-12 years and very beatable l
The lack of competition especially this year
Has definitely hurt
Arkansas shot the ball very well and we’re able to pretty much go wherever they wanted with the ball and UConn was unable to use their size to an advantage the game was played the way Ark wanted it to be played
To UConn’s credit they played hard and made a great comeback playing a lot of freshman.and turned what was looking like a blow out into a close game Any fair minded analysis would be that Ark was the better team
Have every confidence the team will continue to improve. And hopefully be a much better team
My hope is that those who post will
Not place blame on individual players
These are NOT PROFESSIONALS
Enjoy the games
Support the team and realize how fortunate
We have been over the years to win soo many games

Reaction Score
That’s an ESPN article, not vowelguy’s list
Vowel guy used it as if it was a fact stating “FYI” sooooo what information is for me? Boley over Dungeee ohweee LOL

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No post presence. Well, Georgia did not have a post presence and beat Arkansas. Tennessee used their big players more efficiently than UConn did. Arkansas does not play good defense especially when defending the drive. I thought UConn with Griffin and Williams would be driving all game. Also, usually when a player has a hot first half against UConn they don't score as much in the second half. UConn had no answer for Dungee or Ramirez. Allowing 30 points in the third quarter was inexcusable. If you can watch the Tennessee Arkansas game and see how badly Tennessee beat them. Also, where are all the Nika bashers now and the people who said Mir would not play meaningful minutes in an important game? Give the freshmen time.

Reaction Score
This points out why Megan Walker was the leader of this team last year, neither Ono or Cwub are leaders, just good complimentary players. They remind me of Tiffany Hayes, good scorer, not a leader. Ok E is the only upper class leader, but it is her first year. No NC until this is clearly Paiges team.
Or 's

on edit: = Azzi Fudd. You’re welcome -HN

Reaction Score
What a game! I'd rather watch this than a defensive slug fest! Quick thoughts:

1. Congrats Arkansas! You killed it tonight with your shooting and rebounding! Chelsea Dungee was unstoppable. Awesome game!

2. Loved the contributions from our freshmen tonight! Everyone brought energy and production! Happy to see Nika
and Mir play meaningful minutes and contribute! Aalyiah was a beast and she's only going to get better. Paige looked great post injury and let's keep it real: She's the future of USAWBB.

3. Evina is so smooth! CW played well and I hate she didn't get the W but she shouldn't hang her head. I hope she enjoyed seeing her family and friends back home. I know people will be hard on Liv, but I know she still has greatness in her! ❤️

4. The last play (E shooting from the corner) looked really good-- if only we had a little more time (and it went in of course...lol) A close loss on the road to a great shooting team is not a cause for us (the fan base) to freak out. The TASKK force was legendary but even they lost games as freshmen and sophomores. During this game there were 4 freshmen on the court and they looked great. I am so excited for what this team can accomplish with more games under their belt.

5. Loved, loved, LOVED Anna's shirt that displayed the heartfelt message by Gigi Bryant. It brought tears to my eyes and reminded me that love and friendship are greater than any win. Prayers to her family ?

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
Christyn made a mental error when she didn't call time out immediately after securing the rebound. She dribbled away 3 seconds. If she had immediately called Time Out, UConn could have advanced the ball to half court with 3 seconds on the clock.
I don’t believe you can advance the ball once it is in play. IF they called a shot clock violation we could have called a TO and advanced it. CW’s mistake was not immediately calling TO which would have given them 3.9 sec instead of 0.3.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow...did not expect that. Immediate thoughts:

-Chelsea Dungee is a beast! What a performance by her. Arkansas looked a little frazzled when they got down in the 2nd but she was so determined. Best game on both ends I've seen from her and she was the clear cut best player tonight. This should help her draft stock too. What a gamer.

-why did UCONN play zone for so much of the game? One of the bigger headscratchers I've seen from Geno. Arkansas was murdering them from deep and most were wide open looks from spreading the floor. It wasn't until midway through the third I believe that they switched to man, which was more effective but they couldn't stop Dungee.

-End game management was awful for UCONN. You're down 3 with like 34 seconds left, the opponent is 11-20 from the line, and you let them use the ENTIRE shot clock? By the time a timeout was called they didn't have time to set anything up. Even if they had 3-4 seconds, you're down three. Id much rather extend the game, put Arkansas on the line and let Paige create and shrink the lead. Really bad management there by Geno and great recognition by Neighbors to wait until the very last second.

-Bueckers is outstanding. Just give her the ball and let her create. She shoots extremely well off the dribble which is a rare trait in the women's game. Geno needs to tell her to just do her thing and have everyone else clear out. I think she's a better player than Dungee but Dungee played like a senior really wanting to win and that was the difference. Paige was more passive despite playing a great game. Once she switches that mentality to "I'm taking over" it's going to be lights out.

-Westbrook was excellent too. Outstanding shooting and good ball movement. She's really picked it up.

-Muhl had really good minutes. Played composed, hit shots, and played pesky defense.

-ONO with a no show. Not sure what's going on there, this was a game and match up that should've been tailor-made for her.

-Edwards looked like a freshman. Big upgrade from ONO in the first half but so many fouls. The last one was almost comical how she had JUST picked up her 4th, runs down court and immediately picks up her 5th for not being aware of where Arkansas was. With like 15 minutes left, too. She has the tools to be great but needs refinement and just more awareness to avoid those types of fouls. It's one thing if she's being aggressive and picking up fouls, but often times they are careless mistakes.

-I'm a believer in good and bad losses, but this is a bad loss. Arkansas is 2-5 in SEC play. They played well tonight but they've been a mediocre team much of the season. They just wanted it more and seemed a lot more focused and determined than UCONN, and I think Neighbors outcoached Geno this game.

Crazy thing is this is the first legit upset UCONN has had in almost 10 years. Every other loss since St John's was against a top 10 caliber team. Anyway, fun game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear you.. I don't see her being injury-free helping her guard any of those Arkansas guards. Anna struggles guarding quick players, don't think that would have changed or helped.
That we can agree on. I didn't mention her ability to guard quick guards because I felt that was a wash because those replacing her could not either so it is my view what she would add would have outweighed the detriment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t believe you can advance the ball once it is in play. IF they called a shot clock violation we could have called a TO and advanced it. CW’s mistake was not immediately calling TO which would have given them 3.9 sec instead of 0.3.
Actually, you can advance the ball to half court anytime you call timeout in the last 59.9 seconds of a game. You see it happen more frequently after a missed FT, but you can also advance the ball after a missed fg attempt.

Reaction Score
Tough loss but when a team gets hot like that....you just have to make winning plays, we didn't.
Liv just disappears in too many of these big games, and Edwards should start and hope she learns to stop the silly offensive fouls.
Aubrey and Liv are left alone on the outside because they can't shoot...it also makes it hard to pass as the 5 defenders are guarding 4.
We saw what Paige can do ( on a tender ankle) when she gets aggressive. When she decides to do that an entire game....40+ per game. She and Evina are our best offensive players, everyone else, just get out of the way.
Nika took a big first step tonight, bravo to her.
CW is just a good player....she never stays hot, gets killed on D, and doesn't seem to be clutch (missed key foul shot)
Geno should have extended the game by fouling , never let the clock run down to 4 seconds.

Reaction Score
Get well, Anna—quick.
Love Anna, but she would not have solved their defensive deficiencies, nor do I believe she would have found the open looks for her 3 pt shots to have success.

Reaction Score
I loved to see the freshmen compete, it's been awhile since we had options coming off the bench. Bottom line is this year is wide open and at this point the rankings do not matter. All of the top teams have had uneven performances. Dungee was really good though she did have that push off thing going. Paige and Evina were locked in. The moment was not too big for Nika and Mir stepped up. On to our next ranked opponent...Geno will have them ready.

Reaction Score
Not sure why so many complaints towards Edwards, she is the only big down there fighting and she’s a freshman. She will get there. You guys should be worried as am I about ONO. Her and Williams are as frustrating a duo we have had here. Both have it, I know they do, but I think we need to look to the pups, that’s who along with E is gonna get the job done for us. Next year is our year. If we lose, it’s down low. I’m no Genonor Chris, but it’s an oversight on recruiting. All of the elite teams except maybe Louisville, will dominate us down low. We are an incomplete team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No post presence. Well, Georgia did not have a post presence and beat Arkansas. Tennessee used their big players more efficiently than UConn did. Arkansas does not play good defense especially when defending the drive. I thought UConn with Griffin and Williams would be driving all game. Also, usually when a player has a hot first half against UConn they don't score as much in the second half. UConn had no answer for Dungee or Ramirez. Allowing 30 points in the third quarter was inexcusable. If you can watch the Tennessee Arkansas game and see how badly Tennessee beat them. Also, where are all the Nika bashers now and the people who said Mir would not play meaningful minutes in an important game? Give the freshmen time.
Georgia had a great post presence in Jenna Staiti 6'6" and sturdy she had 20 and 13 in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom