Arizona papers on Courtney Ekmark | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arizona papers on Courtney Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No offense to Arizona. Just saying it's hot. So is Texas, which is why I live in Denver now.

Snow, snow, and more snow! Connecticut is bad enough in winter, I definitely would not want to live in Denver.

Reaction Score
I love living in Connecticut because of the four seasons. To me, living in an area that doesn't have dramatic seasonal differences can get boring. Connecticut is not so far North that the seasons are too extreme or long. It's nothing like Minnesota.

Connecticut has lots of large deciduous and coniferous trees. This makes the look of the terrain totally different in winter than in summer. Snowfall makes for great beauty and the ability to participate in winter sports. By the time one is tired of the short days and the cold, winter is over and the beauty of spring arrives with the renewal of life longer days and gorgeous weather. Then summer comes giving the opportunity for getting out on the lakes, rivers and Long Island Sound warmed by the Gulf Stream. Just when you're sick of the heat and humidity, fall arrives with the magnificence of the leaves turning to a riot of color and nice low humidity days.

I enjoy all the seasons equally and always look forward to the arrival of the next. For those who spent their young lives in an area that doesn't have these dramatic seasonal changes, I think it's a great and memorable experience to spend time in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but 80 degrees and typical CT 80% humidity is definitely far worse than 80 degrees and 10% AZ humidity.

In fact the temperature humidity index tells us that 80 degrees and 80% humidity is about the same as 100 degrees and 10% humidity. I know that during my two trips to Arizona I didn't feel hot at all when it was over 90 degrees.

Reaction Score
Snow, snow, and more snow! Connecticut is bad enough in winter, I definitely would not want to live in Denver.

Denver only has about 10 more inches of snow per year than Hartford. Probably has less than northwestern CT.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In fact the temperature humidity index tells us that 80 degrees and 80% humidity is about the same as 100 degrees and 10% humidity. I know that during my two trips to Arizona I didn't feel hot at all when it was over 90 degrees.
Yeah, and that 20 degrees needed to offset the humidity is huge.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, but 80 degrees and typical CT 80% humidity is definitely far worse than. 80 degrees and 10% AZ humidity.
I agree. That's why I'm planning on moving to San Diego in 2013. :)

Plus, someone needs to keep an eye on Eric. :D

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I love living in Connecticut because of the four seasons. To me, living in an area that doesn't have dramatic seasonal differences can get boring. Connecticut is not so far North that the seasons are too extreme or long. It's nothing like Minnesota.

Connecticut has lots of large deciduous and coniferous trees. This makes the look of the terrain totally different in winter than in summer. Snowfall makes for great beauty and the ability to participate in winter sports. By the time one is tired of the short days and the cold, winter is over and the beauty of spring arrives with the renewal of life longer days and gorgeous weather. Then summer comes giving the opportunity for getting out on the lakes, rivers and Long Island Sound warmed by the Gulf Stream. Just when you're sick of the heat and humidity, fall arrives with the magnificence of the leaves turning to a riot of color and nice low humidity days.

I enjoy all the seasons equally and always look forward to the arrival of the next. For those who spent their young lives in an area that doesn't have these dramatic seasonal changes, I think it's a great and memorable experience to spend time in Connecticut.

Great Post Besti....and...it is close to The Berkshires Mts. where I spend as much time as I can.

Reaction Score
Courtney Ekmark was the one I wanted from day one.Geno does not accept just anyone's verbal if they are just sophs. When Geno offerred that was it for Courtney. Like her dad said, that is a once in a lifetime deal !I guarantee Courtney will not change her mind. With 2 more years of high school coaching by her dad there is no telling how much better she will be. Then Geno gets her... the sky is the limit folks. Every Boneyarder has someone to compare her to. I think she is a combination of Mel Thomas, Shea Ralph, and Kelly Faris, but a little better offensively. I have a feeling that she will end up being one of UCONN'S greatest. If anyone is worried about losing Deshields, or UNC having the next Fab Five, don't worry, we got something for 'em

Kim / slimmer56

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Courtney Ekmark was the one I wanted from day one.Geno does not accept just anyone's verbal if they are just sophs. When Geno offerred that was it for Courtney. Like her dad said, that is a once in a lifetime deal !I guarantee Courtney will not change her mind. With 2 more years of high school coaching by her dad there is no telling how much better she will be. Then Geno gets her... the sky is the limit folks. Every Boneyarder has someone to compare her to. I think she is a combination of Mel Thomas, Shea Ralph, and Kelly Faris, but a little better offensively. I have a feeling that she will end up being one of UCONN'S greatest. If anyone is worried about losing Deshields, or UNC having the next Fab Five, don't worry, we got something for 'em

Kim / slimmer56
Got to say that Dad sounds like a great dad and a great guy. From Rich's blog a couple days ago:

Courtney is recognized as a dead-eye shooter. But Curtis said that her basketball IQ just might be her strength. Her unselfishness and her desire to win are also traits that she possesses.
St. Mary’s does not keep statistics. Yet, Curtis Ekmark said that Courtney averaged more than 20 points “in all the games that mattered.’’ ...
“She could care less about stats,’’ Curtis Ekmark said. “The neat thing about our high school program is that all of our kids really came to St. Mary’s to be part … All of them could’ve been stars at other high school programs. But they all came to St. Mary’s to be part of something bigger than themselves. And that’s what Courtney enjoys. She enjoys winning. She enjoys playing on the best team. And she enjoys winning championships. And I think that’s what drew her to UConn is that the atmosphere is about winning championships. It’s not about individual accolades.’’

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Kim / slimmer56
Slimmer, welcome back!

Jim

Reaction Score

Exactly. Also Connecticut has the perfect weather for basketball. Snow in the winter means time in the gym playing basketball. Green trees and flowers in April, just in time for parades celebrating National Championships.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Got to say that Dad sounds like a great dad and a great guy. From Rich's blog a couple days ago:

Courtney is recognized as a dead-eye shooter. But Curtis said that her basketball IQ just might be her strength. Her unselfishness and her desire to win are also traits that she possesses.
St. Mary’s does not keep statistics. Yet, Curtis Ekmark said that Courtney averaged more than 20 points “in all the games that mattered.’’ ...
“She could care less about stats,’’ Curtis Ekmark said. “The neat thing about our high school program is that all of our kids really came to St. Mary’s to be part … All of them could’ve been stars at other high school programs. But they all came to St. Mary’s to be part of something bigger than themselves. And that’s what Courtney enjoys. She enjoys winning. She enjoys playing on the best team. And she enjoys winning championships. And I think that’s what drew her to UConn is that the atmosphere is about winning championships. It’s not about individual accolades.’’

She could care less about stats. I would feel more comfortable if she couldn't care less.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and that 20 degrees needed to offset the humidity is huge.

Which is fine, unless it's 30 degrees difference. :) 90 or 100 isn't too bad, but 115 is hot no matter how you slice it.
My biggest gripe about the Phoenix area (where ASU is) is the sun. My eyes are extremely sun sensitive, perhaps even more so ever since I nearly put an eye out with a rock last winter, and Arizona has a very bright sun with a very open sky and little shade. Even when I visit in March, just looking out a window from indoors can make me reach for my sunglasses.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Which is fine, unless it's 30 degrees difference. :) 90 or 100 isn't too bad, but 115 is hot no matter how you slice it.
My biggest gripe about the Phoenix area (where ASU is) is the sun. My eyes are extremely sun sensitive, perhaps even more so ever since I nearly put an eye out with a rock last winter, and Arizona has a very bright sun with a very open sky and little shade. Even when I visit in March, just looking out a window from indoors can make me reach for my sunglasses.
Absolutely, it isn't humid when you bake cakes in an oven or broil a steak, too.

Reaction Score
... Geno does not accept just anyone's verbal if they are just sophs. When Geno offered that was it for Courtney. Like her dad said, that is a once in a lifetime deal! I guarantee Courtney will not change her mind...
I quite agree. She did her homework and knew that the place for her to go was UConn. This is a pretty sensible choice for a high schooler to make if she wants to play pro ball after college. She can get her PhD at Harvard, Duke, or Cornell later.

Reaction Score
A UConn coaches question now: does anyone know which UConn coaches watched Courtney and were reportedly wowed by her playing? Was it the Arizona tournament that St. Mary's won, or was it other games?

Reaction Score
Eek! Help there are Grammarians amongst (bait) us!
I don't adhere to the beliefs of the Italian Communist Gramsci, so I guess I'm not a Gramsciarian, but I do consider myself a kilogrammarian, so I'll weigh in.

"I (he/she/you/they) could care less" is utter nonsense, unless you consider it an idiom (i.e., not subject to rules or logic). The intended sense is "I care not at all about (fill in the blank)," but the words here deny that meaning.

"I (he/she/you/they) could not care less" at least does make sense. I think that both forms are best avoided, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom