Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged) | The Boneyard

Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged)

Reaction Score
This " Holiday Classic" is a round robin affair in Portland, Oregon : Dec 28: DeSoto (Tx) vs Mitty at 3pm
Dec 29; Mitty vs Camas (WA) 8 pm, and Dec 30: This MITTY game was unavailable to me, I
will check again later. Mater Dei (CA) is in the same division as these other teams but I could not see if they
will meet Mitty on the 30th. Camas and Desoto are highly rated. Mitty of course
was rated # 3 before they defeated then # 1 L I Lutheran in that Championship game (last
week) with Morgan Cheli having a triple double in the finals and McKenna Woliczko (UCONN POI)
receiving the MVP for 91 points in four games and with MASSIVE display of Defensive play against
future N.D. player Kate Koval (9 points). McKenna is a current Sophomore. Time to root again for the " M & M" kids.!

Reaction Score
UPDATE: The third and final Mitty game is against Clackamas H.S., Clackamas, Oregon on
December 30 at 8 pm (I assume Pacific Standard Time). Clackamas features the # 2
Player in the ESPNW class of 2025: Jasmine " Jazzy" Davidson. Jazzy does not have
an "offer" from UCONN per Husky Nan's POI sheet but is a POI, i.e. she is "on" Nan's list. Jazzy is 6' 1" and is
listed as a wing/forward. She has offers from South Carolina, Tenn, Baylor, UCLA,
and Iowa, among others. I will be interested seeing the matchups of Jazzy vs Mitty's
players, i.e. the overall stats comparing Mitty's 6' 1' Morgan and JAZZY vs 6' 2' McKenna Woliczko. Morgan has been ranked # 15 by Hoop Gurlz
(expect that to go UP !!). McKenna has been ranked # 5 by ESPNW for the class of 2026.
Should be a good game, but the Morgan controlling the Mitty attack from the "Point" and
with McKenna's defensive prowess (hopefully) limiting Jazzy's offense, I predict a MITTY WIN.
A full Mitty team "Everybody Eats" effort.
No championship game here... this is a three-game round robin tournament with multiple " divisions. We are
discussing only the top division. I see no " web" page dedicated to the TOURNAMENT so
results may be limited for east coast BONEYARDERS to newspaper reports on the day
following the afternoon / late evening tip off times. I hope some stats will be published as well
as sportswriter's reports.

Reaction Score

UConn Commit Morgan Cheli - Nike TOC Bracket Play​

I especially like the part where she coaches her teammate with a play she draws up on the white board. This 11 minute video exclusively focused on Cheli covers 3 TOC games. More can be found at hoopers4dayz | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok | Linktree

Cheli has game, plays both ends of the court and scores in multiple ways.

Reaction Score
Wow. Playing TOC and then this event shortly afterwards? Impressive, but it also feels a bit much at the same time.

Reaction Score
Wow. Playing TOC and then this event shortly afterwards? Impressive, but it also feels a bit much at the same time.

Read in the article that Nan posted in the Recruiting Thread that she’d played in 64 games last Summer for EYBL. Insane to think about.

Reaction Score

I especially like the part where she coaches her teammate with a play she draws up on the white board. This 11 minute video exclusively focused on Cheli covers 3 TOC games. More can be found at hoopers4dayz | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok | Linktree

There was A Lot of # 33 Morgan to #20 McKenna in those highlights! # 13 Emma Cook
reminds of Nika with her enthusiastic hugs! #23 Belle Bramer for Mitty is heading to Lehigh
and #11 Elana Weisman is heading to Bucknell. This team knows how to share the BALL!
Go MITTY , Beat Desoto (TX) 3 pm PST today!

Reaction Score
Read in the article that Nan posted in the Recruiting Thread that she’d played in 64 games last Summer for EYBL. Insane to think about.
Yikes! That's more than a college season, including the tournament.

Reaction Score
Which number post in the thread is that article in?

Reaction Score

This is the best Morgan video I've seen so far, and I love the bit where she coaches McKenna on the bench. You can see that in her mentality she shares some qualities with Paige. I was trying to find a comparison for her and it's not easy. She has a lot of the skills and the size of Caroline. But she's much faster. She's all go-go-go when she gets the ball. She's not as quick footed as KK, but has a similar PG mentality, and she's a much better perimeter shooter. She also has really quick hands on defense. Then it occurred to me that Morgan is a lot like what Nika would be like if she were 6'2". She mixes it up in the paint more than Nika does. But I suspect if Nika were 4" taller, she'd be as aggressive in the lane as this.

So, what will it mean to have KK overlap with Morgan and Allie for 3 years, and Kelis overlap with them for a different 3, and to have all 4 of them in the rotation for 2 years? I suspect it will look a lot like the team during Gabby's final two years -- high energy, transition ball, quick passing the length of the floor as well as lightning passing in the half court. Those teams intimidated opponents by how quickly they converted any mistakes into transition scores, and this undoubtedly caused even more turnovers.

I'd be tempted to compare Morgan to Katie Lou except that she seems to be quite a bit quicker. It really is stunning when you see a kid this big move that fast. To tell the truth, I think if Sarah commits to UConn, that core of Morgan Sarah Jana and Allie may rule D1 for 4 years.

Here's my starting lineup for next season if Paige and the others don't return: KK Ashlynn Sarah Morgan and Jana -- with a rotation of Allie Qadence Ice and Ayanna. That's one heckuva 9 player rotation. Even if we actually lost 6 players, we would still be a powerhouse. Everyone is in awe at what Dawn has managed to engineer for this year, and it's well deserved awe. But If Sarah commits and Jana comes back awesomely, Geno will have pulled off a similar feat for the next 4 years.

And if Paige and Azzi are back, it's pretty similar, just a deeper rotation and Allie and Morgan get to learn from Coach P for a season. Or, more precisely, Coach M will learn from Coach P how to manage Coach G. Picture this lineup: Paige Azzi Morgan Ashynn and Jana, with a rotation of KK Caroline Sarah Qadence Allie Ice and Ayanna. It's the old dream of two complete "starting" lineups that could sub in and run opponents into the floor and one or two spares.

I know, it's only dreams and fantasy, not rational data analysis, blah blah blah. Criticize me if you insist. But you should really blame @Notyetready for posting that video. That's what set all this off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

she's got UConn written all over her........smart, skilled, aggressive, and unselfish.....

Reaction Score
she'll be a better outside shooter than Jones but I get the comparison......
... and faster. Haley made quick decisions, and that made her great. Morgan has that same decisiveness but even more energy.

Reaction Score
Ok, I can't resist saying one more thing, maybe two... or four.
  1. Watching the chemistry between Morgan and McKenna, if Geno got Morgan to commit, I suspect he'll get McKenna if he tries. She's a bit slight as a big but that might change in the next year or two. You can see how much of McKenna's game depends on having Morgan passing to her after drawing the defense. I suspect McKenna realizes this too.
  2. If Sarah commits to UConn, I suspect she and Morgan will have an impact similar to Katie Lou and Napheesa. If she's listening to her mom, I'm sure such thoughts have been discussed between them.
  3. Someone noted that Morgan has a high dribble, so I watched a few videos in addition to this one and came to a different conclusion. In the open court, she dribbles high when she's going full-bore. But she knows how to get low in traffic. I don't think this is going to be any sort of problem. In this current video (at 0:40), against Miami Country Day, their little speedy guard can't keep up with Morgan in the open floor much less challenge her dribble.
  4. Against Xavier Prep, at the 4:47 mark their big (#52) loses her cool and throws an elbow at Morgan and it's whistled. I suspect that happens a bit given the energy level Morgan plays at. In a later play, you can see that #52 really wants to make a defensive play on Morgan and she uses this to get easy buckets for McKenna. She is one heady player.
I am so impressed by Morgan, and the fact that Geno got her to commit.

Reaction Score
Archbishop Mitty 50 Desoto 30 FINAL SCORE
Live streaming for the game was found at (google): Pacific Office Automation Holiday Classic
I do not have the stats or box score. It may be published tomorrow at www.Portlandtribune.com
with the sportswriter: AUSTIN WHITE He wrote the initial article highlighting the tournament
and the pairings. There are 54 schools in the entire tournament. Mitty is one of
eight teams in the OPEN DIVISION (top schools).

Reaction Score
Half time was MITTY 25 Desoto 9
I found a video (full game) of the game at POA Holiday Classic 2023 OPEN DIVISION GAME 1
Desoto (TX) vs Archbishop Mitty (CA). Quote from the announcer: "MORGAN CHELI has been dominating!"
I hope the link works for you. Consider also www.youtube.com YOUTUBE Desoto vs
Archbishop Mitty High School today.

Reaction Score
Tonight Archbishop Mitty plays Camas (WA) at 8 pm PST
Camas lost to Mater Dei 58 - 56 in "Game number 3" yesterday
This Mitty game should be available at (google): " POA Holiday Classic 2023
OPEN DIVISION GAME 8 Archbishop Mitty (CA) vs Camas (WA)"
That is the 8th game of the Round Robin. It they list it by days
then the numbering would likely be the same title but replace
the "8" with a "4" to indicate the Game 4 ( of the day, Friday)
rather than GAME 8 of the tournament. Sorry about any confusion.
Maybe somebody more tech savvy than I could put a link to
the entire GAME 1 victory on the Boneyard? It is available by
the google technique under # 20 , see above in this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom