Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections

Reaction Score
>> The professors union was previously granted the right to depose of former UConn basketball players Ray Allen, Terry Larrier, Sterling Gibbs and Rodney Purvis, as well as former coaches Ricky Moore, Dwayne Killings and Kevin Freeman. Others on the list to be deposed of were former athletic director Warde Manuel, former recruit James Akinjo and his guardian Rachel Kackson, as well as his stepfather Chris Wright, former player development coach Danny Griffin and former audio/visual coordinator Dave Sevush.<<

giphy.gif

Who is Dave Sevush?

Reaction Score
Just curious...how much do we think they have already spent on this? KO zero because I would guess it is a contingency set up.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It's one thing to drag former players through this, but now to start dragging former recruits who never ever came here is ridiculous. I know we have a new regime right now but I can only image this can be used as negative recruiting fuel....

A state already headed towards bankruptcy that has burned through 5000X the amount of this lawsuit amount is now digging in their heels over a relatively small amount of money? Ollie deserved to be fired regardless of these violations. At this point let's just pay the man and make this nightmare end. Even if the state wins in the courts, is it really a "win" after all they will spend on legal fees and damage to our reputation?

Reaction Score
It's one thing to drag former players through this, but now to start dragging former recruits who never ever came here is ridiculous. I know we have a new regime right now but I can only image this can be used as negative recruiting fuel....

A state already headed towards bankruptcy that has burned through 5000X the amount of this lawsuit amount is now digging in their heels over a relatively small amount of money? Ollie deserved to be fired regardless of these violations. At this point let's just pay the man and make this nightmare end. Even if the state wins in the courts, is it really a "win" after all they will spend on legal fees and damage to our reputation?
11 million dollars is a now a "relatively small amount of money?" Lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I strongly doubt attorneys fees for this matter are anywhere near $55,000,000,000.

Paying Ollie an undeserved $11 million is the worst of possible outcomes and if anything is more damaging to our reputation than staying the course (and in all likelihood prevailing.) Now if KO wants to offer a reasonable settlement (which I've previously posted would be not greater than $1M paid over 4 years, with a general release, a joint statement (unintended mistakes were made) with a mutual non-disparagement clause) then by all means, he should offer it. UConn would probably accept it on a nuisance/uncertainty basis.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I strongly doubt attorneys fees for this matter are anywhere near $55,000,000,000.

Paying Ollie an undeserved $11 million is the worst of possible outcomes and if anything is more damaging to our reputation than staying the course (and in all likelihood prevailing.) Now if KO wants to offer a reasonable settlement (which I've previously posted would be not greater than $1M paid over 4 years, with a general release, a joint statement (unintended mistakes were made) with a mutual non-disparagement clause) then by all means, he should offer it. UConn would probably accept it on a nuisance/uncertainty basis.

$55B is the total state debt. My point is that what KO is seeking from the lawsuit is 0.02% of what the state has burned money on. It's not even a drop in the bucket. This $11 million won't put them in any worse or better financial situation if win or lose.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
11 million dollars is a now a "relatively small amount of money?" Lol.

Compared to the $51,000,000,000 state debt, yes it is a very small amount of money. $11 million isn't going to bankrupt the state, they are well past that point. Making a statement over this amount of money is going to do more harm than good and may end up costing them more in the end when you factor in all the costs (even if they win).

Reaction Score
Compared to the $51,000,000,000 state debt, yes it is a very small amount of money. $11 million isn't going to bankrupt the state, they are well past that point. Making a statement over this amount of money is going to do more harm than good and may end up costing them more in the end when you factor in all the costs (even if they win).

The state doesn't increase UConn's budget because of an item like this.

You subtract $11 million from UConn's fungible budget (i.e. the amount not earmarked for salaries, benefits, research, etc.). It's probably around 5% of that budget.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
$55B is the total state debt. My point is that what KO is seeking from the lawsuit is 0.02% of what the state has burned money on. It's not even a drop in the bucket. This $11 million won't put them in any worse or better financial situation if win or lose.
Uh, so your argument for paying someone an undeserved $11M is that it is only 0.02% of existing debt for entire state? Yeah, I'm not seeing the logic in that at all.

Reaction Score
What is UConn supposed to do? Ollie's legal team is going to call people in for depositions. Is UConn's legal team just supposed to place nice and not also call people in?
Ollie has nothing to stand on, his team's only play is to drag everything out as long as humanely possible and hope UConn will cave and pay him all the money, it ain't happening. He would have been better off trying to use his NBA connections to get an assistant job but I wouldn't be surprised if he burned all those bridges too.

Reaction Score
What is UConn supposed to do? Ollie's legal team is going to call people in for depositions. Is UConn's legal team just supposed to place nice and not also call people in?

Don't you think people are right to be concerned that this could all blow up in UConn's face? I mean, look at the list of people UConn wants to question. If your spidey senses aren't tingling, you are just whistling past the graveyard.

Reaction Score
Don't you think people are right to be concerned that this could all blow up in UConn's face? I mean, look at the list of people UConn wants to question. If your spidey senses aren't tingling, you are just whistling past the graveyard.
So the legal team should not be allowed to depose anyone while Ollie's team does? Is that what you actually think?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom