Archie Miller out at Indiana | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Archie Miller out at Indiana

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sometimes people should be content and stay at a place where they worship you and have job security. it's not a bad gig. More often than not these coaches that jump get fired

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Much rather have Indiana return to prominence with Pitino than BC. If he's going to get another high major shot let it be IU.

Reaction Score
Don't be shocked if Archie Miller is replaced by Wes Miller. He's been outstanding at UNCG and as an alum of UNC has been on the radar for the UNC job, post Roy Williams. With Williams likely to be there for several more years, Miller shouldn't wait. Indiana should make an offer to the young (mid 30's) coach who will get some added street cred when UNCG upsets Fla St in the first round.

Reaction Score
I feel like usually when a head coach is fired, the entire staff is gone too. Is it common to see assistant coaches keeping their jobs after a head coach gets fired?

I know when a coach chooses to leave for another opportunity it could be different (example- Hurley left URI and some of his staff stayed). But with a firing like this it’s hard for me to imagine Kenya keeps his job. Really wish him the best either way.
You have to give the new head coach the ability to hire his own staff. So Kenya is probably going to be back in the job market. He's a good assistant so I'm sure he will land on his feet somewhere.

URI elevated the assistant coach to head coach after Hurley left so that is why the staff stayed there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Indiana is not the job it was 40-50 years ago, and it never will be again. Back when Knight was the best coach in basketball, the sport was still somewhat regional and the upper Midwest and particularly Indiana was one of the major hotbeds of talent. Indiana, Purdue, and a handful of other schools ruled the Big 10, and got first pick of the top players in the region, plus they could recruit regionally. Depaul and Notre Dame were the only non Big 10 programs that were major powers in the region.

And with all those advantages, Indiana was considered a blue blood because it had one of the greatest coaches in Basketball history for 30 years. And even with Knight, Indiana was nothing special for most of the 90's. Knight was a relic of a different era, and the program was not strong enough to keep itself a national power after 1993. Mike Davis got Indiana to the Finals in 2002, although he got some help in the brackets with 3 of the 5 teams Indiana beat in that tournament being 10 seeds or worse.

And that was almost 20 years ago. Indiana's tradition only matters to GenXers and older. Indiana thinks it is UNC but really it is Minnesota. Firing Kelvin Sampson over some phone calls was just stupid. I thought Archie Miller and especially Tom Crean did decent jobs if Indiana's administration was living in reality. Indiana is just another rural state school now, and unlike in Knight's era, it has to compete for talent with major conference programs in Indianapolis (Butler) and Cincinnati (Xavier). There are a lot of great mid-majors in the region offering playing time, and national recruiting for basketball is very competitive.

Indiana is not that great a job anymore, and is rapidly becoming a place where promising careers go to die.

Reaction Score
That must really tick off Indiana supporters for the whole tournament to be in their state but their team is not in the tournament.
Exactly- As an IU grad- it doesn't get any worse than watching Purdue kick your ass year after year then watch them play in tournament in Indy
Need a Hoosier coaching

Reaction Score
Exactly- As an IU grad- it doesn't get any worse than watching Purdue kick your ass year after year then watch them play in tournament in Indy
Need a Hoosier coaching
Yeah Purdue the only Indiana team in the field this year held in Indy (no IU, Butler, Notre Dame, etc.)

Reaction Score
If IU's first call isn't to Brad Stevens they're doing it all wrong.

Pitino is interesting but at age 68 he's not a long-term solution.

Chris Beard and Scott Drew are two solid backup options - both excellent coaches limited by being at football schools. The others aren't worth considering unless IU wants to become a second-rate program.

Reaction Score
Any word on Kimani being a finalist for any of these or any future head coaching vacancies?

Reaction Score
Indiana is not the job it was 40-50 years ago, and it never will be again. Back when Knight was the best coach in basketball, the sport was still somewhat regional and the upper Midwest and particularly Indiana was one of the major hotbeds of talent. Indiana, Purdue, and a handful of other schools ruled the Big 10, and got first pick of the top players in the region, plus they could recruit regionally. Depaul and Notre Dame were the only non Big 10 programs that were major powers in the region.

And with all those advantages, Indiana was considered a blue blood because it had one of the greatest coaches in Basketball history for 30 years. And even with Knight, Indiana was nothing special for most of the 90's. Knight was a relic of a different era, and the program was not strong enough to keep itself a national power after 1993. Mike Davis got Indiana to the Finals in 2002, although he got some help in the brackets with 3 of the 5 teams Indiana beat in that tournament being 10 seeds or worse.

And that was almost 20 years ago. Indiana's tradition only matters to GenXers and older. Indiana thinks it is UNC but really it is Minnesota. Firing Kelvin Sampson over some phone calls was just stupid. I thought Archie Miller and especially Tom Crean did decent jobs if Indiana's administration was living in reality. Indiana is just another rural state school now, and unlike in Knight's era, it has to compete for talent with major conference programs in Indianapolis (Butler) and Cincinnati (Xavier). There are a lot of great mid-majors in the region offering playing time, and national recruiting for basketball is very competitive.

Indiana is not that great a job anymore, and is rapidly becoming a place where promising careers go to die.
I disagree. Tom Crean inherited the mess left behind by Kelvin Sampson. His last 6 seasons at Indiana included 4 NCAA tournaments, 3 Sweet 16s, and 2 regular season Big 10 Championships. He was 138-69 over his last 6 years, which is a higher winning % (0.667) than Indiana's all-time winning % (0.635).

As for recruiting, Indiana has produced 17 top 100 recruits and 34 top 200 recruits over the past 5 years. In the 2022 class, Indiana has these recruits: 20, 31, 57, 107, 133, 135, 140, 173, 174, 181. I think there is enough talent in Indiana to make IU basketball successful.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Tom Crean inherited the mess left behind by Kelvin Sampson. His last 6 seasons at Indiana included 4 NCAA tournaments, 3 Sweet 16s, and 2 regular season Big 10 Championships. He was 138-69 over his last 6 years, which is a higher winning % (0.667) than Indiana's all-time winning % (0.635).

As for recruiting, Indiana has produced 17 top 100 recruits and 34 top 200 recruits over the past 5 years. In the 2022 class, Indiana has these recruits: 20, 31, 57, 107, 133, 135, 140, 173, 174, 181. I think there is enough talent in Indiana to make IU basketball successful.
Crean got shafted. Won conference COY and next year was fired

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You have to give the new head coach the ability to hire his own staff. So Kenya is probably going to be back in the job market. He's a good assistant so I'm sure he will land on his feet somewhere.

BCU, done!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The IU fans and most importantly, the alums and donors, thought Crean had lost his marbles in his last few years there.
The guy is extremely creepy - that's what happens when you marry into the Harbough family

Reaction Score
The one reason why I think Kenya has a (very slim) chance of keeping his job there is because of his recruiting ability. I know for a fact that Kenya was the main reason that Parker Stewart chose to transfer there, so they’d risk losing him with Kenya’s departure. That’s up to the new head coach to decide.

Seems unlikely, but who knows. He might not even want to stay there with his buddy Archie out, or maybe a head coaching gig will come up.

Reaction Score
The IU fans and most importantly, the alums and donors, thought Crean had lost his marbles in his last few years there.
The guy is extremely creepy - that's what happens when you marry into the Harbough family
My point is that Indiana is a great job and Crean proved recently you can win there.

Reaction Score
Yeah Purdue the only Indiana team in the field this year held in Indy (no IU, Butler, Notre Dame, etc.)
Matt Painter is a helluva coach- always gets the most from his team. This year - no seniors on the roster and 3 Freshman starters

Reaction Score
BigTenKen was looking to win championships at Indiana. KardashianKen succeeded in finishing behind Rutgers in the Big Ten and missing the NCAA tournament, and now on the road looking for another gig. Way to win Ken.

I was on the money regarding this prediction.

#SillyRabbitTrixAreForKids

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom