Arizona writer takes a shot at Taurasi | The Boneyard

Arizona writer takes a shot at Taurasi

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Hell, a lot of foreign players stay home with their teams and don't even bother to join their WNBA teams the first half, and they're healthy.

But more importantly, I honestly don't understand how people can look at the situation this way, for two reasons:

1) The Olympics are a far, far bigger deal than this guy is intimating. If you're on the team and you sustain a moderate injury like this that needs some time to heal, you *should* shut it down in order to *make sure* you're good to go FOR ----G OLYMPICS. So maybe she could have come back a couple weeks ago. BFD ! How about *making sure* that one of our starters is healthy.

2) It's highly likely, though not even broached by the writer, that Phoenix's brass is playing the situation strategically anyway in order to increase their shot at getting Griner. Nothing's assured, but Penny Taylor is already out, and who knows what could happen. If they're not a likely threat to win it all this year, it's not the worst idea to do things that increase your chances in the Griner lottery.

He acts like he's surprised that she's "suddenly healthy." Duh. This was the whole point, to shut it down precisely so she would be.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
As just moving to Phoenix a few months ago. I have to admit I'm somewhat excited about us perhaps getting a shot at EDD. :D

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
As just moving to Phoenix a few months ago. I have to admit I'm somewhat excited about us perhaps getting a shot at EDD. :D

Do all Rutgers fans move to Arizona at some point?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
boring_class.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If Phx lands in the bottom 4, which seems likely given that Seattle gets Jackson back after the Olympics AND Phx is 5 whole games behind Seattle, they'd have a 75% chance or so to land Griner, EDD or Diggins, who I think will be the top 3 in the draft. Even tho they have Prahalis, I think Diggins is better, and one of them could always be traded for an elite center (Lawson is getting older - maybe Diggins to the Sun for Tina? probably not but...)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to say that this same question came to my mind. It looks pretty obvious that DT could have played earlier than she did. To me, she looks to be 100%, which did make me wonder if Phoenix had encouraged her to continue to rehab to be ready for the Olympics and to increase their chances of being in the Griner lottery hunt. I am surprised that this guy didn't question the Phoenix organization instead of DT. I think that if the organization had wanted her to return that she would have. He should be taking a shot at the organization, not DT.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
If Phx lands in the bottom 4, which seems likely given that Seattle gets Jackson back after the Olympics AND Phx is 5 whole games behind Seattle, they'd have a 75% chance or so to land Griner, EDD or Diggins, who I think will be the top 3 in the draft. Even tho they have Prahalis, I think Diggins is better, and one of them could always be traded for an elite center (Lawson is getting older - maybe Diggins to the Sun for Tina? probably not but...)

Well I'm a bigger EDD fan then a BG fan, so I'm biased to getting EDD. So I'm hoping we land the 2nd pick. And I think EDD could play the 5 in Phoenix's system and make a killing hitting that trail 3. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well I'm a bigger EDD fan then a BG fan, so I'm biased to getting EDD. So I'm hoping we land the 2nd pick. And I think EDD could play the 5 in Phoenix's system and make a killing hitting that trail 3. :D

If you want Phoenix to win a championship you should become a bigger BG fan. EDD will only add depth as she is not cut out to get banged in the low post all season. Phoenix needs a true center to go along with DT and Taylor. I am in no way saying that EDD is not a phenomenal player, but true centers like BG don't come along very often and you better get them when they do.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
If you want Phoenix to win a championship you should become a bigger BG fan. EDD will only add depth as she is not cut out to get banged in the low post all season. Phoenix needs a true center to go along with DT and Taylor. I am in no way saying that EDD is not a phenomenal player, but true centers like BG don't come along very often and you better get them when they do.

BG is a great player, but I just enjoy watching EDD more so. And the thought of watching her play with DT and Taylor is very exciting. Just what I like to see. If Phoenix gets GB I'll watch all the games on Live Access, sure. But if Phoenix gets EDD I'll be getting season tickets. :p

And I think EDD could help us win a championship. Just my thoughts.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I don't know - EDD has some LJ-type skills (not identical but there are similarities), and Seattle won it all in 2010 with LJ, Swin and Camille Little at the forward spots. Camille is 6'2" or 6'3" and not a major impact player inside. It can be done if you have a lot of talent.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Do all Rutgers fans move to Arizona at some point?
It makes me laugh - I know a 3rd alum, huge RU fan, used to work in fundraising, who has property here in Tucson and expects this coming FB season to be his and his wife's last set of RU season tix.

The truth is, much as we might (or might not, I suppose) love NJ, it is a very expensive place to live. My sister-in-law and her husband moved to Austin, and her daughter's family is moving there in the fall, etc. Meanwhile, here in AZ, the summer is "at worst" no worse than in the NE (we think it is better) and there is no comparison when it comes to winter.

HGN

Reaction Score
I honestly had wondered about the timing of DT's return as well......Seemingly she has been practicing and was pretty sharp in her first game back against Brazil. Whether she was trying to position Phoenix for the Griner/EDD/Diggins sweepstakes is anybody's guess but it does leave oneself wide open to speculation.

Is Fuhey full of phooey or is this just a funny tasting delicacy ? Only DT knows for sure.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is a great player, but I just enjoy watching EDD more so. And the thought of watching her play with DT and Taylor is very exciting. Just what I like to see. If Phoenix gets GB I'll watch all the games on Live Access, sure. But if Phoenix gets EDD I'll be getting season tickets. :p

And I think EDD could help us win a championship. Just my thoughts.

Fair enough. She is a beautiful player to watch.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't know - EDD has some LJ-type skills (not identical but there are similarities), and Seattle won it all in 2010 with LJ, Swin and Camille Little at the forward spots. Camille is 6'2" or 6'3" and not a major impact player inside. It can be done if you have a lot of talent.

BG's presence in the paint changes everything that your opponent does on offense. Any team that has BG in the middle and a good group around her will win a championship...probably multiples. Can you imagine having Taylor and DT on the perimeter and BG on the interior. Good luck stopping that team from scoring.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
BG's presence in the paint changes everything that your opponent does on offense. Any team that has BG in the middle and a good group around her will win a championship...probably multiples. Can you imagine having Taylor and DT on the perimeter and BG on the interior. Good luck stopping that team from scoring.

I agree BG would be most teams' first choice for a lot of reasons, but I was just saying that Phoenix could still win without a true center, like Seattle has done--and probably others.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree BG would be most teams' first choice for a lot of reasons, but I was just saying that Phoenix could still win without a true center, like Seattle has done--and probably others.

I agree that you can...but the chances of winning a title decrease when you end up playing against the best paint defender in the history of the game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Diggins to the Sun for Tina??? Not a snowball's chance in Phoenix! I'm not sure that the Sun would trade Tina for Griner or EDD (maybe for both!).

Tina is the difference between the Sun being a .500 team and a 15-4 team. I can't imagine that they would trade her for anyone who is likely to be offered. Tina for Diana - maybe.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Diggins to the Sun for Tina??? Not a snowball's chance in Phoenix! I'm not sure that the Sun would trade Tina for Griner or EDD (maybe for both!).

Tina is the difference between the Sun being a .500 team and a 15-4 team. I can't imagine that they would trade her for anyone who is likely to be offered. Tina for Diana - maybe.

Tina is a proven product and one of the best post players in the world. You don't trade a player like that. Plus, hearing that BG is playing for Connecticut is beyond my comfort level. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I must be the only WCBB fan that thinks Delle Donne may not want to play pro ball.
I actually tend to agree with you. I know we all talk generally about the big 3 from the senior class this year who will be drafted, but there's no indication EDD wants to play pro ball, nor that she'd consider traveling any distance from home to do so. Heck, a 4 hour drive from Delaware to UCONN was too much for her. I could see her only going to the Mystics since i think DC is a lot closer to Delaware than UCONN is.

Right now the bottom 4 teams are NY, Washington, Phx and Tulsa. If it stays that way, it's possible EDD could say "Washington or no one". If anyone else drafts her, they'd need to trade her to the Mystics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom