April Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

April Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do too, I think Patterson takes the Aubrey, Samari Walker role. Plays defensively out of position when we need her. If Aubrey is ok then Patterson may have to force Geno to play her because she may not have any other way to get minutes. She seems limited on offense. Brady I fully expect to be a regular in the rotation no matter who we get. She is big enough and not afraid to bang and she can play with finesse. I think she surprises everyone. She does need to get in college shape though. We still need at the very least another big who specially in rebounding and can score down low. I guess Dorka and Brady may be enough as far as bigs hitting from the outside. Edwards needs to work on that also. We got the guards, we just need someone to handle Brink and Boston in the tourney if we want to win it all.
I'm expecting Patterson to be better than Brady whether it be early or late.

Reaction Score
Ok, so family school familiarity.

Someone on BY recently highlighted AZ post transfer candidate Aaronette Vonleh— also with NBA brother (Noah). She was Oregon Miss Basketball in 2021 & played with USA Basketball, so pedigree there.
She’s someone I believe could develop into a great player but I doubt she could help us next season to the extent needed.

Reaction Score
Key recruiting take away from the game last night: UCONN has acute needs for a more physical post presence and better perimeter defender that maybe best filled by Breya Cunningham (post presence) and Sahara Williams (perimeter defender) in the 2023 class for the long term. The short term answer might have to come from the transfer portal (Kennedy Brown) and Priscilla Williams and/or Abby Meyers.
I did notice that Priscilla Williams commented under Paige’s end of season post. Coincidence?

Reaction Score
Esmery Martinez would be a good pickup for UCONN. She is a former HS teammate of Kamilla Cardoso.

Had a dip in scoring and rebounding in Jr year from soph. Any reasons why?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
COVID.
"That wasn't the case in last week's 88-72 loss against Iowa State, in which starting forward Esmery Martinez, as well as key reserves Blessing Ejifor and Jasmine Carson were out due to COVID-19 protocol."

Reaction Score
She didn’t play as many minutes this year as last and, honestly, they just looked really different without Kysre Gondrezick.

Reaction Score
maybe defensively but Brady looks college ready on the offensive end..............her shot from the three-point line in is a thing of beauty.......
Yeah but I don't think her offense is going to translate as a frosh much vs what Patterson brings. How many great shooters come in as frosh and then struggle their 1st year? Shooting well in High School vs shooting for a championship caliber team is completely different. And I remember that past infamous Saylor Poffenbarger threads/comments when she came to UCONN as a senior and she wound up being 1-11 from 3.

On the flip side, Patterson's hustle and rebounding (including offensive) and overall defense can compete vs nearly everyone. UCONN's fastbreak will be more formidable with a quicker defense and a better rebounder in Patterson along with faster up the court in transition. And I believe around the basket Patterson will be able to finish better.

Reaction Score
Yeah but I don't think her offense is going to translate as a frosh much vs what Patterson brings. How many great shooters come in as frosh and then struggle their 1st year? Shooting well in High School vs shooting for a championship caliber team is completely different. And I remember that past infamous Saylor Poffenbarger threads/comments when she came to UCONN as a senior and she wound up being 1-11 from 3.

On the flip side, Patterson's hustle and rebounding (including offensive) and overall defense can compete vs nearly everyone. UCONN's fastbreak will be more formidable with a quicker defense and a better rebounder in Patterson along with faster up the court in transition. And I believe around the basket Patterson will be able to finish better.
I have no problem with your opinion, you may be right initially. But Brady is a real good passer and will impact the offense in several ways. She's very smart. I would just throw out two things. 1) There aren't many great shooters coming out of HS. There are really good scorers who get a lot of points against weak competition but they aren't necessarily real good shooters. 2) There is no comparison between Brady and Poffenbarger as shooters. Brady is a real good shooter, SP is not.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with your opinion, you may be right initially. But Brady is a real good passer and will impact the offense in several ways. She's very smart. I would just throw out two things. 1) There aren't many great shooters coming out of HS. There are really good scorers who get a lot of points against weak competition but they aren't necessarily real good shooters. 2) There is no comparison between Brady and Poffenbarger as shooters. Brady is a real good shooter, SP is not.
Agree that not many great shooters come out of high school as they generally become better for years to come with additional practice. I also think Ice is probably a good shooter for a big especially but I'd be surprised if she's a better shooter than Poffenberger. It's apples to oranges in a way. I think Ice is skilled in many ways and I'd rather have her than Saylor but they are apples to oranges.

Reaction Score

True but Saylor was an injured three point shooter who should have stayed in high school while a legit 6'3" Brady can hit that jumper from ten feet or twenty five.........Geno seems to think she's going to be an early contributor so I guess we should take his word for it..........I'm hoping Patterson ends up as a taller Gabby Williams kind of player..........she certainly has off the charts athleticism...........not sure about her offensive skill set but I believe she'll make a difference defensively and on the boards early on.......

Reaction Score
True but Saylor was an injured three point shooter who should have stayed in high school while a legit 6'3" Brady can hit that jumper from ten feet or twenty five.........Geno seems to think she's going to be an early contributor so I guess we should take his word for it..........I'm hoping Patterson ends up as a taller Gabby Williams kind of player..........she certainly has off the charts athleticism...........not sure about her offensive skill set but I believe she'll make a difference defensively and on the boards early on.......

How could Saylor have stayed in high school if her season was canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom