Are We Being Disingenuous? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Are We Being Disingenuous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You could add another wave with the Miami / Va Tech / BC acquisition. True, UConn football was in an immature state at the time, but UConn could have been had then. Maybe Rutgers too. Realistically, it was the ACC's last chance to implement a "state flagship universities along the length of the Atlantic coast" model - Rutgers was in the B1G's cross-hairs from that point on.

I'll give you the Miami/Tech/BC wave to some extent. 10 years of being passed over is enough to dishearten and anger anyone. 50+ years is a long time to wait too, especially when you're surrounded by them.

Reaction Score
You seem to have misunderstood me. What do you think Susan did that was wrong, much less deserves torture? I am saying they wanted extra time to carefully review the 8-figure business deal they were about to enter, and this caution spooked the ACC. Surely it would be malpractice NOT to carefully review these deals.

I didn't misunderstand you.

Reaction Score
The president of your university stated that the primary reason for the move to the ACC was for academic reasons. He stated that publicly and then let his AD vote for a community college in Kentucky. The double speak that comes from BC has always been amazing and that is just one instance. By the way, I know Louisville has played much better football of late, but the year they were voted into the ACC and they kicked Florida's a in their bowl game was also the year we beat them at Louisville. Louisville has a nice football program, but they aren't all that....

You won't answer this honestly, but I'll ask anyway. Hypothetically, UCONN and BC are in the same conference (the ACC let's say). In 10 years, how do the athletic departments compare? You know the answer. Your former AD knew the answer and was stupid enough to state why he did not want to compete with UCONN on a level playing field.

You and many of your fan base are pretty smug right now. But, this thing is not over and there is a better than even chance that UCONN and BC will end up on comparable footing once CR is settled. And you know what will happen don't you.you remember what it was like when UCONN hoops rolled up a decade winning streak against the Eagles. And you know that can happen in football. And when it does, you will never be on this board again, because that would take some class.
Usually when a warning shot is fired across the BOW it is not meant to sink the ship! I guess the U.S.S. BC_Classless is now on the bottom of Boston Harbor...Just one more stink for me to avoid!

Reaction Score
This thread is a funny read. Let's make this clear. UConn's administrators were blindsided by the invite of Louisville by the ACC and there was no B1G approach at that time. BC never wants UConn in the ACC. I suspect Syracuse feels the same way. It is what it is.

History has shown us that conferences change over time. Schools have left the SEC (Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Sewanee), the ACC (Maryland, South Carolina), the Big 10 (Chicago and Michigan for a period), the Big 12 (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M), the Pac 12 (Idaho, Montana, and even Oregon and Oregon St. for a period). Look at the conferences that have either imploded or are shadows of their former selves: Big East, SWC, Big 8, Southern Conference, Metro (used to be FSU, Louisville, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulane, Southern Miss.), Conference USA, Great Midwest ...

If you are a UConn fan, root and support UConn athletics and enjoy the good times. With the exception of football, this was one of the greatest years in UConn athletic history. Over time, I am confident UConn athletics will be OK as long as the administrators don't do something stupid like rejoining the Big East or becoming an independent in football.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am certain we did not have a B1G invitation in hand. Nor do we now. But I think it's possible that UConn was gung ho for the ACC until a few days before the deal was to be concluded, was approached by the B1G with an expression of interest/potential....

It didn't happen.

The ACC chose Louisville because they wanted to choose Louisville.

The myth of Big Ten contact is one of the more enduring fantasies around here.

Reaction Score
"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

Are you new here?
Not so new, and, as I've said, it's not BC's opposition I find surprising but the universality of former mates' opposition. Why ALL of them? That bothers me because if we're deluding ourselves rather than fixing a problem our progress will be slowed.

Reaction Score
If there's been no contact then neither we nor the B1G have an interest. Otherwise, how does conference shifting happen? Wouldn't one of us have to make a move, i.e., make a contact expressing interest?

Reaction Score
Not so new, and, as I've said, it's not BC's opposition I find surprising but the universality of former mates' opposition. Why ALL of them? That bothers me because if we're deluding ourselves rather than fixing a problem our progress will be slowed.

It's pretty simple. UConn was a 1AA football program that only upgraded to FBS football relatively recently. Schools like BC and Syracuse weren't excited to be in a conference with and playing a school that was a newbie and they surely didn't want to get beaten by one. BC joined the ACC before UConn was on an even playing field and Syracuse didn't fare very well against the newbie.

If UConn football continues to grow and shows they can produce consistently good teams AND we develop a fan base that will fill the Rent and travel to opponents, UConn will be fine and a desired school for expansion.

Reaction Score

Who is all of them?

VT? Pitt?

Reaction Score
RU...is that pile of mess good, bad, or irrelevant for our chances? My fear is the B1G schools might start thinking they can't take the chance on another Northeast school. Not that UCONN would be confused with a program which has, as they say, gone from 3rd base to 1st.
Some of these yo-yo's sound just like the private school cabal talking about you?If by from 3rd to 1st you mean the B1G I'm sure you'd be quite content? Now the B1G IS a MESS I'd certainly like to be in!! If you can't see the answer to you're above question I don't know what to tell you? Study the CR board here on the BY and you're answer will be there. It's all about relationship's as you would have thought you'd realize by this time !?! What possible good could come from you're snarky comment? How does this help you in CR? Are you looking to make enemie's or friends(relationships)! Its comments like you're the private duo use to justify themselves about you're perceived arrogance and promotes their divide and conquer strategy.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers is a tire fire, Nick.

We always appreciate unsolicited advice around here, but honestly, it's time for Rutgers' fans to stop pretending.

Football's lousy with a terrible coach and if we had your basketball program, we'd have shot the coach, the players and probably burned down the arena and covered the ruins with concrete.

The patient is dying, my boy.

pj

Reaction Score

We always appreciate unsolicited advice around here, but honestly, it's time for Rutgers' fans to stop pretending.

Football's lousy with a terrible coach and if we had your basketball program, we'd have shot the coach, the players and probably burned down the arena and covered the ruins with concrete.

Hey. Rutgers had a guy place 7th in the long jump championship: http://www.scarletknights.com/track-men/news/release.asp?prID=15024#.U5-0Oig6fkw.

Reaction Score

Sorry fishy but I couldnt restrain myself on that as snarky is not a helpful thing in CR and the truth is their already in. I held back for hrs but such is being a fan through good and bad they appealed enough with what they had to work with and developed relationships...did'nt you read it...I never said anything about sports prowess!?! I always avoid the snarky stuff if possible and respect the board and UConn's fast rise locally in FB and nationally in hoops Men AND Womans!!

Reaction Score
Or forced to sit and watch the Memphis game in the frozen tundra of Rentschler Field with the 87 of us who stayed for the whole thing.
It was so cold, I can't remember what body parts were numb. Had to stay the whole game. The offensive display was epic.

Reaction Score
Who is all of them?

VT? Pitt?
Has VT or Pitt spoken out on our behalf? Perhaps they aren't as vituperative as the others but positive action is required, not simply a failure to blackball. There aren't indications they are our friend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It didn't happen.

The ACC chose Louisville because they wanted to choose Louisville.

But suppose Fishy knew of that contract but was told it leaking might jeopardize the deal. Isn't that exactly what you'd expect him to post?

Reaction Score
Wasn't the general consensus at the time: "Louisville has more options (ACC, Big 12) due to its location so grab it now. UCONN will still be available to the ACC next time around." Just one of a few hundred reasons I would thoroughly enjoy membership in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Sorry fishy but I couldnt restrain myself on that as snarky is not a helpful thing in CR and the truth is their already in. I held back for hrs but such is being a fan through good and bad they appealed enough with what they had to work with and developed relationships...did'nt you read it...I never said anything about sports prowess!?! I always avoid the snarky stuff if possible and respect the board and UConn's fast rise locally in FB and nationally in hoops Men AND Womans!!
So snarky comments on a message board by fans help shape conference perceptions when choosing schools for expansion? So this board needs to become filled with RutgersAl like posterscomparing Uconn to Bama and FSU and predicting national championships? Predicting moves to the B1G 25 years before it ever happens? I guess there are already enough of those.

If fans and message boards were really considered by conferences, the Blight would still be in the AAC since they so famously booed service academies, can not fill a stadium and have 1 women's BB championship that got noticed because a stupid old DJ in NY said something vile about them. Add in any and all RutgersAl posts (one of the more delusional message board posters of all time) if message boards mattered, and the B1G would have gone running some other direction. You and all Blight fans need to be thankful that NJ demographics and TV sets make RU a valuable commodity in this whole mess. Because that is all that mattered for both RU and MD.

Hell, if the Big12 ever read the UWV message boards, they certainly would have never been invited.

pj

Reaction Score
Wasn't the general consensus at the time: "Louisville has more options (ACC, Big 12) due to its location so grab it now. UCONN will still be available to the ACC next time around." Just one of a few hundred reasons I would thoroughly enjoy membership in the B1G.

Yes. The ACC, and most analysts, thought the northeast was too remote for non-B1G conferences, and that the B1G would insist on AAU and very large state/institution size.

They may still be right ... but I hope not. I think UConn adds sufficient value to the B1G to justify its addition.

Reaction Score
Has VT or Pitt spoken out on our behalf? Perhaps they aren't as vituperative as the others but positive action is required, not simply a failure to blackball. There aren't indications they are our friend.

Seems like a paranoid way to go through life. We know that Cuse and BC were against UConn, and we assume Miami was because of Shalala. VT and Pitt are just non-descript parts of the issue. Not worthy of examining. Above you asked someone why Pitt is against UConn. It is incumbent upon you to show us that Pitt is against UConn.

Reaction Score
Seems like a paranoid way to go through life. We know that Cuse and BC were against UConn, and we assume Miami was because of Shalala. VT and Pitt are just non-descript parts of the issue. Not worthy of examining. Above you asked someone why Pitt is against UConn. It is incumbent upon you to show us that Pitt is against UConn.

The only way to truly ascertain who's with us and who's against us is to have President Herbst send a "You're My BFF" card to presidents of our former conference mates and see if they reciprocate. Schools that reciprocate like us and those that ignore our sincere and heartfelt advance are clearly against us. If you've ever taken a business management course this is a text book way of determining who your competitors are.

Edit: My bad. Need to give credit where credit is due. Cincinnati's President already employed the above methodology during the Holiday Season. When you think about it, who's doesn't want to get a holiday card from a guy named Santa?

http://gamedayr.com/sports/cincinnati-bearcats-acc-christmas-card/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Direct evidence, of course, is the most convincing form of proof. However, when irrefutable evidence is scant, inference plays a role in drawing conclusions. The question then becomes are my inferences the product of paranoia or reason. Rationally (I think I'm employing reason anyway), I find the lack of support for UConn perplexing. That I find no one making statements that they enjoyed their time in the Big East in general, and contests with UConn specifically make me wonder why. Have ANY of our former Big East partners either offered or accepted an offer from us to play out of conference games? I'm not trying to make an argument here that begins with "I'm right" and concludes with "...and you're an idiot if you don't agree with me." I truly don't know and am trying to understand the underlying dynamics.

Reaction Score
So snarky comments on a message board by fans help shape conference perceptions when choosing schools for expansion? So this board needs to become filled with RutgersAl like posterscomparing Uconn to Bama and FSU and predicting national championships? Predicting moves to the B1G 25 years before it ever happens? I guess there are already enough of those.

If fans and message boards were really considered by conferences, the Blight would still be in the AAC since they so famously booed service academies, can not fill a stadium and have 1 women's BB championship that got noticed because a stupid old DJ in NY said something vile about them. Add in any and all RutgersAl posts (one of the more delusional message board posters of all time) if message boards mattered, and the B1G would have gone running some other direction. You and all Blight fans need to be thankful that NJ demographics and TV sets make RU a valuable commodity in this whole mess. Because that is all that mattered for both RU and MD.

Hell, if the Big12 ever read the UWV message boards, they certainly would have never been invited.
OK 06029 fair enough but as you know im just a regular fan with all the inherent weakness's of one but this booing service academy stuff borders on obsession when every fanbase has an equal amount of flag waving veteran's and boneheads! Let it go its unhealthy. Their NOT limited to RU or NJ! Thats the equivalent of blaming all of PSU for the actions of JS!?! The freedom of speech and right to express is at the core the reason we serve...right or wrong morally,. its as american as apple pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom