Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All the respect in the world for their players. They can't compete at a high level. They aren't losing to Stony Brook by accident. It does them no good to join the league. It does the league no good to carry a team that can't finish in the top 100.

Reaction Score
The ideal physical condition required of an Army cadet/officer does not match well with the type of conditioning for football, especially offensive line. Navy (Marine) and Air Force can fudge it a little because well, for the most part (Marines and special ops excluded), they don't have to run around through the boonies with weapons and assorted stuff. I had a VN War friend who played OG for Army and was 70 in. and listed at 260#. You just can't get too much bigger and function. He survived a year as an infantry officer with the Americal Division in I Corps and complained much more about getting pounded in FB than with a VC mortar attack. He was 225# or so when he got home. Also note that having women take slots decreases the number of available males for FB, though that's true of all service academies.

True. I'm quite sure though, that if the brass at west point, decides that army is going to play football at the same level that navy plans to play in the future, which they are bound to do, the pentagonn will find room somewhere in the service for large officers.

Reaction Score
Army is terrible. I fail to see their appeal. BE may be able to regularly beat ACC in computer ratings in future years, which will definitely help with perception. It doesnt need more deadweight.
Having Army, Navy, and Air Force would bring in three of the most prestigious colleges. It would also bring a level of tradition we don't have. Finally, these programs have meaningful games that bring viewers. It's not all about wins or losses (see Pitt and Syr).

Reaction Score
All the respect in the world for their players. They can't compete at a high level. They aren't losing to Stony Brook by accident. It does them no good to join the league. It does the league no good to carry a team that can't finish in the top 100.
They beat bc.

Reaction Score
Did you mean to add atmosphere at the end of that statement? Because if you lose more than you win isn't it because of quality? Imagine a schedule with Army AND Memphis on it? That's 2 free wins against teams that would struggle in the CAA...

...then again, we may struggle in the CAA
Suggesting any of the academies lack quality based on their win loss record is a misguided statement.

I meant what I said...

Reaction Score
The military academies are considered acceptable adds because from a TV perspective, they still bring in eyeballs. Veterans watch them even if they suck, out of sheer pride in their branch of service. Of course none of them will be competitive nationally except on rare occasion, but if they can prove to bring in ratings, that's what matters these days.

I'm not defending the additions, and I still think on the whole they improve the conference very little to not at all, but that's the rationale behind them.

Completely agree with this. Was in a house this weekend with Navy and Air Force vets (just the armed forces not the academies) and they were glued to this game even though both teams were horrible. There are hundreds of thousands of people who have an affiliation to these teams. They usually are not good, but they will help in TV contracts, that is for sure.

Reaction Score
Suggesting any of the academies lack quality based on their win loss record is a misguided statement.

I meant what I said...
I don't follow. If they had their win loss record in the SEC that would be one thing,

2012 ARMY BLACK KNIGHTS SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
Sat, Sept 8
@
San Diego State
L42-7
0-1
Sat, Sept 15
vs
Northern Illinois
L41-40
0-2
Sat, Sept 22
@
Wake Forest
L49-37
0-3
Sat, Sept 29
vs
Stony Brook
L23-3
0-4
Sat, Oct 6
vs
Boston College
W34-31
1-4
Sat, Oct 13
vs
Kent State
12:00 PM ET CBS Sports Network Tickets
Sat, Oct 20
@
Eastern Michigan
1:00 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Oct 27
vs
Ball State
Sat, Nov 3
vs
Air Force
Sat, Nov 10
@
#20 Rutgers
TBD Tickets
Sat, Nov 17
vs
Temple
Sat, Dec 8
vs
Navy*
3:00 PM ET CBS Tickets

2012 NAVY MIDSHIPMEN SCHEDULE
Sat, Sept 1
vs
Notre Dame*
L50-10
0-1
Sat, Sept 15
@
Penn State
L34-7
0-2
Sat, Sept 22
vs
Virginia Military Institute
W41-3
1-2
Sat, Sept 29
vs
San Jose State
L12-0
1-3
Sat, Oct 6
@
Air Force
W28-21 OT
2-3
Fri, Oct 12
@
Central Michigan
8:00 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Oct 20
vs
Indiana
3:30 PM ET CBS Sports Network Tickets
Sat, Oct 27
@
East Carolina
TBD Tickets
Sat, Nov 3
vs
Florida Atlantic
Sat, Nov 10
@
Troy
3:30 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Nov 17
vs
Texas State
Sat, Dec 8
vs
Army*

Reaction Score
I don't follow. If they had their win loss record in the SEC that would be one thing,

2012 ARMY BLACK KNIGHTS SCHEDULE
Sat, Sept 8
@
San Diego State
L42-7
0-1
Sat, Sept 15
vs
Northern Illinois
L41-40
0-2
Sat, Sept 22
@
Wake Forest
L49-37
0-3
Sat, Sept 29
vs
Stony Brook
L23-3
0-4
Sat, Oct 6
vs
Boston College
W34-31
1-4
Sat, Oct 13
vs
Kent State
Sat, Oct 20
@
Eastern Michigan
1:00 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Oct 27
vs
Ball State
Sat, Nov 3
vs
Air Force
Sat, Nov 10
@
#20 Rutgers
TBD Tickets
Sat, Nov 17
vs
Temple
Sat, Dec 8
vs
Navy*

2012 NAVY MIDSHIPMEN SCHEDULE
Sat, Sept 1
vs
Notre Dame*
L50-10
0-1
Sat, Sept 15
@
Penn State
L34-7
0-2
Sat, Sept 22
vs
Virginia Military Institute
W41-3
1-2
Sat, Sept 29
vs
San Jose State
L12-0
1-3
Sat, Oct 6
@
Air Force
W28-21 OT
2-3
Fri, Oct 12
@
Central Michigan
8:00 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Oct 20
vs
Indiana
Sat, Oct 27
@
East Carolina
TBD Tickets
Sat, Nov 3
vs
Florida Atlantic
Sat, Nov 10
@
Troy
3:30 PM ET Tickets
Sat, Nov 17
vs
Texas State
Sat, Dec 8
vs
Army*
You want to judge army by whether they win or lose. All I'm saying is that may be somewhat shortsighted. There are very few schools that bring the tradition, history and prestige of the service academies. Regardless of how these schools perform on the field, the players on these teams are some of our country's finest leaders.
Having them in the be allows Uconn and the other schools to benefit from that association. the academies have a significant following, bring a couple marquee games, and have brand cache.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for TV ratings NBC got their two lowest Notre Dame ratings of all time last year. Those two games were against Navy and Air Force.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As for TV ratings NBC got their two lowest Notre Dame ratings of all time last year. Those two games were against Navy and Air Force.

Out of curiosity, I wonder (not a strong enough curiosity to actually do any research myself, but enough to wonder aloud on a message board) how NDU's "worst" rated games compared to our normal ratings.

Reaction Score
You want to judge army by whether they win or lose. All I'm saying is that may be somewhat shortsighted. There are very few schools that bring the tradition, history and prestige of the service academies. Regardless of how these schools perform on the field, the players on these teams are some of our country's finest leaders.
Having them in the be allows Uconn and the other schools to benefit from that association. the academies have a significant following, bring a couple marquee games, and have brand cache.
Well, we're talking about an athletic league, so to me performance on the field is pretty relevant. And as a rule, the academies' teams are not that good. For lots of very defensible reasons perhaps. I'm not sure that it is in anyone's interests to have Army and Navy going 4-8 in a good year. Frankly, I think they are all better off playing the type of schedules they currently play, where a winning record and a bowl bid are both within the realm of possibility. As far as the guys who play there, they are like any one else. Some are fine leaders, some are pompous asses, and some are just ordinary guys who chose the military as a career. They aren't better or worse than anyone else. Don't mean to sound unpatriotic or anything, but the near hero worship is really a little silly when we are looking to strengthen a football league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, I wonder (not a strong enough curiosity to actually do any research myself, but enough to wonder aloud on a message board) how NDU's "worst" rated games compared to our normal ratings.

Well the Big East average on ESPN has floated around and it's much higher than the ND 1.1 million floor. Don't know what floats around on the regionals Big East Network games but would doubt the SNY broadcasts get 100k.

Reaction Score
Well, we're talking about an athletic league, so to me performance on the field is pretty relevant. And as a rule, the academies' teams are not that good. For lots of very defensible reasons perhaps. I'm not sure that it is in anyone's interests to have Army and Navy going 4-8 in a good year. Frankly, I think they are all better off playing the type of schedules they currently play, where a winning record and a bowl bid are both within the realm of possibility. As far as the guys who play there, they are like any one else. Some are fine leaders, some are pompous asses, and some are just ordinary guys who chose the military as a career. They aren't better or worse than anyone else. Don't mean to sound unpatriotic or anything, but the near hero worship is really a little silly when we are looking to strengthen a football league.

I beg to differ. To say that "They aren't better or worse than anyone else." may be your opinion but you state it as fact and that just isn't so. Think LM is still on the Army team? Does anyone make jokes about playing Army early in the season like the ol' ball coach does about Georgia?
It's not "just ordinary guys who chose the military as a career", the ordianry guys who chose the military as a career don't go to military academies.
How many West Point players take UNC type African American studies classes? You think Dexter Manley could have gone to West Point while unable to read?
You must be unmarried and have no legal obligation to support a child to enter West Point. You must be nominated by congressmen or from military sources. Yeah, your typical Div 1a football players.

Reaction Score
You mustn't know any West Pointers or and Navy grads...I hate to burst your bubble, but I know guys who went there out a of a sense of duty, and I know guys who went there because it was the only way they could go to college and I now guys who went there because they wanted to play D-1 athletics and Army was the only place that recruited them. I know one guy, a retired General who is the worst bigot I've ever met, and one who retired as an Admiral who is one of the finest men I know. For the most part, the people who attend the military academies are as varied as any group and motivated by a variety of facotrs. they are regular guys(and I use the term guys much like Geno as all encompassing). That they don't take African American Studies courses (or Naval Sciences courses) a la UNC hardly qualifies them as special. Or did you not understand why this is a scandal at UNC? One would hope that Dexter Manley would not get into many schools, didn't he go to Oklahoma State or somewhere, including UConn if he couldn't read.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know one guy, a retired General who is the worst bigot I've ever met, and one who retired as an Admiral who is one of the finest men I know.

Before I ask this question, keep in mind that I don't know a great deal about the armed forces, but did you just say that you knew an Admiral from West Point?? Isn't the rank of Admiral a "Navy" thing? (I could be dead wrong about that, but...)

EDIT: I'm a dummy. I didn't realize that you were talking about both the Army AND the Navy in the same paragraph. My bad...

Reaction Score
You mustn't know any West Pointers or and Navy grads...I hate to burst your bubble, but I know guys who went there out a of a sense of duty, and I know guys who went there because it was the only way they could go to college and I now guys who went there because they wanted to play D-1 athletics and Army was the only place that recruited them. I know one guy, a retired General who is the worst bigot I've ever met, and one who retired as an Admiral who is one of the finest men I know. For the most part, the people who attend the military academies are as varied as any group and motivated by a variety of facotrs. they are regular guys(and I use the term guys much like Geno as all encompassing). That they don't take African American Studies courses (or Naval Sciences courses) a la UNC hardly qualifies them as special. Or did you not understand why this is a scandal at UNC? One would hope that Dexter Manley would not get into many schools, didn't he go to Oklahoma State or somewhere, including UConn if he couldn't read.

Don't believe any of your "I know" stuff is any more than made up. No one, and I mean no one at all, goes to West Point 'cause "it was the only way they could go to college". Anyone who says that, your statement again "it was the only way they could go to college" and they are talking about West Point is making it up.

Reaction Score
Nope. I have to admit I'm not hanging with generals or admirals.
And, I will say I agree that not all cadets or midshipmen are perfect.
but I'm not going to agree that just anyone gets into the service academies.

Reaction Score

Uhhhhh what? People don't go to the point just cause they couldn't go anywhere else. Do you know how hard it is to get in? You need letters of recommendation, a extremely high high school GPA, extremely high test scores and demonstrate leadership through extracurricular activities. These schools produce some of the brightest minds out there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uhhhhh what? People don't go to the point just cause they couldn't go anywhere else. Do you know how hard it is to get in? You need letters of recommendation, a extremely high high school GPA, extremely high test scores and demonstrate leadership through extracurricular activities. These schools produce some of the brightest minds out there.

Don't you need a letter from a congressman to get in?

Reaction Score
Has it always been that way? For all we know scooter could be like 94 and the guys he's talking about could've gone there in the 40's

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I just finished reading this interesting article:

http://bigeastfans.com/?author=1

"If the Big East can get all three academies along with BYU, the Big East will be certain to receive a television deal on par with or even better than the Atlantic Coast Conference. Television executives want to televise the service academies whether they have good teams or not and in the age of conference realignment, money rules regardless of on the field performance."

Keep in mind that it was written on a site that is named "bigeastfans.com". However, the author makes a strong argument for the value of Army, Navy, and Air Force, irrespective of their on-field prowess. I have to say that I would be pretty happy about those teams joining up with the Big East; I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Army. Enjoy...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
u guys see what the wisc ad said yet? great stuff just letting the cat out of the bag. were going to 4 power confs one day and splitting...hope we get a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom