Are we done for 16 recruiting? | The Boneyard

Are we done for 16 recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those in the know, also how many schollies are left if any?

Reaction Score
That depends upon what Purvis, Hamilton & Brimah do at the end of the season.

2015-16:
PG: Gibbs, Adams
SG: Purvis, Cassell
SF: Hamilton, Calhoun, Larrier (RS)
PF: Miller, Facey, Foxen
C: Brimah, Nolan, Enoch

2016-17:
PG: Adams, Gilbert
SG: Cassell
SF: Larrier, Jackson
PF: Facey, Diarra, Foxen
C: Enoch, Durham

So if all three guys go, we'd have three schollies open.

I suspect that we're holding a spot open for Hamidou Diallo under the assumption that he'll reclassify. Beyond that, I'd expect us to be a player in spring after we see who declares, who decommits from elsewhere, and who's available in the transfer market.

As you can see above, we most likely need to add some backcourt depth.

Reaction Score
That depends upon what Purvis, Hamilton & Brimah do at the end of the season.

2015-16:
PG: Gibbs, Adams
SG: Purvis, Cassell
SF: Hamilton, Calhoun, Larrier (RS)
PF: Miller, Facey, Foxen
C: Brimah, Nolan, Enoch

2016-17:
PG: Adams, Gilbert
SG: Cassell
SF: Larrier, Jackson
PF: Facey, Diarra, Foxen
C: Enoch, Durham

So if all three guys go, we'd have three schollies open.

I suspect that we're holding a spot open for Hamidou Diallo under the assumption that he'll reclassify. Beyond that, I'd expect us to be a player in spring after we see who declares, who decommits from elsewhere, and who's available in the transfer market.

As you can see above, we most likely need to add some backcourt depth.

This is all true but I imagine that KO is recruiting as if there is already a scholarship open - Foxen is certainly not a guarantee to get another year.

Reaction Score

There is at least one scholarship open, and quite possibly five. I would be shocked if at least 2 more scholarships don't open in addition to the 1 that already exists.

If Purvis, Hamilton and Brimah leave early, and Cassell graduates and finishes his eligibility at another school, there would be five.

Reaction Score
There is at least one scholarship open, and quite possibly five. I would be shocked if at least 2 more scholarships don't open in addition to the 1 that already exists.

If Purvis, Hamilton and Brimah leave early, and Cassell graduates and finishes his eligibility at another school, there would be five.

I would get this Cassell hypothetical out of your mind.

Reaction Score

It's not a hypothetical. It's a statement of potential options. If anyone has a hypothesis, its you. Your hypothesis is that Cassel will use his 5th year.

I have no idea what he will do. This is Cassel's 4th year of eligibility. Not all guys use their fifth year. Some guys use their fifth year elsewhere. I just don't think it's ever wise to count on a kid coming back for their fifth year. There are many other plausible options - give up basketball, play professionally, play at another school and get a graduate degree. Or continue his education at UConn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

This a thousand times over. Slight correction re. your earlier post: I do not believe that Foxen is on scholarship this year. It seems that instead, he is a walk-on who will be dressing for every game this year, much like Dan Guest or Terrance Ditimi last year. I could be wrong though.

Reaction Score
Unless Diallo reclassifies, yes.
If Purvis, Brimah, and Hamilton all leave next years squad would be..
Fr. Alterique Gilbert
So. Jalen Adams
Sr. Sam Cassell
Fr. Vance Jackson
So. Terry Larrier
Fr. Mamadou Diarra
So. Steven Enoch
Fr. Juwan Durham
Sr. Kentan Facey
Add in Diallo to that mix and we have one talented (yet young) squad.

Reaction Score
This a thousand times over. Slight correction re. your earlier post: I do not believe that Foxen is on scholarship this year. It seems that instead, he is a walk-on who will be dressing for every game this year, much like Dan Guest or Terrance Ditimi last year. I could be wrong though.

Gotcha. So Matrim is off, and there is already 1 spot available, with the potential of 3 early entries.

It's not a hypothetical. It's a statement of potential options. If anyone has a hypothesis, its you. Your hypothesis is that Cassel will use his 5th year.

I have no idea what he will do. This is Cassel's 4th year of eligibility. Not all guys use their fifth year. Some guys use their fifth year elsewhere. I just don't think it's ever wise to count on a kid coming back for their fifth year. There are many other plausible options - give up basketball, play professionally, play at another school and get a graduate degree. Or continue his education at UConn.

OK. Technically, Jalen could decide he doesn't like basketball anymore and decide to become a nurse. Its a potential option. You do realize that there are 2 guards on next years roster not named Sam Cassell, right?

Reaction Score
UConn has had a lot of transfers historically. Lots of kids finish their 5th year elsewhere or don't use their 5th year (look at how many kids have picked UConn for their 5th year). I think it's very naive to think that everyone who can come back (excluding the potential early entry guys), will be back. Plus, you have Durham who may or may not be ready next year.

UConn could end up very, very short on bodies if they don't sign at least 2 more kids for 2016.

Reaction Score
Gotcha. So Matrim is off, and there is already 1 spot available, with the potential of 3 early entries.

OK. Technically, Jalen could decide he doesn't like basketball any more and decides to become a nurse. It is a potential option. You do realize that there are 2 guards on next years roster not named Sam Cassell, right?

Your're right - he might. It's just that kids not using their 5th year of eligibility or using it at another school is about 1000X more like likely than a McDonald's all american quitting basketball after his freshman year to become a nurse.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When a kid has eligibility remaining, it's a given that you assume he will use it unless his words or actions reflect otherwise. So ridiculous transfer speculation is hypothetical.

Reaction Score
UConn has had a lot of transfers historically. Lots of kids finish their 5th year elsewhere or don't use their 5th year (look at how many kids have picked UConn for their 5th year). I think it's very naive to think that everyone who can come back (excluding the potential early entry guys), will be back. Plus, you have Durham who may or may not be ready next year.

UConn could end up very, very short on bodies if they don't sign at least 2 more kids for 2016.
It's been board policy for forever now not to speculate on transfers....so don't

Reaction Score
Guys - my apologies if the mention of Cassel using his fifth year elsewhere upset people. I did not intend to specifically suggest that will be the case. What I meant to say, is that we should not assume that the default option for a player is to use their fifth year of eligibility. There are a lot of other options. No speculation as to which he will pick.

Likewise, you never know if an underclassman will transfer. No speculation as to who that could be.

As it stands now, UConn would have 12 scholarship players for 2016. 1 kid is coming off a major injury, 3 could go pro early, 1 could transfer, 1 could choose not to use his fifth year. The chances of all those happening are about 0%. The chance of at least 1 or 2? Close to 100%.

Hoping UConn lands Diallo and one surprise for next year.

Reaction Score
It's been board policy for forever now not to speculate on transfers....so don't

I thought you weren't supposed to speculation on a specific player transferring? I don't think there is a ban on mentioning the theoretical possibility of a transfer, without mentioning a name.

I've been careful not to mention any names for possible transfers. Cassel can't transfer - he can graduate. As far as I know, there is no board policy against speculating on a player graduating.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Check the very first thread. It's pinned. Tcf created it. It has everything you need to know about recruiting for 2016. It's excellent. The only thing it doesn't have is Hamidou because there is no certainty if he is reclassifying for 2016.

Reaction Score
When a kid has eligibility remaining, it's a given that you assume he will use it unless his words or actions reflect otherwise. So ridiculous transfer speculation is hypothetical.

I don't believe it is possible for Cassel to transfer at this point.

Reaction Score
Your're right - he might. It's just that kids not using their 5th year of eligibility or using it at another school is about 1000X more like likely than a McDonald's all american quitting basketball after his freshman year to become a nurse.

You are describing an absolute worst case scenario: Three guys leaving early, Durham not being ready, and guys transferring. Sure it could happen, but I don't think it's very likely.

Kids typically transfer when playing time is unavailable. If Purvis, Hamilton and Brimah all leave, a bunch of playing time opens up for the rest of the guys and the likelihood of transfers goes down.

Reaction Score

And that's a pretty big assumption on your part.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting what I think Cassell will do. I'm just pointing out the fact that he may graduate, and I'm not going to make any assumptions as to what Cassell will do once he graduates.

Reaction Score
You are describing an absolute worst case scenario: Three guys leaving early, Durham not being ready, and guys transferring. Sure it could happen, but I don't think it's very likely.

Kids typically transfer when playing time is unavailable. If Purvis, Hamilton and Brimah all leave, a bunch of playing time opens up for the rest of the guys and the likelihood of transfers goes down.

I agree - I don't think all of them will happen. I think 1 or 2 will.

Reaction Score
we definitely could use a guard in 2016/2017. assuming diallo stays in 2017, i expect Hamilton to shift to combo guard territory ala evan turner if we don't get another pg/sg . think he plays a year with vance

Reaction Score
I thought you weren't supposed to speculation on a specific player transferring? I don't think there is a ban on mentioning the theoretical possibility of a transfer, without mentioning a name.

I've been careful not to mention any names for possible transfers. Cassel can't transfer - he can graduate. As far as I know, there is no board policy against speculating on a player graduating.
It seems that you are just trying to be difficult.

Reaction Score
It seems that you are just trying to be difficult.

No, it seems like some people on this board are trying to be difficult. Additional scholarships are almost certain to open up next year. There are a lot of ways that can potentially happen - transfer, NBA, graduation, giving up basketball to become a nurse. Some on this board are too big of homers to even discuss the possibilities, for purposes of trying to discuss where this class might or should end up, in terms of size.

I'm trying to have real conversation, and abide by the rules of the board. I didn't mention a kid's name in connection with transfer.

Reaction Score
I agree - I don't think all of them will happen. I think 1 or 2 will.

I think we look to add one more in this class, bringing us to 13. If we lose 1 or 2 guys at the end of the year, we can be extremely selective from the transfer/decommitment market, and maybe even stand pat if we're covered at all positions. If we lose three or more, then being aggressive and creative late in the game becomes a necessity.

Either way, next year's squad is either going to be extremely loaded or a year away from being extremely loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom