Are We Being Disingenuous? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Are We Being Disingenuous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People can spin it any way they want, but the truth is Swofford and the ACC invited Louisville in pure panic. They essentially compromised every factor that should go into a decision like this and instead reacted on sheer impulse. Because of it, the ACC will always remain unstable and a weak P5 conference. In one short week, they didn't fill the void of Maryland's departure, they simply put a band aid over it. I suppose, because ESPN reported it, that its fact they were selected over UConn and that Jurich was aggressive while WM ate donuts in the Caribbean. Does that really make sense?

There are many reasons to believe, besides pure fantasy, that UConn, even back then had their eyes on the Big10 and perhaps weren't a real option in the first place. If the ACC was what UConn desired, the silence and alarming inaction by this school's administration and state politicians should be career ending. Couple that with specific and expensive moves/investment that only helps build a Big 10 profile, the path UConn decided to take is obvious to the objective observer. This will happen and as far-fetched this may seem to some people on here, I find any other result even more surprising. Competent and intelligent people with strong resumes have put UConn "all in" and a miss at this point will not only end their careers but could cripple the University. No one is that stupid.

Reaction Score
Here are a few things… Lawsuit, APR, Calhoun's many quotes about BC and the ACC, Calhoun's poor reputation with the NCAA, CT AG's quotes on BC, the ACC, and Swofford. No other school did that much damage to itself with so much arrogance. From the attitude of most on this thread I can see that the fan base attitude mirrors the UCONN administration during CR which can't help.

You're a cutie.

We're probably more arrogant now given that we keep winning stuff and our various neighbors keep swallowing their own balls. And the problem with what everyone said about Boston College was that it was all true - you've conveniently forgotten that some of your new old conference mates also pointed out that Boston College's administration had a aversion to honesty.

In any event, we'll take the garbage out early with this particular troll.
I don't know if this guy's trollhood is legit or not, but this post isn't proof of it. He was answering my original post (albeit indirectly) candidly. He shouldn't be faulted for that. I admitted from the get-go that the topic could be painful. Self-examination often is. The purpose of my question was to gain insight. Why do our former partners, now in the ACC, hold us in such low esteem? Hell, even Muffet McGraw brought out the long knives over the winter. If anybody's earned his esteem badge, it's Auriemma.

Forget Pitt and Cuse being a place or two ahead of us in the CR line for a moment. They, at least, had some history. They looked fairly good (in a scraping the sides of the barrel near the bottom kind of way) when they donned their period costumes. Louisville, though, Louisville is totally inexplicable. Why would the ACC make a fifty year commitment based on the Cardinals' Teddy Bridgewater surge? Even a slug like Swofford, sliming his way through life's garden, should have been able to coax Florida State and Clemson down off that ledge. And if the answer doesn't lie in Louisville, it lies in us.

Reaction Score
Burden on transportation? It is no more a burden for say, Miami, to travel to BC or Syracuse or Louisville than to ND.
When you are not getting Notre Dame football money it sure is. Remember that all sports must make trip to Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
You're making no sense there Eagle. You first say that UCONN fans are delusional for thinking there are revenge scenarios at play in the ACC and that LCC was picked only because they were a stronger athletic program. In the same post, you say "not having any friends in the ACC only made things worse for UCONN". When questioned about your flip flopping, you answered with more flip flopping and named three things directly related to the lawsuit: "Lawsuit, Calhoun's many quotes about BC and the ACC, and CT AG's quotes on BC, the ACC and Swofford." So, again, if UCONN fans are delusional for thinking that there are revenge scenarios from the lawsuit at play in the ACC, can you please not give revenge scenarios in your answers?

1. Lawsuit: revenge scenario;
2. APR: not revenge scenario, but debunked with inviting horrendous academic LCC;
3. Calhoun's quotes: revenge scenario;
4. Calhoun's poor reputation with the NCAA: not revenge scenario, but how silly does this look now? Calhoun is gone, the NCAA's most exciting young coach is in his place (and a guy who EVERYONE seems to LOVE), and in the meantime, the LCC hired NCAA slime ball Bobby Petrino;
5. CT AG's quotes: revenge scenario

For the record, I have no idea why the ACC has passed on UCONN several times. It could be lawsuit/revenge related. It could be that little ol' Boston College carried significant enough weight to lobby against UCONN over the matter of New England turf. It could be ESPiN. It could be that LCC had a better football record than UCONN in the 2012-13 season (good thing this decision wasn't made in 2011!). It could be that the ACC was just dying to capture that robust Louisville DMA for their TV contract. It could be Tom Jurich calling in a few favors. It could be that the ACC knew that UCONN has its eyes set on a B1Gger conference. Nobody knows except for the members of the ACC responsible for making those decisions.

Of course, UCONN fans are going to mock a few of the ACC invite selections...especially LCC. Horrendous academics (something that your own Father Leahy said was SO important in expansion), second fiddle in their own smaller DMA, a Yum! Center bankruptcy battle, and Bobby Petrino. Good luck with all that. The ACC has successfully found a Boatz n' Hoez partner for the U (but would LCC be Barnz n' Hoez??) but with an even worse academic reputation than Miami. And while UCONN continues to sit in AAC purgatory, our "inferior" athletic department is stacking championship trophies, INCREASING its budget, and hitting coaching hire home runs.
I'm confused. Does LCC stand for Louisville Community College?

Reaction Score
When you are not getting Notre Dame football money it sure is. Remember that all sports must make trip to Notre Dame.[/QUOT
When you are not getting Notre Dame football money it sure is. Remember that all sports must make trip to Notre Dame.

They got $1-2 million a year each extra because of ND joining plus five ACC football games a year.

It is no more difficult to travel to ND than to Louisville, Pitt or Syracuse.

I don't think that schools worry today all that much over travel costs.

Reaction Score
I read an article that said they ''could" get a million from upturn in sales. As far a ND football games, what a total ripoff.
If Notre Dame is good, it hurts your chances to make the playoffs. Notre Dame is not nearly what is once was in football. Television ratings were off a lot in past years. For this small reward the ACC past on the opportunity to have a league that covers just about every state/city from Miami to Boston. Just how much money could the ACC
have gotten for the entire East Coast. And the interest that league would engender. Notre Dame's contribution is peanuts compared to what the ACC passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom