April 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The comparison of Dorka to Evelyn Adebayo is quite laughable. A better comparison statistically, size and strength of the conference played in is Azura Stevens. Many also fooled themselves into believing Geno would never be interested in a transfer from Duke yet there we were.
Don’t know who suggested that Geno wouldn’t be interested in a Duke transfer, but it certainly wasn’t me. There was also a significant difference in 2016 with Z then there is today. Going into 2016-17 the only true post was Nat, so Geno needed size up front and Z certainly fit the need. Not many teams make it to the FF with a 5’11” center.

Today, UConn has plenty of size, and lots of depth. I don’t think there’s any mutual interest with Juhasz, just like there was no mutual interest last year between UConn and Lucy Cochrane, although some here on the BY thought there should be.

FYI, Cochrane transferred to U of Portland and subsequently disappeared. I don’t know if she never made it to the school, opted out due to Covid or was injured.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where are all these ladies going to go? 836!
After the NCAA decided this year doesn’t count against a player’s eligibility, many listed as grad transfers probably figured, what the hell? Why not put my name in the portal and see if any schools want to give me another year of free college so I don’t have to work for a living.

To quote Rodney Dangerfield to the graduating seniors in the movie Back to School, “Don’t go! It’s a jungle out there.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd love to know what percentage of all the active DI basketball players went into the transfer portal this season.........
I believe there’s 350 schools. If you figure an average of 12 players per school that’s 4200 players. 836 out of 4200 is approximately 20%. FYI, there’s over 1000 players listed in the portal for MBB.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'd love to know what percentage of all the active DI basketball players went into the transfer portal this season.........
You can assume 350+ D1 programs and an average of at least 10 per roster so 3500 so it would be somewhere around 22-24%. If you count only undergrad, more like 15%. I do think there are probably more juniors transferring than normal as well figuring they could get two years in a new program, rather than one, so the extra year of eligibility probably has some effect on changing schools for them also.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don’t know who suggested that Geno wouldn’t be interested in a Duke transfer, but it certainly wasn’t me. There was also a significant difference in 2016 with Z then there is today. Going into 2016-17 the only true post was Nat, so Geno needed size up front and Z certainly fit the need. Not many teams make it to the FF with a 5’11” center.

Today, UConn has plenty of size, and lots of depth. I don’t think there’s any mutual interest with Juhasz, just like there was no mutual interest last year between UConn and Lucy Cochrane, although some here on the BY thought there should be.

FYI, Cochrane transferred to U of Portland and subsequently disappeared. I don’t know if she never made it to the school, opted out due to Covid or was injured.
UCONN had plenty in the post besides Natalie Butler when Azura decided to transfer into UCONN. There was Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams. Collier would be name AA in the year that Azura was required to sit and Gabby Williams emerged as a POY candidate. Despite having Natalie Napheesa and Gabby Geno saw fit to take in not only Azura as a post transfer but also took in Batouly Camara the same year.
You are correct there was a significant difference between then and now. Then UCONN had two AAs in the post (Gabby, Napheesa) , a contributor (Natalie) and another player who if she were healthy would have been another contributor (Batouly). Today UCONN has AE and ONO and Amari on the way. I'm glad you think that's plenty. Lucy Cochrane would have probably made some of those layups against Arizona though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UCONN had plenty in the post besides Natalie Butler when Azura decided to transfer into UCONN. There was Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams. Collier would be name AA in the year that Azura was required to sit and Gabby Williams emerged as a POY candidate. Despite having Natalie Napheesa and Gabby Geno saw fit to take in not only Azura as a post transfer but also took in Batouly Camara the same year.
You are correct there was a significant difference between then and now. Then UCONN had two AAs in the post (Gabby, Napheesa) , a contributor (Natalie) and another player who if she were healthy would have been another contributor (Batouly). Today UCONN has AE and ONO and Amari on the way. I'm glad you think that's plenty. Lucy Cochrane would have probably made some of those layups against Arizona though.
You are mistaken. When Z transferred to UConn in the spring of 2016 UConn’s 2 AA’s in the post were Stewie & Tuck who were graduating. Neither Gabby or Pheesa were regular starters at that time, and Geno had no idea both would become AA’s
In 2017.

As for Cochrane making layups vs AZ, not quite sure how that could happen, considering that she didn’t play a single minute or make a single basket for Portland this season.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are mistaken. When Z transferred to UConn in the spring of 2016 UConn’s 2 AA’s in the post were Stewie & Tuck who were graduating. Neither Gabby or Pheesa were regular starters at that time, and Geno had no idea both would become AA’s In 2017.As for Cochrane making layups vs AZ. Not quite sure how that could happen, considering that she didn’t play a single minute or make a single basket for Portland this season.
When Geno had Morgan Tuck, Stewie, Gabby Williams, and Kia Stokes on the roster he took in a post transfer=Natalie Butler. When Geno had Naphessa, Gabby & and Natalie he brought in two post transfers = Batouly & Azura. Geno has a pretty good idea of what players will become AA. I also know that if there is an opportunity to add talent Geno will. I have no idea if Geno is interested in Dorka or not. Dorka is talented despite your attempt to distort her numbers. How/when did you become so convinced about what Geno will do?

Reaction Score
After the NCAA decided this year doesn’t count against a player’s eligibility, many listed as grad transfers probably figured, what the hell? Why not put my name in the portal and see if any schools want to give me another year of free college so I don’t have to work for a living.

To quote Rodney Dangerfield to the graduating seniors in the movie Back to School, “Don’t go! It’s a jungle out there.”
My favorite to the female professor or administrator, “Call me when you have no class”!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Where are all these ladies going to go? 836!
It's a giant game of musical chairs! :D

For example, Mississippi State lost some players to transfer (at least Matharu and I believe others). But they added the THREE Hayes sisters. When the music stops, who will be where?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Geno had Morgan Tuck, Stewie, Gabby Williams, and Kia Stokes on the roster he took in a post transfer=Natalie Butler. When Geno had Naphessa, Gabby & and Natalie he brought in two post transfers = Batouly & Azura. Geno has a pretty good idea of what players will become AA. I also know that if there is an opportunity to add talent Geno will. I have no idea if Geno is interested in Dorka or not. Dorka is talented despite your attempt to distort her numbers. How/when did you become so convinced about what Geno will do?
Now you’re just making stuff up. You were mistaken about Cochrane last year and you should know that Geno has no interest in bringing in a player this year who shoots 20% from the arc and 43% from the FT line.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's a giant game of musical chairs! :D

For example, Mississippi State lost some players to transfer (at least Matharu and I believe others). But they added the THREE Hayes sisters. When the music stops, who will be where?
Syracuse just lost their 11th player, freshman G Kiara Fisher, to the transfer portal, leaving the Orange with only 3 returning players. I’m guessing Coach Q is working the phones intently to find some players.

Reaction Score
Syracuse just lost their 11th player, freshman G Kiara Fisher, to the transfer portal, leaving the Orange with only 3 returning players. I’m guessing Coach Q is working the phones intently to find some players.
I wonder if the university is investigating the wcbb program at Syracuse ?
Surely, having 11 team members enter the portal must raise some red flags. It would seem prudent for the university to do some digging in order to, at least, exonerate the coach from any wrongdoing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Now you’re just making stuff up. You were mistaken about Cochrane last year and you should know that Geno has no interest in bringing in a player this year who shoots 20% from the arc and 43% from the FT line.
Evelyn is going to be a Beast this year. Watching her 28 pt effort vs the LV’s last season was something to behold. Against the much bigger LV’s she was unstoppable both inside and out, continually getting inside position with a combination of strength, effort and an array of remarkable moves straight off the playground.

Can the season start tomorrow....Please?

Reaction Score
Surely, having 11 team members enter the portal must raise some red flags. It would seem prudent for the university to do some digging in order to, at least, exonerate the coach from any wrongdoing.
Yeah, let’s investigate for the sake of investigation because we as a society should be about exonerating someone from any wrongdoing without ANY suggestion any has occurred.

Reaction Score
Yeah, let’s investigate for the sake of investigation because we as a society should be about exonerating someone from any wrongdoing without ANY suggestion any has occurred.
A legitimate point. The other side is doing nothing until it blows up and everyone questions why the university didn't look into it when the signs were obvious.
Of course, it very well might be that everything is fine at Syracuse.
Let me ask you this; if you owned a company and 11 of 15 employees, in the same department, left at the same time, would you ask the manager of that department any questions ?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Blame UConn.

Reaction Score
I did feel that the word exonerate was a poor choice. Perhaps “examine the trajectory” of the woman’s BB program at the University?
Could be a number of factors other than the coach.
It may have been a poor choice of words.
He is innocent until proven guilty.
How do you think Syracuse appears to prospective recruits ? If I was running their AD, I would want to get in front of any controversy. That's if women's basketball means anything to the university.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Fisher is one of four players including Taleah Washington, Faith Blackstone and Khamya McNeal that were suspended from Syracuse’s postseason run due to a violation of team rules. All four players are currently in the transfer portal.

On March 26 — the same day Engstler, Blackstone and Washington entered the portal — Fisher’s mother told Syracuse.com that she wasn’t seeking a transfer.

Syracuse now has four players from last season’s roster on the team: Kamilla Cardoso, Priscilla Williams, Ava Irvin and Teisha Hyman.

The Orange will bring in a top-15 recruiting class of five along with two new transfer players, former Southern California guard Shalexxus Aaron and Howard graduate transfer Jayla Thornton.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It may have been a poor choice of words.
He is innocent until proven guilty.
How do you think Syracuse appears to prospective recruits ? If I was running their AD, I would want to get in front of any controversy. That's if women's basketball means anything to the university.
:eek: "Proven guilty" is not a better choice of words. It appears that all the recent players that have left Syracuse have left on good terms based on social media postings. The point many are trying to make is there has been no allegation of wrongdoing (as of yet) that would warrant an investigation. BTW Quentin Hillsman was investigated and exonerated in 2011 regarding text messages.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Other than the sheer number of transfers, I’m not aware of any particular indication of wrongdoing on the part of the coaching staff. Kids are transferring everywhere. At Syracuse it’s just a lot more of them all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom