Archie Miller out at Indiana | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Archie Miller out at Indiana

Reaction Score
If you're Indiana and you've got B10 money, why are you farting around and trying to get the next Beard? Just get Beard, if you can.

UNC was in tough times, they had gone with Doherty from Notre Dame and seemed like an up and comer. And they stunk. So they said screw it and went after the best coach available they thought they could get.

Fit matters, of course, but a great coach can fit most anywhere.
Totally agreed and looks like others agree...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-131837_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210316-131837_Chrome.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 168
Reaction Score
If you're Indiana and you've got B10 money, why are you farting around and trying to get the next Beard? Just get Beard, if you can.

UNC was in tough times, they had gone with Doherty from Notre Dame and seemed like an up and comer. And they stunk. So they said screw it and went after the best coach available they thought they could get.

Fit matters, of course, but a great coach can fit most anywhere.
Not disagreeing at all, I just dont think big name has to be at the top of the list. If you can get brad stevens by all means get him lol.
I don’t know if this is a comparable situation to unc in prestige and the fact that Roy was originally a unc guy.
would someone like beard find this job attractive enough to leave tech?

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing at all, I just dont think big name has to be at the top of the list. If you can get brad stevens by all means get him lol.
I don’t know if this is a comparable situation to unc in prestige and the fact that Roy was originally a unc guy.
would someone like beard find this job attractive enough to leave tech?
Yeah, they ain't getting Stevens, though if Stevens weren't with the Celtics and wanted to coach college Indiana would be a great landing place.

I think you—and many—are underselling the appeal of Indiana. It's honestly one of the best 10 coaching jobs in CBB, and even that may be underselling it. We lost our top assistant to IU and I believe we matched pay. They may not have won a title since 1987 but they have a brand and caché. Perhaps they might not right now mean anything to recruits since they've been mediocre for so long, but a coach pushing 50 likely sees them with a different sort of lens.

Indiana vs. Tech isn't even close, though who the hell can tell what a coach like Beard—born in GA and hooping in doing college in TX—would actually do?

Reaction Score
Yeah, they ain't getting Stevens, though if Stevens weren't with the Celtics and wanted to coach college Indiana would be a great landing place.

I think you—and many—are underselling the appeal of Indiana. It's honestly one of the best 10 coaching jobs in CBB, and even that may be underselling it. We lost our top assistant to IU and I believe we matched pay. They may not have won a title since 1987 but they have a brand and caché. Perhaps they might not right now mean anything to recruits since they've been mediocre for so long, but a coach pushing 50 likely sees them with a different sort of lens.

Indiana vs. Tech isn't even close, though who the hell can tell what a coach like Beard—born in GA and hooping in doing college in TX—would actually do?
In my lifetime Indiana hasn’t held very much cachet, and I’m not young lol. Outside of one final four run they have been solid yet unspectacular. They have had 4 or 5 coaches since Bobby knight and none have come close to replicating that success on any level.
is throwing a lot of money at a brand name guy the key to winning? It certainly is the safest route. let’s see if beard takes their money.

Reaction Score
In my lifetime Indiana hasn’t held very much cachet, and I’m not young lol. Outside of one final four run they have been solid yet unspectacular. They have had 4 or 5 coaches since Bobby knight and none have come close to replicating that success on any level.
is throwing a lot of money at a brand name guy the key to winning? It certainly is the safest route. let’s see if beard takes their money.
I mean, they tried it twice. They hired Sampson away from Oklahoma and he had them rolling and then got fired for stuff that wouldn't even be a violation now. Then they went with Crean from Marquette and he was doing pretty well. Not great, but fine.

Beard isn't the only guy they might look at. May not even be their #1.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The comment makes no sense. Unless there is something glaring, like you know who, the school can't just decide to not honor the contract. They didn't "do the right thing", they did the only thing they could do.
See Pitt

Reaction Score
Better go after Scott Drew, Beard like I said earlier, or Oats. They got the money, the name brand still, and the conference. You can still win big there with the right coach, I think they can get any one of them 3 with the right offer

Reaction Score
I mean, they tried it twice. They hired Sampson away from Oklahoma and he had them rolling and then got fired for stuff that wouldn't even be a violation now. Then they went with Crean from Marquette and he was doing pretty well. Not great, but fine.

Beard isn't the only guy they might look at. May not even be their #1.
Porter makes the most sense to me but we will see.

Reaction Score
The fact that there are over 100 posts on IU hoops says a lot about Indiana basketball.
Not many college basketball programs make a few phone calls to come up with $10 million to get rid of a coach
Purdue fans are saying they lost 2 coaches yesterday. Micah Shrewsbury to Penn State and Archie Miller

Reaction Score
BigTenKen was looking to win championships at Indiana. KardashianKen succeeded in finishing behind Rutgers in the Big Ten and missing the NCAA tournament, and now on the road looking for another gig. Way to win Ken.

PS: Indiana would be smart to make a call to the Loyola Chicago coach. He's nearby, local, and a proven winner from a nothing program into a program that people actually know about now. Chris Beard is a good choice as well if he is interested. Musselman from Arkansas is another good candidate.

#SillyRabbitTrixAreForKids

Reaction Score
So that I was not misunderstood, I did offer that IU example to show that well before they “did the right thing” with Archie, they did the “UConn thing” with Sampson. Buying him out for 1/3 of what he was contractually due as a consequence of violating his contract was an example of what most sane schools would do.

Reaction Score
I thought I read somewhere that Pitino has some really bizzare contact terms at Iona that make it almost impossible for him to leave for a couple of years in addition he has a high buyout. He can leave but can’t coach for 2 years or something too. More like a noncompete than a traditional buyout.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Better go after Scott Drew, Beard like I said earlier, or Oats. They got the money, the name brand still, and the conference. You can still win big there with the right coach, I think they can get any one of them 3 with the right offer

I don't know about the other 2 guys, but I don't see why Oats would leave Bama and the SEC money and his current success on court and on the recruiting trail to go to rebuild Indiana ...

Reaction Score
I don't know about the other 2 guys, but I don't see why Oats would leave Bama and the SEC money and his current success on court and on the recruiting trail to go to rebuild Indiana ...
I was kind of thinking the same thing with Scott Drew. He has the #2 team in the country right now it’s hard to picture him walking away from that. But Indiana ties and a giant raise could help

Reaction Score
No way BC pays 10 million for Pitino. And I don't see Pitino going anywhere. From New York, wants to be in New York, has said this will be his last job. Turns 69 this year. Just doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I don't know about the other 2 guys, but I don't see why Oats would leave Bama and the SEC money and his current success on court and on the recruiting trail to go to rebuild Indiana ... pats
He is a midwestern dude and the Indiana job is better as the big 10 money is prolly the same and I’m sure Indiana can pay him more, a upper echelon big10 basketball gig is better than an SEC one

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom