Are We Being Disingenuous? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Are We Being Disingenuous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you say it's "delusional" for UCONN fans to feel this way (trying to figure out how/what/why things happened the way they did) > and then say that they have no friends in the ACC??

Huh??

That's kindof the point of this thread; "why do none of our old Big East compatriots seem to want us in the ACC? Cuse, Pitt, Miami, BC, VaTech. It's not even apathy; it seems like they actively oppose us. How come? What did we do to piss them off? How did this deplorably situation arise?"

Do you know the answer?? Why do "they have no friends in the ACC"??

Here are a few things… Lawsuit, APR, Calhoun's many quotes about BC and the ACC, Calhoun's poor reputation with the NCAA, CT AG's quotes on BC, the ACC, and Swofford. No other school did that much damage to itself with so much arrogance. From the attitude of most on this thread I can see that the fan base attitude mirrors the UCONN administration during CR which can't help.

Reaction Score
Direct evidence, of course, is the most convincing form of proof. However, when irrefutable evidence is scant, inference plays a role in drawing conclusions. The question then becomes are my inferences the product of paranoia or reason. Rationally (I think I'm employing reason anyway), I find the lack of support for UConn perplexing. That I find no one making statements that they enjoyed their time in the Big East in general, and contests with UConn specifically make me wonder why. Have ANY of our former Big East partners either offered or accepted an offer from us to play out of conference games? I'm not trying to make an argument here that begins with "I'm right" and concludes with "...and you're an idiot if you don't agree with me." I truly don't know and am trying to understand the underlying dynamics.
I agree with all you say and I for one enjoyed the BE esp UConn and SU local games mostly respectfully(except maybe for SU fanbase unjustified arrogance)and don't understand the vitriol towards RU who always worked towards the B1G instead of the ACC and succeeded and whom w/o UConn wouldnt even be a candidate for geographical and perception reason's. I actually thought you guys were covered by the ACC and thought it might be us sweating it and immediately thought about the unfairness of it all while other local fanbases seemed to revel in you're pain!! I like you don't get it and won't be happy until all is right...which WILL happen soon IMO.

Reaction Score
Here are a few things… Lawsuit, APR, Calhoun's many quotes about BC and the ACC, Calhoun's poor reputation with the NCAA, CT AG's quotes on BC, the ACC, and Swofford. No other school did that much damage to itself with so much arrogance. From the attitude of most on this thread I can see that the fan base attitude mirrors the UCONN administration during CR which can't help.

Honestly, why are you here? I can only assume it's a little man's need to gloat over the fact that UCONN's conference affiliation sucks.

We will most likely eventually end up in either the B1G or the ACC, at which point we will be on a level playing field with BC. History suggests that would portend good things for UCONN in comparison to BC.

Reaction Score

Sorry we are self confident - the NC's bring it out of us. Are you that guy that goes to the BC games?

Reaction Score
This post almost deserves a thread of its own, but it fits in this one quite well. You've listed things that I don't think have served us well but I have a couple of questions as well. First is the APR business. As an outsider, how much heat do you think UConn deserves over that? Did our punishment fit our crime? How does our transgression compare to, say, North Carolina's grades and course credit for sleeping degree ("Wake up Rashad, you made the Dean's List!")? How off-putting is our arrogance? How might we better take pride in our accomplishments than what we are doing now?

Reaction Score
The only way to truly ascertain who's with us and who's against us is to have President Herbst send a "You're My BFF" card to presidents of our former conference mates and see if they reciprocate. Schools that reciprocate like us and those that ignore our sincere and heartfelt advance are clearly against us. If you've ever taken a business management course this is a text book way of determining who your competitors are.
A
A BC guy accusing us of arrogance .
Wow talking about throwing the first stone.
I strongly suggest an examination of conscious .

Reaction Score
North Carolina's discretions are one thing. Miami is a whole other ball of wax. That place is a cesspool and I have no idea how they continue to field athletic teams under the NCAA. Louisville I get. Fr. Leahy clearly stated that BC joined the ACC for academic reasons.

Reaction Score

I get the lawsuit thing and that's been addressed by Geno's comments - I think his comments help take it off the table, at least with the big players in the ACC. His mea culpa will make BC look vengeful and petty if they bring it up again when questioned about UConn's inclusion in the conference. BC should welcome the opportunity to compete against us, but I don't think they want any part of us. The APR reason is BS for so many reasons I can't spend the time pointing them out. I also believe that Syracuse will oppose us because they don't like being compared to UConn on so many levels. Syracuse is worried "they pale in comparison". UConn has soared by them academically, athletically and value wise. Syracuse is becoming one of several over priced, second tier, private institutions that struggles to convince kids that it makes sense to go to a school at $65k/year vs. UConn at $23k/year. Unfortunately, despite any "official" comments to the contrary, I don't think they will help and may in fact try to hurt us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

None of that matters. BC is the only thing that matters, and they want New England to themselves. The only thing that puzzles me is why anyone in the ACC listens to a school that brings absolutely nothing to the conference. BCU has been a leach on the league since the first day they joined.

Reaction Score
A BC guy accusing us of arrogance .
Wow talking about throwing the first stone.
I strongly suggest an examination of conscious .
I get that fan bases of schools with a degree of accomplishment get accused of arrogance by rivals all the time, but is there a way of taking pride without seeming arrogant? Or is that just too much to ask?

Reaction Score
Boy do I hope we get a BIG invite, than all the bone headed BC fans can poo-poo the BIG and brag about how great the ACC is and when in 5-10 years BC become just like BC(Before Christ) and is ancient history in a conference that withers like poison ivy in a dessert...We can witness a much better future. I just love how BC talks arrogance, than they use their drivel to kick us when we are down! But please do not reflect on what BC's part was in this matter. Do not for a moment account for all the other things going on. The loss of the Whalers fresh in our minds, the Patriots coming and not coming to Hartford. We go all in at the request of Miami into football or we will be kicked out of the Big East! Then we do this, and these schools leave after this investment.

I have said before that the lawsuit was stupid, but I think we should have threatened it, should have taken it right up to the line of legal action and no further....BUT please do not spout your arrogance on a UConn Blog about how BC was so bleeping innocent. You weren't!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
VT and Pitt are just non-descript parts of the issue.

That is EXACTLY right. Tech is more in line with UVa, UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU and GT when It comes to voting in the next school. I can't get a read on Pitt, but they may be less like SU, BC and Miami than we think. UVa, UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU, GT and VT have never opposed UConn to my knowledge... but none have been clamoring for UConn's admittance either. Had UMCP stayed, UL would not have been a blip on the radar. UL was a strategic move to keep out the B12 and to appease FSU and Clemson for UL's perceived "great football" program.

Reaction Score
...and that the B1G would insist on AAU and very large state/institution size.
They may still be right ... but I hope not. I think UConn adds sufficient value to the B1G to justify its addition.
I certainly agree with your premise that UConn adds sufficient value to the B1G.

Hey, if any of my fellow 'yarders need some inspiration regarding how an aspiring research university can gain entry into the B1G without the allusive AAU stamp of approval, then you need to check out the following book: Arrogance and Scheming in the Big Ten: Michigan State's Quest for Membership and Michigan's Powerful Opposition. Michigan State joined the B1G in 1949, but didn't attain AAU status until 1964. Michigan State's President, John Hannah, simply wouldn't take "no" for an answer. When the B1G told him to get lost, he kept appearing at the front stoop, ringin' that doorbell like an annoying next door neighbor. If you'd like to know how he built Michigan State into a research powerhouse, then this is the book you want to read: Michigan State College: John Hannah and the Creation of a World University, 1926-1969 (Vol. 2: MSU Sesquicentennial Series).

Reaction Score
Dallas, Houston, Philly, Cincy, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans,Memphis, Tulsa, CT(NY). Navy(national)

These are huge wealthy markets. AAC will soon dominate college sports. Watch and wait.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dallas, Houston, Philly, Cincy, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans,Memphis, Tulsa, CT(NY). Navy(national)

These are huge wealthy markets. AAC will soon dominate college sports. Watch and wait.

Cheers

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're a cutie.

We're probably more arrogant now given that we keep winning stuff and our various neighbors keep swallowing their own balls. And the problem with what everyone said about Boston College was that it was all true - you've conveniently forgotten that some of your new old conference mates also pointed out that Boston College's administration had a aversion to honesty.

In any event, we'll take the garbage out early with this particular troll.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Bourbon?

Reaction Score
I certainly agree with your premise that UConn adds sufficient value to the B1G.

Hey, if any of my fellow 'yarders need some inspiration regarding how an aspiring research university can gain entry into the B1G without the allusive AAU stamp of approval, then you need to check out the following book: Arrogance and Scheming in the Big Ten: Michigan State's Quest for Membership and Michigan's Powerful Opposition. Michigan State joined the B1G in 1949, but didn't attain AAU status until 1964. Michigan State's President, John Hannah, simply wouldn't take "no" for an answer. When the B1G told him to get lost, he kept appearing at the front stoop, ringin' that doorbell like an annoying next door neighbor. If you'd like to know how he built Michigan State into a research powerhouse, then this is the book you want to read: Michigan State College: John Hannah and the Creation of a World University, 1926-1969 (Vol. 2: MSU Sesquicentennial Series).

I knew there was a reason I respected Sparty (not a big fan, but respect them). Sounds like another school I know that had waited 50 years for a conference membership and had to force their way in.

Reaction Score
UConn should not feel left out by ACC incompetence. We should celebrate. We do not need these guys,
Louisville is just one example of this stupidity. They took in a very poor academic school whose fan base extends to the city line. The rest of Kentucky loves Kentucky. They lost Maryland and New Jersey. Washington D.C and some of the New York market. They took in Notre Dame for basketball only - putting a burden on transportation on very other program
By taking in Rutgers and CT, the ACC would have kept MD and sowed up college basketball and football for the entire East Coast. Instead they took in two islands: one in the Mid-West surrounded by the Big Ten and one in a nowhere city more famous for horse crap than anything else and literally surrounded by a sea of Kentucky Blue. Since Boston College stinks in basketball and football and has a following that extends in a three block radius around the campus, they have no hold on the New England market. One invite(CT) from the Big Ten and the ACC loses the New York market forever. How is the ACC a benefit for UConn? The money is in Texas and NYC and Washington. The ACC didn't want any part of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn should not feel left out by ACC incompetence. We should celebrate. We do not need these guys,
Louisville is just one example of this stupidity. They took in a very poor academic school whose fan base extends to the city line. The rest of Kentucky loves Kentucky. They lost Maryland and New Jersey. Washington D.C and some of the New York market. They took in Notre Dame for basketball only - putting a burden on transportation on very other program
By taking in Rutgers and CT, the ACC would have kept MD and sowed up college basketball and football for the entire East Coast. Instead the took in two islands: one in the Mid-West surrounded by the Big Ten and one in a nowhere city more famous for horse crap than anything else and literally surrounded by a sea of Kentucky Blue. Since Boston College stinks in basketball and football and has a following that extends in a three block radius around the campus, they have no hold on the New England market. One invite(CT) from the Big Ten and the ACC loses the New York market forever. How is the ACC a benefit for UConn? The money is in Texas and NYC and Washington. The ACC didn't want any part of it.

Burden on transportation? It is no more a burden for say, Miami, to travel to BC or Syracuse or Louisville than to ND.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah pretty much delusional but amusing to read the revenge fantasies and crazy scenarios people come up with on here regardless. Louisville was the stronger athletic program overall at the time they were chosen over UCONN especially in football. Not having any friends in the ACC only made things worse for UCONN.

So you say it's "delusional" for UCONN fans to feel this way (trying to figure out how/what/why things happened the way they did) > and then say that they have no friends in the ACC??

Huh??

That's kindof the point of this thread; "why do none of our old Big East compatriots seem to want us in the ACC? Cuse, Pitt, Miami, BC, VaTech. It's not even apathy; it seems like they actively oppose us. How come? What did we do to piss them off? How did this deplorably situation arise?"

Do you know the answer?? Why do "they have no friends in the ACC"??

You're making no sense there Eagle. You first say that UCONN fans are delusional for thinking there are revenge scenarios at play in the ACC and that LCC was picked only because they were a stronger athletic program. In the same post, you say "not having any friends in the ACC only made things worse for UCONN". When questioned about your flip flopping, you answered with more flip flopping and named three things directly related to the lawsuit: "Lawsuit, Calhoun's many quotes about BC and the ACC, and CT AG's quotes on BC, the ACC and Swofford." So, again, if UCONN fans are delusional for thinking that there are revenge scenarios from the lawsuit at play in the ACC, can you please not give revenge scenarios in your answers?

1. Lawsuit: revenge scenario;
2. APR: not revenge scenario, but debunked with inviting horrendous academic LCC;
3. Calhoun's quotes: revenge scenario;
4. Calhoun's poor reputation with the NCAA: not revenge scenario, but how silly does this look now? Calhoun is gone, the NCAA's most exciting young coach is in his place (and a guy who EVERYONE seems to LOVE), and in the meantime, the LCC hired NCAA slime ball Bobby Petrino;
5. CT AG's quotes: revenge scenario

For the record, I have no idea why the ACC has passed on UCONN several times. It could be lawsuit/revenge related. It could be that little ol' Boston College carried significant enough weight to lobby against UCONN over the matter of New England turf. It could be ESPiN. It could be that LCC had a better football record than UCONN in the 2012-13 season (good thing this decision wasn't made in 2011!). It could be that the ACC was just dying to capture that robust Louisville DMA for their TV contract. It could be Tom Jurich calling in a few favors. It could be that the ACC knew that UCONN has its eyes set on a B1Gger conference. Nobody knows except for the members of the ACC responsible for making those decisions.

Of course, UCONN fans are going to mock a few of the ACC invite selections...especially LCC. Horrendous academics (something that your own Father Leahy said was SO important in expansion), second fiddle in their own smaller DMA, a Yum! Center bankruptcy battle, and Bobby Petrino. Good luck with all that. The ACC has successfully found a Boatz n' Hoez partner for the U (but would LCC be Barnz n' Hoez??) but with an even worse academic reputation than Miami. And while UCONN continues to sit in AAC purgatory, our "inferior" athletic department is stacking championship trophies, INCREASING its budget, and hitting coaching hire home runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom