Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
South Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Louisville
NC St maybe when they get Cunane back
All those teams have had close games against inferior teams and Stanford has lost two, one to an unranked team.

Reaction Score
Gross! Thought we had some good moments but overall the defense on Dungee was garbage (even though I thought they could’ve called at least two offensive fouls on her). We didn’t learn and adjust very well from quarter to quarter either (speaks to our inexperience). I needed more from Paige in the first half but was happy to see her be aggressive in their second half. Love ONO and I always root for her (I live about an hour from where she went to HS) but she needs to wake up! She has been almost non existent vs. ranked opponents in her career at Uconn. Proud of our freshmen! AE needs to continue working on being aggressive while staying out of foul trouble (most of her fouls were super dumb). Not sad about this lost really.. I thought we deserved to lose & also think this will be a good developmental tool for the team (or at least I hope so). The future looks bright though!!

Reaction Score
Hmmm, when was the last time UCONN lost to a team ranked (or unranked) out of the top 10?

St. John's in 2011-2012?
That makes this loss a little more depressing.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed in our juniors.... CW and ONO should be leaders, and they fell far short tonight (again). Arkansas has no bigs, yet ONO was mostly useless... CW made her first few shots, then was horrible... her misses weren't even close... couldn't even hit free throws... Paige was awesome, and needs to be assertive earlier... Usually, UConn takes the opponents best option away, but they had no answer for Dungee...not sure why... partly because ONO wasn't in the game to protect the rim... hard to understand how we shot better than 50 % from 3pt and from the field and still lost... and we outrebounded them... turnovers were part of that.... in the end, it just seemed that Arkansas wanted ti more... heart, mental toughness... whatever you want to call it

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hard fought game tonight. It came down to the last shot. If you look at the box score, you’d think UConn won. We shot over 50% from the field and beyond the arc.

Arkansas shot 56.5% from 3. Some of them from way behind the arc. It’s extremely hard to beat a team that has that kind of proficiency. They were in sync tonight, period. It was a team win tonight for Arkansas.

We couldn’t guard everyone, so when their players got the chance to make a play, they did. Their defense was just good enough to get the job done.

A tip o the turban to Chelsea Dungee who came up HUGE in a big game against a top 5 opponent. It took a Herculean effort by her for UConn to lose. I doubt we’ll see anymore 30 point games from an opponent this season, or a team feed us a “90” burger.

Dungee is perceived by some as the real deal, and proved it tonight. She was getting anything she wanted. It was obvious early on that we were not going to be able to contain her, as she had 15 points in the first quarter.

North Carolina State also lost tonight in overtime leaving Louisville as the only undefeated team in the top 25. Next up, DePaul in Chicago on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why wasn’t that a shot clock violation with 4 seconds back on the clock? Interesting. But uconn had many opportunities to put themselves in a better situation, so that’s the bigger issue.

I think I’m ready to invest more playing time in the freshman. Our freshman really showed emotion and fight, but need to stop fouling so much.

I’m not sure at this point how to fix the abysmal shooting of CW or the disappearing act of ONO. Its the third season of this, and it may sound harsh, but I don’t think the solution to getting our next NC is them. It’s the youth we have on this and next years rosters.
Christyn was playing (and scoring) well and then (as she has several times this season) decided she should be a three point shooter, promptly missed four and then fell apart. I think she should never shoot more than four threes unless she makes at least two of her first four! She is not and probably will never be a great shooter! However, she could be a very good scorer. Why not play to your strengths?

Reaction Score
I really thought Aubrey was our best defender and was not sure why she did not play most of the 2nd half. I would never question our amazing coaches, but was wondering why we were playing so much 2 / 3 zone against a great shooting team.
Dungee went right by her too. Her spacing on offense made it easier to double down low.

Reaction Score
**Dungee is not a pro talent. She will have trouble making a roster, IMO. She is crafty, but that doesn't work in the pros.

**I'm convinced that all of Christyn's problems are between the ears. How does a guard, that's her caliber, and brick so many layups and miss that many FT's?
Inconsistent shooting mechanics

Reaction Score
Crazy thing is this is the first legit upset UCONN has had in almost 10 years. Every other loss since St John's was against a top 10 caliber team. Anyway, fun game.

#14 Stanford from the 2014-2015 season says hello. It doesn't really take away from your point though.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First of all, I'm glad UConn got to play this last-minute-scheduled game, even if it did result in a loss. UConn desperately needs minutes and reps after all the cancellations and pauses.

The result only confirms what many of us already knew, though perhaps some of us refrained, in varying degrees, from expressing it overtly: UConn is simply a lot more beatable, and a bit closer to ordinary than exceptional, than we've been accustomed to seeing in quite a few years. Last year we got our clock cleaned by three #1 seeds but, with a very light schedule otherwise, were not exposed in any other losses. Well, this was no #1 seed we lost to tonight. No hiding from it now.

As @vowelguy and others are pointing out, there are causes for optimism and hope to go with the requisite calls for soul-searching and self-flagellation.

I don't mean to pile on with his question, as I'm genuinely curious: When was the last time UConn gave up 31 in a quarter? Maybe in a Notre Dame game?

By all means, congrats are due to Arkansas for a great win, by any measure a historic one for their program. I appreciate Coach Neighbors for making this happen.

And so it goes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Folks are comparing this game to the St John's game
Bad comparison.

Arkansas may be unranked because they've played a ridiculous
schedule and lost to some pretty good teams they might have beaten.

St John's was no where close to their class. That was just a terrible loss.
In this case, Arkansas, a darned good team, showed up.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Georgia had a great post presence in Jenna Staiti 6'6" and sturdy she had 20 and 13 in that game.
Staiti sat on the bench most of the game. The coach did not play her much even in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom