Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early | The Boneyard

Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Mostly because I need to focus on something other than that abomination of a game today, I wanted to ask everyone what they think is behind Mike Aresco asking Navy to join the conference earlier than 2015 (the planned date). I couldn't come up with much, but here are my thoughts:

1) It is tied to the tv contract negotiations (ESPN being the most likely, since they are in an exclusivity period right now) as a bargaining piece for a certain dollar amount.

2) It is tied to the addition of another team becoming the 14th football member of the Big East (Air Force??). I don't think that BYU would care when Navy came into the conference, since their concern is pretty much tv money and bowl access.

Does anyone have any other info on it, or is there any speculation as to why?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
My guess would be that they team number 14 (whoever that may be) wants in for 2014 and they want Navy to balance the divisions. Or we want team number 14 in 2014. Either way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My guess would be that they team number 14 (whoever that may be) wants in for 2014 and they want Navy to balance the divisions. Or we want team number 14 in 2014. Either way.

I was thinking that was the most likely scenario too. I can't see a tv negotiation being held up by Navy's addition date. The question then is who the 14th team is, if they really have identified them...

Reaction Score
Scenario 3 could be that he is hearing 1or 2 teams possibly leaving....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Scenario 3 could be that he is hearing 1or 2 teams possibly leaving....

I didn't think about that. I suppose the more likely scenario of that scenario (that sounded better in my head) is that the league is losing one team and that Navy has to step in to accomodate for the loss. But good point, though...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Having watched BYU getting on national broadcasts most Friday nights, I don't see it willing to come over to the BE.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Aresco says it should not be assumed the league will only add a school currently playing football as an independent.
That would seem to support Air Force being involved, though it might be a tactic to put pressure on BYU. However I have to think if BYU were in communication with the BE and the TV negotiations, we would have probably heard something leaked by now.

About Nova - it doesn't make sense, since things are being driven by TV for 2014, and Nova would probably not be able to host games by then barring some kind of miracle.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Having watched BYU getting on national broadcasts most Friday nights, I don't see it willing to come over to the BE.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking you're right. The only thing that I'll say is that they may begin to get worried about the new big bowl system (and being locked out of it), and it may push them to make some concessions with their tv rights / tv demands. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but I can't see a lot of ways that they play in that "7th bowl" or in the playoff bowls with their status quo...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That would seem to support Air Force being involved, though it might be a tactic to put pressure on BYU. However I have to think if BYU were in communication with the BE and the TV negotiations, we would have probably heard something leaked by now.

About Nova - it doesn't make sense, since things are being driven by TV for 2014, and Nova would probably not be able to host games by then barring some kind of miracle.

Since I know almost nothing about how tv deals work, is the BYUtv thing "underwritten" by a major network (like the LonghornNetwork is by ESPN)? If so, perhaps ESPN, the Big East, and BYU are working behind the scenes to come up with an equitable result, due to the new found playoff and bowl pressures, and the "independent" comment is just to throw people off the scent. Keep in mind that Aresco made a comment a few weeks back that said he indeed was looking at independents primarily...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get BYUtv. If there is a major organization behind that thing I'd be shocked. It's public access quality.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I get BYUtv. If there is a major organization behind that thing I'd be shocked. It's public access quality.

So that is completely done on their own? They don't get any help from an ESPN or a FOX? If so, that's impressive, but I wonder how much money that ends up making them. I would think that they would stand to make more if they joined a conference, but then again, I have no idea how much they make per year...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So that is completely done on their own? They don't get any help from an ESPN or a FOX? If so, that's impressive, but I wonder how much money that ends up making them. I would think that they would stand to make more if they joined a conference, but then again, I have no idea how much they make per year...

I doubt BYUtv makes a cent. It exists to further the goals of their church. They care more about pushing their religion outside the country than a few extra million for the football team. I only know I get the station because it had the WCC tournament early rounds.

They get a million a football home game from ESPN I believe.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I doubt BYUtv makes a cent. It exists to further the goals of their church. They care more about pushing their religion outside the country than a few extra million for the football team. I only know I get the station because it had the WCC tournament early rounds.

They get a million a football home game from ESPN I believe.

Wow. If that's true, that's incredible! How many home games do they get on ESPN? Let's say they have 3, then they get 3 million a year. That's not chump change, but it isn't big conference money. The NBE likely would get them triple that, and the Big12 would get them a great deal more. I know that their church-pushing is worth more to them than the money, but that's a lot of dollars that Romney is gonna have to make up!! :eek:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow. If that's true, that's incredible! How many home games do they get on ESPN? Let's say they have 3, then they get 3 million a year. That's not chump change, but it isn't big conference money. The NBE likely would get them triple that, and the Big12 would get them a great deal more. I know that their church-pushing is worth more to them than the money, but that's a lot of dollars that Romney is gonna have to make up!! :eek:

Must be an ESPN call - 6 home games - 3 on ESPN 1 on ABC. Weber State wasn't on and Idaho shows no TV yet.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I believe they get as many as they schedule. I think they have 7 this year.

So ESPN covers their entire home schedule??? Okay, then I guess that makes a little more sense that they are resisting joining up with us, if they already make 7 million on their own. The only thing that would entice them at that point is the "7th Big Bowl" tie in and the playoff implications.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you don't think being an independent sucks - BYU closes with Idaho @SJSU @NMSU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So ESPN covers their entire home schedule??? Okay, then I guess that makes a little more sense that they are resisting joining up with us, if they already make 7 million on their own. The only thing that would entice them at that point is the "7th Big Bowl" tie in and the playoff implications.

Yeah I edited after checking it out - I didnt think they could schedule FCS teams and I would imagine ESPN has an option on that Idaho game since it's a TBA start with no TV listed.

They will end up with 10 games on National TV if you count ESPNU.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you don't think being an independent sucks - BYU closes with Idaho @SJSU @NMSU

Look at it another way; they are getting paid $500,000 for each of those games by ESPN!!! (assuming that they had a home-and-home arrangement) Nice to get 1.5 million dollars for three wins...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, okay. I have to revise my math now that you've revised the ESPN deal...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah I edited after checking it out - I didnt think they could schedule FCS teams and I would imagine ESPN has an option on that Idaho game since it's a TBA start with no TV listed.

They will end up with 10 games on National TV if you count ESPNU.

Okay, so the revised tally is essentially around 4 million through ESPN. Based on that, and assuming that they would believe that joining a major conference "furthers their religious mission", then it would certainly make sense for them to join the Big East. It sounds like BYU wants the best of both worlds, though (the money AND the tv channel)...

Reaction Score
This is the NOTRE DAME problem.

They want to PLAY National Name Brands. It's important to them. But, as conference play gets in swing; they are left with lesser name opponents. That was one of the prime reasons given for why ND wanted to be in the ACC. No more Tulsa or Western Michigan on the schedule. Games in the latter part of the season that are interesting.

The numbers? BYU is outside the Big5 & deserves a good sized number. I don't think they will be in the B12.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Okay, so the revised tally is essentially around 4 million through ESPN. Based on that, and assuming that they would believe that joining a major conference "furthers their religious mission", then it would certainly make sense for them to join the Big East. It sounds like BYU wants the best of both worlds, though (the money AND the tv channel)...

If one didn't like ND in the league on the Irish's terms...

I don't think they are joining the league. I imagine they will keep trying to add Air Force. Honestly at this point I'd rather just invite ECU. At the very least they have fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom