APR Status? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

APR Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If one-and-done doesn't affect APR, doesn't the same logic hold that it doesn't matter if something graduates in four years? Also, many many college students that don't have the obligations related to high D-1 basketball don't graduate in four years; why should the bar be higher for basketball players than the average student?
You're trying to use logic to analyze an NCAA rule.

Stop that.

Reaction Score
They should lose 1 of 4 points, there are 2 points per player per semester, so if they transfer with too low of a GPA we lose a spring semester retention point and each would count as a APR 750 for the year. Which is one of the reasons the APR standards suck if you don't count as 1000 you hurt your team because the highest you can be is below the threshold. Also the biggest reason the walk ons were given scholarships is to have extra 1000's in the average.

Yeah, I was counting the other 2 points already since they were decided before these transfer decisions came into play, but it's a good reminder that the first half of the year helped.

As long as he was in good academic standing at the end of this year, if he signs a pro contract it shouldn't matter that he didn't graduate. Since he doesn't have eligibility he is automatically eligible for the draft, though I suppose he could remove his name but that would mean nothing for the NCAA. If he doesn't sign a pro contract I believe he just had to make sufficient academic progress, probably just accumulate the minimum number of credits, I don't think graduation is a requirement.

At one point I think only NBA contracts counted as professional for APR, but euro leagues and some others are ok now. Which is why Wolfe didn't cost us. So Gavin could have fallen into that, or he could have blown off class. Back then you pretty much had to be a first round pick, or get a contract signed over the summer otherwise you'd miss the cut off and lose a point even if later you did play pro.

That's good to hear.

Reaction Score
Trying to understand all this APR stuff makes my head hurt....I feel like I'm back in Calc 112.
Where's my TI-83?

Reaction Score
the most important point is that if every player keeps a decent GPA and finishes every semester, then rarely will uconn lose a point. That is why UConn doesn't recruit a lot of players that it once did. Many of the top 25 players are more focused on the NBA than on classes. So unless you are kentucky that puts them in complete B.S. classes, then you have to avoid those players unless their high school academic record is very good.

Reaction Score
the most important point is that if every player keeps a decent GPA and finishes every semester, then rarely will uconn lose a point. That is why UConn doesn't recruit a lot of players that it once did. Many of the top 25 players are more focused on the NBA than on classes. So unless you are kentucky that puts them in complete B.S. classes, then you have to avoid those players unless their high school academic record is very good.

I knew there was a reason we were avoiding top 25 players. Thanks.

caw

Reaction Score
Starting with the assumption the other players on scholarship are coming back and are "on pace to graduate" then my understanding is as follows (haven't thought about APR in awhile):

Samuel and Lubin depend on two factors: 1) GPA and 2) where they transfer. If they transfer to another D1 program on scholarship with a high enough GPA UConn should be able to get a waiver to maintain a perfect score.

For Boatright, as long as he was on pace to graduate (I believe they assume in five years) and he has a high enough GPA then he should be fine regardless of if he actually graduates. So if a normal student needs 120 credits to graduate in four years, Boat would need to have 96, including on pace for all other requirements (major, general requirements, GPA, etc.)

One and dones are held to the same standard as Boatright, so they only need 24 credit hours and a high enough GPA plus normal freshmen standards. This is usually much more lenient than for upperclassmen. Transfers usually have a higher standard (GPA) than those leaving early for the NBA.

Either way, the past few years UCONN has had a very good score and it's a rolling score the school has to worry about. One bad year doesn't matter as long as the next few years are OK.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boatright not graduating will not hurt.

During the fall semester, we received two points for Boatright - one retention point and one point for his remaining eligible.

This semester, he's effectively going pro - the retention point is removed from the equation and if he's leaving in good standing, we get the point for eligibility.

In effect, instead of going 4/4 on the APR, Boat goes 3/3.

If he comes back and graduates, we get a bonus point that semester.

On the transfers, if they're leaving with a 2.6, we are not docked the retention point.

Reaction Score
Boatright not graduating will not hurt.

During the fall semester, we received two points for Boatright - one retention point and one point for his remaining eligible.

This semester, he's effectively going pro - the retention point is removed from the equation and if he's leaving in good standing, we get the point for eligibility.

In effect, instead of going 4/4 on the APR, Boat goes 3/3.

If he comes back and graduates, we get a bonus point that semester.

On the transfers, if they're leaving with a 2.6, we are not docked the retention point.

Thanks for the concise explanation. Sadly after reading all these posts and trying my best to understand something complex for the first time since I took quantum physics (in my dreams) my hair hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom