Aresco talks more about the new American deal with ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aresco talks more about the new American deal with ESPN

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
dm me your address ill send over some flowers

I just can't get over the fact the deal is a decade long. Even if ESPN+ catches on, we'd still be screwed and underpaid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Head Coach offered to pay out of his own pocket to retain an assistance coach. What further evidence do we possibly need?
The Head Coach said he offered to pay. That's not evidence, I literally do not take even one word he says at face value.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
lol the tv contract is done. this ship sailed

Football is the only sport that can generate million dollar + payday games on the road. That's got nothing to do with the TV contract. That has become a sad but necessary evil if we continue to pursue a P5 invite.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm clueless, but you argue that Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Butler and Xavier are all "a quick drive away"? Even Philadelphia and Washington DC don't exactly qualify as quick drives. That leaves three schools out of 10 that are. If driving distances have anything to do with it we should join the America East.

The NBE schools have small numbers of alumni and relatively small fanbases. The only schools in the AAC that are comparable are Tulsa, SMU and Tulane. The rest of the AAC consists of schools with huge alumni numbers and fanbases, which generate far better interest and TV ratings. The NBE has been losing ratings battles with women's games in the same time slots. You "back to the new Big Leasters" just don't get it and apparently never will. I'll agree to disagree, and I'm done responding to nostalgic fantasies.
hehe, 'big leasters.' kinda like saying 'bring back 8-tracks!' hehe, big leasters… too funny. I hear doris day is beastin at the nickelodeon, so at least they got that working for them. tippicanoe, and tyler too!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Football is the only sport that can generate million dollar + payday games on the road. That's got nothing to do with the TV contract. That has become a sad but necessary evil if we continue to pursue a P5 invite.

If you're argument is that you need to take payday games to keep the program afloat then you've already lost.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If you're argument is that you need to take payday games to keep the program afloat then you've already lost.

You enjoy creating straw man arguments. I never indicated we have to sign up for payday games for the football program to survive. I only pointed out it can be an additional source of revenue that has nothing to do with our conference TV revenue share. If you axe the football program the opportunity to use payday games to generate revenue goes away.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You enjoy creating straw man arguments. I never indicated we have to sign up for payday games for the football program to survive. I only pointed out it can be an additional source of revenue that has nothing to do with our conference TV revenue share. If you axe the football program the opportunity to use payday games to generate revenue goes away.

We are only using payday games because the AD is floundering and losing money. The biggest culprit being football.

You're talking to a guy who had tickets for a decade and went to 4 bowl games. I love the program and was a huge supporter. I think it's more than a cyclical downturn and rather a systemic disadvantage that were not going to ever compete based on the funding level for the program and the subsequent deficit.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We are only using payday games because the AD is floundering and losing money. The biggest culprit being football.

You're talking to a guy who had tickets for a decade and went to 4 bowl games. I love the program and was a huge supporter. I think it's more than a cyclical downturn and rather a systemic disadvantage that were not going to ever compete based on the funding level for the program and the subsequent deficit.

I agree that the present financial situation is dire, with or without any payday games in our near future. We have to get the football and men's BB programs turned around or most everything will eventually be on the table.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If we are going to cut every program that currently is losing money, then we have to cut them all.

But, but, but, CL, football loses the most! Yeah if also it responsible for biggest share of our media, IMG and Nike contracts. You may not like it but that's how it is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we are going to cut every program that currently is losing money, then we have to cut them all.

But, but, but, CL, football loses the most! Yeah if also it responsible for biggest share of our media, IMG and Nike contracts. You may not like it but that's how it is.

Source?

CL82

Reaction Score
If you want to see what the biggest problem is for us take a look at this:

Link to see changes over the years

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
Not sure UConn has much in common with any of these schools by being hoops first except maybe Louisville or Kentucky. Which ironically per those numbers, Louisville makes more on basketball.
Lol, out of a list largely of state universities you pick a semi-pro team with a community college associated with it and say that's the school that most like UConn? Seriously?

The point remains that the bulk of the money in college sports is derived from football.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Lol, out of a list largely of state universities you pick a semi-pro team with a community college associated with it and say that's the school that most like UConn? Seriously?

The point remains that the bulk of the money in college sports is derived from football.

Also, the B10 Conference still officially considers us a P5 school for scheduling purposes, and I suspect some or all of the other P5's view us the same way unofficially. If we decide to drop football that all goes away. The CR game is all about football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom