Archie Miller out at Indiana | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Archie Miller out at Indiana

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Anyone think Indiana will pursue Nate Oats from Bama now?

Btw, what is he protocol for reaching out to a coach that is in the tournament?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rumor mill is Pitino to Boston College
I have to say, there is some symmetry to this. It would be a great, though sleazy, hire for a bad, and sleazy, athletic program. It might actually make BC relevant again, therefore, I am against it.

Reaction Score
Anyone think Indiana will pursue Nate Oats from Bama now?

Btw, what is he protocol for reaching out to a coach that is in the tournament?
He just signed with Alabama and has a massive buyout. That said, if donors are willing to pay for Archie Miller to leave, they are probably willing to donate to get a good coach as well

Reaction Score
I have to say, there is some symmetry to this. It would be a great, though sleazy, hire for a bad, and sleazy, athletic program. It might actually make BC relevant again, therefore, I am against it.
BC was relevant??

Reaction Score
1615839985283.jpeg

Reaction Score
They’ve already announced Alford is not a candidate, so that clears up the field a little

Reaction Score

Hmmm. That answers some of that. Maybe he will end up staying there. As of now, it’s only temporary

Reaction Score
Mark Cuban will get whoever he wants. If IU needs the money for Oats or Beard, they will get it. That's the benefit of having a multi-billionaire booster who loves basketball so much that they own their own team.

Although if I'm either of those 2 guys, I'm waiting for Duke/UNC/UK to come calling in a few years. IU isn't even a top 3 job in the Big 10 anymore. MSU, Michigan, and Ohio State are better programs

Reaction Score
They’ve already announced Alford is not a candidate, so that clears up the field a little
The people who know Alford and that matter at Indiana can't stand him, the guy is a huge jerk from what I've heard.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The people who know Alford and that matter at Indiana can't stand him, the guy is a huge jerk from what I've heard.
@SJ what is the deal w/ IU and Alford? I've heard there's a rift but that was from way back. What's the story there?

Reaction Score
Let’s see which coach becomes the darling of the NCAAT this year. Then all the job offers will follow.

Reaction Score
@SJ what is the deal w/ IU and Alford? I've heard there's a rift but that was from way back. What's the story there?
I heard a really good story years ago from someone who knows the goings on in Bloomington and I forget all of it. It had something to do with him screwing over a local business.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I remember when he was with Iowa and there was always this talk of his return. He held sainthood status in the 80s and 90s in Indiana, it just seemed so logical. Weird.

Reaction Score
I remember when he was with Iowa and there was always this talk of his return. He held sainthood status in the 80s and 90s in Indiana, it just seemed so logical. Weird.
The Alford window closed after he went to UCLA
The reality is Matt Painter is getting the quality kids out of Indiana. Whoever takes over IU program will need to: recruit better in state, win in the Big 10, and most importantly -beat Purdue. Miller couldn't do any of those

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Steve Alford has spent his entire coaching career proving he is a really good mid-major coach.

Reaction Score
The reality is Matt Painter is getting the quality kids out of Indiana. Whoever takes over IU program will need to: recruit better in state, win in the Big 10, and most importantly -beat Purdue. Miller couldn't do any of those

IU has gotten Mr. Basketball the past 3-4 years and most of their recruits have been from Indiana.. I thought he needed to recruit better talent outside the state to be honest. Purdue can do all they want, Painter has been there almost two decades and hasn't reached a final four and I don't see that changing.

Reaction Score
Actually, the issue with Indiana recruiting hasn't been Purdue. Out of the top 25 recruits out of Indiana over the past 5 years, Indiana has gotten 6 and Purdue 4. For Indiana to return to glory, they need to keep more in-state recruits home. And, I would think the 2021 class was impacted by Miller being on the hot seat. Look at the top 5 players from Indiana over the past 5 years and where they went:

2017: Michigan St., Louisville, UCLA, Louisville, Xavier
2018: Indiana, UCLA, Indiana, Indiana, Michigan St. (Miller's first recruiting class)
2019: Washington, Kentucky, Indiana, Pitt, Purdue
2020: Indiana, Purdue, Louisville, Kansas St., Indiana
2021: Purdue, Purdue, Illinois, Notre Dame, Minnesota

By school:
Indiana: 6
Purdue: 4
Louisville: 3
UCLA: 2
Michigan St.: 2
Kentucky: 1
Illinois: 1
Xavier: 1
Minnesota: 1
Notre Dame: 1
Washington: 1
Pitt: 1

Reaction Score

Hmmm. That answers some of that. Maybe he will end up staying there. As of now, it’s only temporary

This means nothing. It happens a lot. Like most college football staffs do it. There’s no doubt Kenya left things on bad terms with Hurley, so not feeling bad for him at all. The timing was so strange...

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t the Loyola coach make the most sense here? Already in the Midwest, up and coming? They think they need someone already established? Is this job a step up for beard?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom