April 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I was wrong about Evelyn and freely admit it. But since you’re dragging out old posts, may I suggest that you take a look at your own posts from a thread titled, “Is Nika the X-factor?”

If you want to focus on the highly improbable possibility that Juhasz transfers to UConn, have at it. Like most UConn fans, I am far more interested in the 14 young ladies who are committed to being part of next year’s team, as well as those recruits who have committed, and will commit, to the incoming class of 2022.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I was wrong about Evelyn and freely admit it. But since you’re dragging out old posts, may I suggest that you take a look at your own posts from a thread titled, “Is Nika the X-factor?”

If you want to focus on the highly improbable possibility that Juhasz transfers to UConn, have at it. Like most UConn fans, I am far more interested in the 14 young ladies who are committed to being part of next year’s team, as well as those recruits who have committed, and will commit, to the incoming class of 2022.

canadian do not want GIF by CBC

Sometime after mid season or so Geno will start working Piath into the rotation for 5-10 mpg subbing for Liv.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The REAL question is why would a student athlete transfer from sunny southern California to snow belt bound Syracuse?
Leave the sun block- take the chap stick.
( tongue in cheek)
Why do people want to go to the Moon? Its cold there and there isn't much to do there. You have to go 240000 miles to find the nearest dairy queen and the wi fi sucks...

Reaction Score
I will try to present a middle ground here. First I have indicated that Gorka could be an interesting addition for one year. Do we need her badly, no! Is it likely she would come here even if Geno was interested? Probably not, but following Uconn on social media suggests there might be a chance. Do we already have a problem keeping lots of very good players happy with playing time? Yes. If bringing her for one year caused another very good 4 year player to leave, would that make it a mistake? Probably.

I was very wrong on Evelyn, not just based on her stats, but knowing they were from low level competition, and after seeing some video on her as well. So I will probably be forever a skeptic on big numbers from lesser programs. But Gorka's were from a Power 5 conference. Does that make me think Gorka is Azura 2.0? No, but I suspect much closer to her than Evelyn. Do I think Gorka would be a stretch 4 at Uconn? No, and I would not consider her a serious threat to the playing time of Liv or Aaliyah.

I think the best potential role for her would be Liv's principal backup, with some time but not much at PF. Now I think Amari will probably be a very good backup to Liv her freshmen year, but there will still be learning pains. Dorka would still have to beat out Amari for that role and maybe she wouldn't, but as a senior who has succeeded against good competition, I think her chances against a freshmen, even a very talented one, are pretty good. As for Amari's future, this would be like a one year rental that could raise the floor of how good our backup center will be during Amari's learning year. Whether it be Gorga or Amari, knowing that we would have a big maybe of the Prechtel level at Stanford coming off the bench even if Amari takes a while to get there. Amari's Uconn future after this year would still be bright.

Now there are many reasons why she would not want to come here, even if we wanted her. Her playing time probably would be cut dramatically. So why could she even consider it? Would it hurt her professional aspirations? Possibly, but if she performs very well even in limited minutes at Uconn, scouts will see plenty of you. Another factor is maybe she wants to see what a year of Uconn coaching does for her game. She might be better after that, and she would be going against players like Liv, Aaliyah and Amari every day in practice. In addition some may want to be part of the Uconn experience. Tons of exposure, in the limelight all the time and with a team that will probably make the final four and could easily win the championship.

So there are reasons why she may not want us, and visa versa, and I worry about the overloaded roster as much as anyone. Maybe we shouldn't pursue her because of that, but the odds would seem to be pretty good that Gorka as a proven senior, could be better than Amari as a freshmen for the role of backup C for next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Fisher is one of four players including Taleah Washington, Faith Blackstone and Khamya McNeal that were suspended from Syracuse’s postseason run due to a violation of team rules. All four players are currently in the transfer portal.

On March 26 — the same day Engstler, Blackstone and Washington entered the portal — Fisher’s mother told Syracuse.com that she wasn’t seeking a transfer.

Syracuse now has four players from last season’s roster on the team: Kamilla Cardoso, Priscilla Williams, Ava Irvin and Teisha Hyman.

The Orange will bring in a top-15 recruiting class of five along with two new transfer players, former Southern California guard Shalexxus Aaron and Howard graduate transfer Jayla Thornton.
5 of the Syracuse transfer portal players are also grad transfers and one of those 5 was also a walk on transfer into Syracuse. Still not a pretty picture, but you have 5 graduates, 4 suspended players and two players choosing to transfer so it looks better than just saying 11 players transferring.

Not sure what the general student population rate is for changing schools for graduate studies but I am pretty sure it is quite high - a lot of schools don't have lots of grad degrees available, and a lot of departments strongly recommend going elsewhere for a grad degree for the breadth of experience available from a different group of professors. We normally do not notice any of these grad transfers because almost all have used up their eligibility.

Reaction Score
Syracuse just lost their 11th player, freshman G Kiara Fisher, to the transfer portal, leaving the Orange with only 3 returning players. I’m guessing Coach Q is working the phones intently to find some players.
did any program ever lost 11 players to transfer in one year? this is crazy...

Reaction Score
Interesting about the Bigs being mentioned & their scoring abilities for transfer. Question is, what about all the new player talents, we got coming in. Geno has to find out their ability to practice as a team, attitude & their performance, on a higher scale. He has many unknowns to deal with. Me thinks that he will be very occupied! Did say something about being versatile as important !

Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread but interesting article
“That said, expect the Huskies to peruse the transfer market, particularly for help in the frontcourt.”

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/artic..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

Reaction Score
A legitimate point. The other side is doing nothing until it blows up and everyone questions why the university didn't look into it when the signs were obvious.
Of course, it very well might be that everything is fine at Syracuse.
Let me ask you this; if you owned a company and 11 of 15 employees, in the same department, left at the same time, would you ask the manager of that department any questions ?
Of course and I am sure that is occurring but that is much different than the tenor of your post which had a “guilty until proven innocent” slant.

Reaction Score
Of course and I am sure that is occurring but that is much different than the tenor of your post which had a “guilty until proven innocent” slant.
I'm happy to see that you agree with me. That if the university isn't already making inquiries, they should be asking questions soon.
And if they do find that there's nothing wrong with how the program is being run, what should they do with that information ?
If you were the athletic director, which would you do ?:
Sit on the findings and keep silent.
or
Make an announcement that transfers are now an everyday part of wcbb and the Syracuse program is just fine.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see that you agree with me. That if the university isn't already making inquiries, they should be asking questions soon.
And if they do find that there's nothing wrong with how the program is being run, what should they do with that information ?
If you were the athletic director, which would you do ?:
Sit on the findings and keep silent.
or
Make an announcement that transfers are now an everyday part of wcbb and the Syracuse program is just fine.
No, I did not agree with you, you must be a lawyer. You posted a completely different premise with your reply. An “investigation” to prove innocence against non-existing charges, which you originally called for, is far different than asking questions of employees in the normal course of business. Sorry, you are barking up the wrong tree if you think such a sophomoric trick is going to hold water with me.

Reaction Score
I really don't see the need for another big at this point unless she's a physical presence inside and I don't think this recruit fits that criteria..........with the additions of and CD I would think the need for additional three point shooting should be minimal
An experienced 6’4 3 point shooting big sounds good to me, I wouldn’t be turning her down. and CD are freshman so who even knows how well the adjust to the game. Of course I’m hoping they adjust quickly and can be of impact, but with freshman you never know. I don’t think more experience and more talent are going to hurt anything.

Reaction Score
No, I did not agree with you, you must be a lawyer. You posted a completely different premise with your reply. An “investigation” to prove innocence against non-existing charges, which you originally called for, is far different than asking questions of employees in the normal course of business. Sorry, you are barking up the wrong tree if you think such a sophomoric trick is going to hold water with me.
You can deny it all you want, but you did agree with me. It's a matter of semantics whether you call them inquiries, an investigation or just asking questions. The end result is the same. That is to insure that everything is, as it should be, with their women's basketball program.

Reaction Score
An experienced 6’4 3 point shooting big sounds good to me, I wouldn’t be turning her down. and CD are freshman so who even knows how well the adjust to the game. Of course I’m hoping they adjust quickly and can be of impact, but with freshman you never know. I don’t think more experience and more talent are going to hurt anything.
that would make a team of 14 players? I'll leave it up to the boss to decide........he's the one that has to figure out how to play all those folks.........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
that would make a team of 14 players? I'll leave it up to the boss to decide........he's the one that has to figure out how to play all those folks.........
The projected roster already stands at 14 (13 scholarships). Another player would take UConn to 15 players.

Reaction Score
I really don't see the need for another big at this point unless she's a physical presence inside and I don't think this recruit fits that criteria..........with the additions of and CD I would think the need for additional three point shooting should be minimal
I can see both sides to this. But my take is right now we don’t have depth at the center position. Liv and AE are foul prone and we saw both can have a down game scoring wise. If there’s a skilled 6’4” big (two time all big 10 first team) why not kick the tires and see if there may be a fit. She seems very agile for her size and in the videos her layup and scoring around the rim is quite good. If she doesn’t work out then she doesn’t play. From my standpoint what do we have to lose. Against Arizon we desperately needed to have easier shots made and they weren’t by Liv and didn’t until the second half by AE. If we can get 8-10 points when Liv or AE sits that is vital and would’ve have been a game changer for us against a really tough defensive team like Arizona.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I have seen Juhasz play a lot at OSU and there is no doubt she could provide meaningful minutes. She can consistently knock down that fifteen footer that ONO hesitated to take. I remain in the really small minority though that think if she stays patient, Piath can help, maybe even next year.

Reaction Score
I have seen Juhasz play a lot at OSU and there is no doubt she could provide meaningful minutes. She can consistently knock down that fifteen footer that ONO hesitated to take. I remain in the really small minority though that think if she stays patient, Piath can help, maybe even next year.
I as well have hope for Plath. In her limited time she appears to have good feet, nice hands and works hard. I readily admit Geno has forgotten more than I’ll ever know, but I can’t believe he’d give up on Plath for a one-and-done player who fills the same roll as Fudd and Ducharme. I don’t even recall her from the few tOSU games I’ve seen, but she doesn’t seem to be a true post, which is what most boneyarders are clamoring for.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I as well have hope for Plath. In her limited time she appears to have good feet, nice hands and works hard. I readily admit Geno has forgotten more than I’ll ever know, but I can’t believe he’d give up on Plath for a one-and-done player who fills the same roll as Fudd and Ducharme. I don’t even recall her from the few tOSU games I’ve seen, but she doesn’t seem to be a true post, which is what most boneyarders are clamoring for.
Wherever Juhasz goes, she wouldn't be a one-and-done. She has two years of eligibility left. She said she intends on using both.

Reaction Score
I can see both sides to this. But my take is right now we don’t have depth at the center position. Liv and AE are foul prone and we saw both can have a down game scoring wise. If there’s a skilled 6’4” big (two time all big 10 first team) why not kick the tires and see if there may be a fit. She seems very agile for her size and in the videos her layup and scoring around the rim is quite good. If she doesn’t work out then she doesn’t play. From my standpoint what do we have to lose. Against Arizon we desperately needed to have easier shots made and they weren’t by Liv and didn’t until the second half by AE. If we can get 8-10 points when Liv or AE sits that is vital and would’ve have been a game changer for us against a really tough defensive team like Arizona.
That’s my concern as well. We really don’t have any depth behind our bigs. We need help and unless Amari can come and fill that role right away, I’ll have my worries. One more big body and I’ll feel a little bit better.

Reaction Score
You can deny it all you want, but you did agree with me. It's a matter of semantics whether you call them inquiries, an investigation or just asking questions. The end result is the same. That is to insure that everything is, as it should be, with their women's basketball program.
Unless a player comes out and shows digression or complaint with AD im not sure what investigation needs to be had at this point ? Sounds to me like players know they can leave and not miss a season so they're taking advantage. Reflection of the coach absolutely ! Investigation worthy ? Not at all ...Its just on the next one . Now we will see how good of a recruiter coach Q really is !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom