Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged)

Reaction Score
Morgan's stat line was:
10 points
9 rebounds
6 assists
I just rewatched the MITTY vs Desoto game. According to my unofficial box score:
Morgan Cheli 2 points in first half then
8 in the second half = 10; McKenna Woliczko with 8 pt in first half, then 7 = 15;
with Belle Bramer with 10 and 6 points. NOTE WELL: many of Belle's points
were on dishes from Morgan after some fierce Cheli rebounds!! I would like
to know Belle's field goal %.
This game played out like the L. I. Lutheran game. LIL was taller than
Mitty and Desoto also had the height advantage: 6'4", 6' 3", 6'3" and 6'2" with
two of these ladies on the floor most of the time. Mitty was tenacious on
defense, mixing a pressure defense with a full court press which resulted in
ball " tips"/ steals and 5 second violations for Desoto on inbounds and 10 second
violations for not getting the ball across midcourt. Every loose ball was contested
with Mitty bodies flying across the hardwood floor. Our Girl, Morgan, was there
to help her teammates get up. NICE! The announcers made a point that
Morgan's stats were not indicative of her " intensity, ... providing opportunities
for her teammates".... again, about Morgan: " pure hustle... hustle makes it happen!".
The comment about both teams was: " no breaks... all gas". Desoto is very good
they just (IMO) had never come up against such crushing defense, rebounding
challenges, and every shot being contested. And of course, Mitty ... " had Morgan".
Tonight, Mitty vs Camas (WA) at 8 PM PST. You should be able to get it
live streaming at: POA Holiday Classic 2023 Open Division game 8 Archbishop
Mitty (CA) vs Camas (WA). Enjoy! Go Monarchs! Go Morgan and POI McKenna!

Reaction Score
Archbishop Mitty Vs Desoto Girls Basketball

This one is good to watch to see Morgan's game in its entirety.

She makes some ball handling mistakes, like picking up her dribble too close to the half court line, which she can get away with in most cases because she towers over the guard defending her. But that won't fly at the next level.

On the positive side, even though she missed some shots, you can see that she is really confident driving across the lane to get a bucket. She seems to prefer going left to right, and could probably expand her repertoire in this area. She is also a clever passer within the lane.

She is also a fierce rebounder on offense and defense. She knows how to follow shots, and on defensive rebound she looks up the court for a long outlet pass or, which seems more natural to her, is to charge up the court with the ball. She's got really good speed and, as I've noted before, this maybe a little intimidating for opponents when she comes charging down the floor.

I also agree with @Zarathustra that this was a case of "we have Morgan and you don't." Like Paige, and Ashlynn and KK and Caroline and Azzi all were in HS, she is the indispensable player, the bucket getter, the one who puts the team on her shoulders. Geno has a knack for finding players like this and getting them to play as a unit.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. A little late, but I’ll try to stay up as it’s been a joy watching Morgan Cheli play.

Reaction Score

thank you for the easy link connection! All these teams in the OPEN DIVISION are
very good. Camas has 4 players at 6' 0" or taller (eg Addison Harris) but
Camas' point guards are much smaller than Morgan ( Morgan is 6'1", or 6' 2" if you believe
the MITTY H.S. Roster, I don't). The Camas' PG are # 3 Riley Sanz 5' 8" a senior
and # 35 Kaira ? Thompson also 5'8", a junior. LET THE GAME BEGIN!!

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing the games. I love Morgan's relentlessness. I will definitely watch these games later. Right now, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives is calling me.

Reaction Score
Morgan Cheli and Mitty win 77 - 45 over Camas (WA). By the periods:
Mitty 25 - 15, Mitty 35 - 26, Mitty 54 - 43, and would believe the FINAL 77 - 45!
Camas scored two points with 13 seconds left in the game!
Next up Clackamas with Jasmine "Jazzy" Davidson tonight at 11PM EST.
Clackamas defeated Benson yesterday 69 - 64. So, it will be # 33 Morgan
Cheli (with help from #20 McKenna Woliczko (UCONN POI) vs # 33 Jazzy Davidson.
The announcer's comment on Morgan from last night's game: "They (Camas) have not
got an answer for Cheli! Morgan Cheli is relentless and tenacious". Go future Husky!
Go Mitty Monarchs! Go Morgan and McKenna (" M&M"). The live streaming and replay should be
found at: POA HOLIDAY CLASSIC 2023 OPEN DIVISION Game 8 and Game 12 ( tonight's game ).
See the easy link earlier in this thread by Cornell Lt, # 32. Thanks for the tech support, Cornell Lt.!!

Reaction Score
This is one of the best highlight reels that I have every seen. ( sure I exaggerate, but ...) See thread above # 21
for the link, connection.
A few things of note: I would entitle this reel as "Many MITTY passes make great offense".
Then there was the sequence of Morgan and McKenna on the bench together, the
title there might be: " M & M on the same page... on and off the court!".
And lastly how Morgan makes everyone on the team more effective. She is very quick
bringing the ball up the court in transition and with her height, 6'1",
she has great court vision for those entry passes. ( Are you listening, Sarah??)

Reaction Score
It came to me watching the Camas game how to describe Morgan -- if Aubrey had the mentality of a PG, she'd be Morgan. It's the energy she displays all the time, constantly pushing the pace, but doing it with a 6'2" frame, challenging opposing defenses to deal with her play after play. That feels rather like Aubrey.

Reaction Score
She is a four tool player. Had a real good game that believe it or not could have been better. She had one"Where am I going " moment for a turnover and miss bunnies and foul shots. Hope they're never in a close game. Lots of missed free throws last night.

Reaction Score
It came to me watching the Camas game how to describe Morgan -- if Aubrey had the mentality of a PG, she'd be Morgan. It's the energy she displays all the time, constantly pushing the pace, but doing it with a 6'2" frame, challenging opposing defenses to deal with her play after play. That feels rather like Aubrey.
Aubrey played point guard on her high school team

Reaction Score
She is a four tool player. Had a real good game that believe it or not could have been better. She had one"Where am I going " moment for a turnover and miss bunnies and foul shots. Hope they're never in a close game. Lots of missed free throws last night.
I agree. But in context there were a lot of tired legs in that game. This tournament will mean three games
in three days. Camas was " spent " scoring only two points in the fourth quarter (insight = Camas came
from behind to tie against Mater Dei the night before only to lose 58 - 56 in overtime.) Tonight's game
of Mitty vs Clackamas tonight may be a question of what team will not " hit the wall" (read energy and
foul shots, etc.). Mitty appears to have a deeper bench than Clackamas. And, while Clackamas has the
great "JAZZY" Davidson they seem to be more one dimensional. My unofficial box score from last
night was Morgan 17 points (11 in the second half, seven in the fourth period, two three pointers in the game).
Morgan also had (at least) four steals, five rebounds, and multiple assists to McKenna Woliczko.
McKenna had 22 points (at least) with many from underneath but also a three pointer. I noticed that
Mitty also make a lot of use of hand signals while on offense...that is.. when they are not in their normal a full speed
transition mode. This will not be an ordinary game tonight. Which team will bring the energy for
the third game in three games? Note: Mitty's coach Sue Phillips pulled her starters during the
fourth quarter against Camas. GO MITTY! Bring it home Morgan!! Continue those entry passes to McKenna!

Reaction Score
there were a lot of tired legs in that game.
... and Mitty played a high energy pressing/trapping defense for almost the entire game. They sub a lot, except for Morgan who is on the game for almost the entire time. If she still has legs for a pressing defense this evening, it will speak volumes about her conditioning.

Reaction Score
She didn't shoot well in this game, but she scored through sheer determination. But I think @Zarathustra has a point, that this was the second game in two days, and Mitty plays a very high energy game. I'd be surprised if her shot wasn't suffering from a bit of tired leg syndrome. Her teammates also missed a lot of open shots. All the o-boards really helped them.

Reaction Score
Saturday night's Archbishop Mitty game 11 pm Eastern Time

Very excited for this one. Clackamas features 6’1 Jazzy Davidson, who is #2 in ESPN’s ‘25 rankings and probably my favorite player in the class. It’s not known if she has a UConn offer, but I’d imagine she does.

Reaction Score
Every time that post is re-posted in a comment it comes up as Saturday night's game. But the post was made today (Saturday) and the game is tonight. So to be less confusing the original post should have stated Tonight's game...

Reaction Score
Very excited for this one. Clackamas features 6’1 Jazzy Davidson, who is #2 in ESPN’s ‘25 rankings and probably my favorite player in the class. It’s not known if she has a UConn offer, but I’d imagine she does.
According to the HUSKY NAN's UCONN recruiting/ POI list, that I have, "Jazzy"
Davidson, Class of 2025, is listed under" UCONN Offer?" as a "?" = a question mark.
This game is going to be VERY interesting. Remember this is a (kind of) home
game for Clackamas H.S... Clackamas is in OREGON!! I see it like UCONN
playing in Hartford.... one has to assume that the PORTLAND, OREGON crowd is
NOT GOING TO BE WITH THE CALIFORNIA MITTY TEAM!! I'm going with the
"TEAM" Mitty over the "Individual" Jazzy... Not that CLackamas is a "bad" team.
Mitty has neutralized the BIGS of Long Island Lutheran (Kate Koval, etc.) and the BIG redhead
who played so well for Camas. May history repeat itself! Go MITTY MONARCHS!!
GO MORGAN AND McKENNA!! Go " M&M"!! (That is a phrase borrowed from
McKenna's Mom).

Reaction Score
Watching the game now and Jazzy vs Morgan is an incredible matchup. Jazzy may be a little more skilled as a scorer, but Morgan seems to be stronger and fiercer and may be a better passer. Anytime Morgan is off the floor, Jazzy is virtually unstoppable and vice versa.

If we don’t offer Jazzy, then the universe makes no sense to me. It’s not about glitzy stats, but about an elite athlete. I can’t think of a comparison — maybe Jacy Sheldon if she were a lot taller, or Lexie Hull if she were a better scorer, or a taller more graceful Grace Berger.

The only players I wouldn’t compare her to are Caitlin and Paige because it wouldn’t be fair to her. She hasn’t shown me the passing skills they have, though she has everything else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom