Aresco talks more about the new American deal with ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco talks more about the new American deal with ESPN

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The takeaway from all this is UConn doesn't have the stroke to drive conference-wide decisions. No one on this board should think UConn has some unofficial power that can pull other schools in UConn's favor. It's a vote of one.

That's true. We're the only school that's delivered any national titles during the history of the league, yet we've managed to become yesterday's garbage as far as the rest of the league is concerned. Schools like Tulsa, ECU, Tulane and SMU are driving the bus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here is what sucks about this arrangement. We are the only school who will bother to broadcast most of the women's basketball games. And while we can pay for the production costs of that easily, since our team generates actual revenue, we won't get that revenue. So the league gets a revenue producing product, and UConn funds 100% of the cost of it. That's BS.

The flip side is that some of the overall increase revenue is likely driven mostly by UCF, Houston, Cinci and Memphis football. We are benefiting from that right now.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Here is what sucks about this arrangement. We are the only school who will bother to broadcast most of the women's basketball games. And while we can pay for the production costs of that easily, since our team generates actual revenue, we won't get that revenue. So the league gets a revenue producing product, and UConn funds 100% of the cost of it. That's BS.

The flip side is that some of the overall increase revenue is likely driven mostly by UCF, Houston, Cinci and Memphis football. We are benefiting from that right now.

As far as AAC football goes, we have unfortunately become like Temple was to the old Big East...a doormat contributing nothing to the conference while we get an undeserved share of the football revenue. That Temple program got thrown out of the conference. I'm not suggesting that will happen to us, but it's likely how the football power schools of the AAC view us. To them we're a leech.

Reaction Score
The takeaway from all this is UConn doesn't have the stroke to drive conference-wide decisions. No one on this board should think UConn has some unofficial power that can pull other schools in UConn's favor. It's a vote of one.
The way this has broken for us, makes me want to jump in the ditch football and beg the Big East wagon. It's not like we've shown a commitment to fund football at a level where were going to rise to the top of this conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As far as AAC football goes, we have unfortunately become like Temple was to the old Big East...a doormat contributing nothing to the conference while we get an undeserved share of the football revenue. That Temple program got thrown out of the conference. I'm not suggesting that will happen to us, but it's likely how the football power schools of the AAC view us. To them we're a leech.

Agreed. Which is why UConn bitching about SNY likely falls on deaf ears. If football gets back to being .500 or so, and basketball gets back to Top 25, then we'd have an argument.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The way this has broken for us, makes me want to jump in the ditch football and beg the Big East wagon. It's not like we've shown a commitment to fund football at a level where were going to rise to the top of this conference.
We have among the top (if not "the top") facilities in the league. And we are deficit funding football. What do you feel is missing? I'd like to pay assistants a bit more and maybe up the coaches salary up a bit form the 1.7M Diaco was getting (I think) but other than that what do feel we are missing? Serious question.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed. Which is why UConn bitching about SNY likely falls on deaf ears. If football gets back to being .500 or so, and basketball gets back to Top 25, then we'd have an argument.
Nah, the reason it will fall on deaf ears is that current deal only really sucks for us, and there are 12 of "them" and only one of "us."

Reaction Score
We have among the top (if not "the top") facilities in the league. And we are deficit funding football. What do you feel is missing? I'd like to pay assistants a bit more and maybe up the coaches salary up a bit form the 1.7M Diaco was getting (I think) but other than that what do feel we are missing? Serious question.
You're gonna have to pony up for a head coach and assistants. Bringing Randy back on the cheap has us looking at 3rd consecutive disaster of a season. 3 seasons is what the previous 2 coaches got before being shown the door.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It was also a very bad look for Edsall to offer to pay an assistant extra money out of his own pocket, but the assistant leaves anyway. Part of the reason for the revolving door of assistants is the pay. There's way too much movement, plus Edsall made a catastrophically bad hire when he got Crocker from Villanova. We don't seem to learn any lessons from our mistakes when it comes to hiring football coaches.

CL82

Reaction Score
You're gonna have to pony up for a head coach and assistants. Bringing Randy back on the cheap has us looking at 3rd consecutive disaster of a season. 3 seasons is what the previous 2 coaches got before being shown the door.
Maybe, but there's no way you don't give him at least 3 years and probably s/b 4. REv2 coming back on the cheap for us seemed to be a good deal given the desolation left by first the idiot twins and then by Red Pants. Last season was really ugly, but hopefully he turns it around... which means at least having a vaguely effective defense.

If RE doesn't get it done, I'm not sure, barring a miracle P5 admission, we'll keep playing big boy football. I'm rooting for the guy, though I'm obviously worried.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but there's no way you don't give him at least 3 years and probably s/b 4. REv2 coming back on the cheap for us seemed to be a good deal given the desolation left by first the idiot twins and then by Red Pants. Last season was really ugly, but hopefully he turns it around... which means at least having a vaguely effective defense.

If RE doesn't get it done, I'm not sure, barring a miracle P5 admission, we'll keep playing big boy football. I'm rooting for the guy, though I'm obviously worried.
To have any hope, they're going to have to pay the staff in the top 4 of the league. If you're hoping to pay the HC a million and fill the staff out with FCS coaches can you honestly say you're shocked at the results?

This year could be worse than the last

CL82

Reaction Score
To have any hope, they're going to have to pay the staff in the top 4 of the league. If you're hoping to pay the HC a million and fill the staff out with FCS coaches can you honestly say you're shocked at the results?

This year could be worse than the last
Randy was worth more than a million when we took him (whether he is now is a different question.) It's not like we got a HS coach and took a million dollar flyer on him. Two DI head coaching gig and NFL experience. Diaco gutted this program. There aren't many coaches who could have done better with what we had in the cupboard.

Reaction Score
Randy was worth more than a million when we took him (whether he is now is a different question.) It's not like we got a HS coach and took a million dollar flyer on him. Two DI head coaching gig and NFL experience. Diaco gutted this program. There aren't many coaches who could have done better with what we had in the cupboard.
You asked what i thought they needed. I think they need to spend like a big boy program. If we simply can't afford to, then what's the point. I'm not saying the have to spend like an SEC school, but they have to find a way to get a legit staff all around to compete with the likes of Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis.

CL82

Reaction Score
You asked what i thought they needed. I think they need to spend like a big boy program. If we simply can't afford to, then what's the point. I'm not saying the have to spend like an SEC school, but they have to find a way to get a legit staff all around to compete with the likes of Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis.
Yep and then you talked about Randy's deal but that is more a prior coach doing us a solid than us cheaping out, IMO. UConn's facilities are first class and we're upgrading refreshing the locker room. It's not like we've doing football on the cheap. Burton and Shenkman are first class facilities and the Rent (though off campus) is a really nice place to see a game.

I'm concerned about Randy as well, and time will tell, but I disagree with the line here that UConn didn't invest enough in football. It committed to the upgrade and gave it a good a shot. Timing sucked. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Yep and then you talked about Randy's deal but that is more a prior coach doing us a solid than us cheaping out, IMO. UConn's facilities are first class and we're upgrading refreshing the locker room. It's not like we've doing football on the cheap. Burton and Shenkman are first class facilities and the Rent (though off campus) is a really nice place to see a game.

I'm concerned about Randy as well, and time will tell, but I disagree with the line here that UConn didn't invest enough in football. It committed to the upgrade and gave it a good a shot. Timing sucked. It is what it is.
Oh no, yes the committed to the upgrade. That's not what i meant. We tried for and missed out the P5 boat. What now though, hope to catch lightning in bottle? Randy doing us a solid? Eh, he wasn't getting another HC job in FCS. That solid went both ways when his kid got a job on the staff.

They have to figure this out going forward. Cheaping out on a staff is no way going forward. Crocker and others were complete busts.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh no, yes the committed to the upgrade. That's not what i meant. We tried for and missed out the P5 boat. What now though, hope to catch lightning in bottle? Randy doing us a solid? Eh, he wasn't getting another HC job in FCS. That solid went both ways when his kid got a job on the staff.

They have to figure this out going forward. Cheaping out on a staff is no way going forward. Crocker and others were complete busts.
Don't disagree with that, but who do think had a better resume and was available that we passed over when we took Randy.

Reaction Score
As a fan, I love this take but it has long been grilled into me that football >>>>>>>> men’s basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> woman’s basketball.

The notion that a single woman’s basketball program has more value than the best of the conference in any other sport doesn’t make sense to me. I know big time UConn WBB games have drawn well nationally. Do you have any other data that supports your position?

That's not what he means. It is that UCONN WBB is something that has a specific draw that might cause someone to pull out their wallet. It is the most unique property in the AAC.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Maybe you should start a Go Fund Me page so you can watch the games?

It's got zero to do with the money. I'm NOT going to help support the bastards at ESPN that deliberately helped consign us to mid major conference hell, while lining their own pockets and extorting tax concessions from the state of CT. Everybody at ESPN can rot in hell.

Reaction Score

There's nothing to be done about it now, and honestly I'm not sure if anything could have been done about it then, but the Rent being in East Hartford hurts the facilities advantage.

(playing half the basketball schedule in Hartford doesn't help either)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's obvious that the overall conference perspective is not "What's good for UConn is good for the conference" or "What's good for the conference is good for UConn". No man is an island by himself but UConn is on an island in the AAC.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It's obvious that the overall conference perspective is not "What's good for UConn is good for the conference" or "What's good for the conference is good for UConn". No man is an island by himself but UConn is on an island in the AAC.

It's not surprising. The only school in the AAC we have anything in common with is maybe Temple. Otherwise look at a US map. Almost every other school is southern. Ironically, we have a lot in common with BS College. We're both officially the red headed stepchildren of our respective leagues. Remember when the ACC consigned them to the Potato Bowl in Boise? The difference is they get to bank way more coin than we do.

C

Chief00

It was also a very bad look for Edsall to offer to pay an assistant extra money out of his own pocket, but the assistant leaves anyway. Part of the reason for the revolving door of assistants is the pay. There's way too much movement, plus Edsall made a catastrophically bad hire when he got Crocker from Villanova. We don't seem to learn any lessons from our mistakes when it comes to hiring football coaches.
I wonder if that was genuine or all for show knowing Dunn was leaving anyways? You notice he did not offer money out of his own pocket for Dunn’s OC replacement. Instead he promoted internally on the cheap.

Reaction Score
I wonder if that was genuine or all for show knowing Dunn was leaving anyways? You notice he did not offer money out of his own pocket for Dunn’s OC replacement. Instead he promoted internally on the cheap.
I think it may have been more along the lines of making UConn look as cheap as it is to force them to pony up more money. Then when none was given, he went with “you want cheap? I’ll show you cheap.” Sadly, our football program is now an underfunded pile of garbage and there are powers in the state that want it to go away, and will choke it to kill it if they can’t do so outright. Who goes to the mat over Corey Edsall? Who allows the state to go to the mat? Why did the former President play to the Olympic sports crowd? Your answers are in Hartford.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The Head Coach offered to pay out of his own pocket to retain an assistance coach. What further evidence do we possibly need?

UConn wants to fake hustle football and unless they want to fully commit (and no, buying new sofas at the complex doesn't count), then we should drop the sport and petition for an ACC or Big East hoops invite.

What's the end game at this point? Hope and pray Edsall can make us a 6 win team in a league that nobody cares about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom