Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections

Reaction Score
Don't you think people are right to be concerned that this could all blow up in UConn's face? I mean, look at the list of people UConn wants to question. If your spidey senses aren't tingling, you are just whistling past the graveyard.
To be honest with you, no. I think those people are insane

Reaction Score
Omg! Do we have enough of us to give $10.00 to get Ollie some money to end this? Sheeeesh

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Omg! Do we have enough of us to give $10.00 to get Ollie some money to end this? Sheeeesh
lol, the only place "this" is paid any attention to is on the BY. If you really want to make it go away, just don't click on the thread. Problem solved.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Uh, so your argument for paying someone an undeserved $11M is that it is only 0.02% of existing debt for entire state? Yeah, I'm not seeing the logic in that at all.

It peanuts comparatively and what they are going to spend fighting this is going to probably end up being more than what paying it would be worth even if they win. The point is for a state with any lack of fiscal responsibility, to try and draw the line here and make this a lose lose for everyone involved is sad to see.

No one is going to win in this situation, including KO even if he get paid (his reputation is ruined, 3 year show cause, burned his bridges with this vengeful lawsuit), but the longer this goes on the more of a loser everyone ends up being.

Reaction Score
Negotiate a settlement south of $11 million and move on. All these proposed depositions will not be good for anyone.

Reaction Score
lol, the only place "this" is paid any attention to is on the BY. If you really want to make it go away, just don't click on the thread. Problem solved.
That was sarcasm

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
$11 million is great, but to say that nobody outside of the state of Connecticut notices this or cares about it is just plain foolish. We're asking former recruits to come in and give depositions? If you think other programs won't use that to negatively recruit against us...

And no, to be clear, I don't think Ollie deserves a penny of the money. Deserve's got nothing to do with it. It's too late to do anything but fight this to the end at this point, but I'm of the opinion now that they screwed up not paying Ollie.

Reaction Score
$11 million is great, but to say that nobody outside of the state of Connecticut notices this or cares about it is just plain foolish. We're asking former recruits to come in and give depositions? If you think other programs won't use that to negatively recruit against us...

And no, to be clear, I don't think Ollie deserves a penny of the money. Deserve's got nothing to do with it. It's too late to do anything but fight this to the end at this point, but I'm of the opinion now that they screwed up not paying Ollie.
I don't know how many more times it needs to be said, but UConn offered KO money and he turned it down. There's only 1 side who comes out looking bad here, and spoiler, it's not the side that 99% of this board cares about

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't know how many more times it needs to be said, but UConn offered KO money and he turned it down. There's only 1 side who comes out looking bad here, and spoiler, it's not the side that 99% of this board cares about

How many schools around the country have deposed their own recruits in the past 5 years? If you can't see how that's a major problem, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
I strongly doubt attorneys fees for this matter are anywhere near $55,000,000,000.

Paying Ollie an undeserved $11 million is the worst of possible outcomes and if anything is more damaging to our reputation than staying the course (and in all likelihood prevailing.) Now if KO wants to offer a reasonable settlement (which I've previously posted would be not greater than $1M paid over 4 years, with a general release, a joint statement (unintended mistakes were made) with a mutual non-disparagement clause) then by all means, he should offer it. UConn would probably accept it on a nuisance/uncertainty basis.

How is $1M a reasonable settlement?

Reaction Score
How many schools around the country have deposed their own recruits in the past 5 years? If you can't see how that's a major problem, I don't know what to tell you.
I can't tell you that answer, and the reason is because outside of that team and their fans nobody cared

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because it's $1M more than he's entitled to.

If you believe that then don't offer to settle at all. But that would not be a reasonable settlement offer, he'd be much better off just rolling the dice

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm a little slow. If arbitration ruled UConn's claim is to be decided on what UConn knew and claimed at time of dismissal; does all discovery have to relate to the claims they made in firing? My understanding is that Miller's relaying what his wife heard was not used to fire Ollie, so that even if he did get the mom paid it could not be used to support the firing. Am I missing something. Seems like that would narrow the deposition list and the amount and type of questions pretty narrowly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I can say with absolute certainty that it’s much much less of a deal than you’re making it out to be.

I believe that you want that to be true, but I don't believe it is.

Ollie torpedoed the program and absolutely doesn't deserve this money, but UConn fighting him on it has fractured Calhoun's relationship with our all-time most popular player. That same player has spoken out against the school, and blew off his former coach's charity golf tournament. Almost every article written in national media for the last year and a half has mentioned this court battle, and now we're deposing recruits who didn't even come here, they just visited and now they're dragged into this battle.

This is a really bad look for the program. I'm not saying it's going to destroy the basketball program or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lost out on a recruit or two, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ray and coach Calhoun's relationship was irretrievably fractured. Is the collateral damage really worth it?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Ollie torpedoed the program and absolutely doesn't deserve this money, but UConn fighting him on it has fractured Calhoun's relationship with our all-time most popular player. That same player has spoken out against the school, and blew off his former coach's charity golf tournament. Almost every article written in national media for the last year and a half has mentioned this court battle, and now we're deposing recruits who didn't even come here, they just visited and now they're dragged into this battle.

This is a really bad look for the program. I'm not saying it's going to destroy the basketball program or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lost out on a recruit or two, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ray and coach Calhoun's relationship was irretrievably fractured. Is the collateral damage really worth it?
no

Reaction Score

& what could the school possibly want with those recruits anyway?

CL82

Reaction Score
When we have recruits saying well I would’ve gone to you can but I didn’t want to be subject to a deposition, I’ll start worrying. Until then I’ll tell you it’s pretty much only this board that gives a rats patootie about this.

Reaction Score

There wont be a single recruit who decides not come here just because of some former coach's legal battle with the university over money. 16, 17, and 18 year old kids don't give a single about it. 99.9% of people outside of the state don't give a about it.

Almost every national media article has mentioned it? Go ahead and control+f "Ollie" in the following national media articles about UConn. Not a single mention. No one cares.

Big East officially announces UConn's return

UConn officially rejoins the Big East with big welcome at Madison Square Garden

UConn’s Big East Return Is the Right Kind of Conference Realignment

Reaction Score

This is so overwrought. Y'all need to let the lawyers take care of the lawyer stuff, Hurley take care of the Hurley stuff, and Benedict take care of the Benedict stuff. You don't pay a dude 11 million dollars because you're worried Ray and the Oakland Soldiers (or whoever) might be irked about it. We'll be fine.

CL82

Reaction Score
How is $1M a reasonable settlement?
Because his legal case is extraordinarily weak. He had a contract which terminated upon his committing NCAA violations and he committed and he committed NCAA violations. So realistically the settlement amount is the amount you pay to get rid of the nuisance of having to deal with the suit.

Note that I didn’t say the value of his case was worth 1 million I said that I wouldn’t pay more than 1 million and only over 4 years. His representation is well aware he loses on the merits, which is why they going out of their way to be as annoying as possible. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have destroyed Kevin Ollie’s reputation. They would’ve litigated and kept a low profile which would be more in keeping with their clients interests.

Reaction Score
The professors union was previously granted the right to depose of former UConn basketball players Ray Allen, Terry Larrier, Sterling Gibbs and Rodney Purvis, as well as former coaches Ricky Moore, Dwayne Killings and Kevin Freeman. Others on the list to be deposed of were former athletic director Warde Manuel, former recruit James Akinjo and his guardian Rachel Kackson, as well as his stepfather Chris Wright, former player development coach Danny Griffin and former audio/visual coordinator Dave Sevush

Uh, Ray, UConn didn't ask for you to be deposed. Ollie did.

Maybe you ought to rethink who your angry with.

Ray objected to the University's treatment during the process not to who made the request. Interesting to see Ray's Coral Gables home valued at $11MM.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom