APR Status? | The Boneyard

APR Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Lubin and Samuel transferring, and this quote from the Courant this morning...
"Boatright, who returned to UConn as a senior and played four seasons, did not graduate with his class this weekend. He needs a few more credits."

How will all of this affect our APR?

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
With Lubin and Samuels transferring, and this quote from the Courant this morning...
"Boatright, who returned to UConn as a senior and played four seasons, did not graduate with his class this weekend. He needs a few more credits."

If I recall correctly, Samuel is a fairly good student. I believe he had 3.0 or higher second semester of last year.

Reaction Score
My guess is that each of the transferring students would lose us 1 of their 2 possible points, by transferring. Any additional points would be based on their academic eligibility.

With Boatright, I'm not sure when he has to graduate by to not lose us anything.

Reaction Score
Boatright being a few credits shy of graduating doesn't necessarily mean we would lose an APR point for him. Gradutating and "being in good standing" are two different things. With Lubin and Samuel, it all depends on their GPA. Either way, we have some cushion based on the last couple years of perfect scores.

But the bottom line is that the chances of Ollie/Manuel/Herbst letting the APR fall below the threshold again are exactly 0.0%. It's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, because Boatright has no eligibility left, I believe he does have a cutoff for when his points are counted. If he doesn't graduate by then, he won't have earned his full points.

Reaction Score
I believe if a transfers finishes the semester and has a 2.4 or above, there are no APR deductions.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, because Boatright has no eligibility left, I believe he does have a cutoff for when his points are counted. If he doesn't graduate by then, he won't have earned his full points.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Gavin Edwards contributed to the poor APR scores by not graduating in before going to play international ball.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it matters as long as Boat's gpa never slipped below being academically eligible . The retention point doesn't exist since he has used all his eligibility and there is no point for graduating.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it matters as long as Boat's gpa never slipped below being academically eligible . The retention point doesn't exist since he has used all his eligibility and there is no point for graduating.

The retention point is for returning if you have eligibility left OR graduating.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't think graduation is factored into APR at all. Just retention points and good academic standing.

Reaction Score
Leebo said:
The retention point is for returning if you have eligibility left OR graduating.

Can you explain that more? Does the retention point essentially become a graduation point for seniors?

Reaction Score
I'm just going by what I've read. Here's an example where it says graduating is another part of retention.

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/4/24/2971329/what-uconns-apr-score-actually-measures

Someone can correct me if there's an exception for seniors.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Gavin Edwards contributed to the poor APR scores by not graduating in before going to play international ball.

Yeah, I remember hearing that too. And it's mentioned as a possibility in the article I linked, but I don't think they ever publish the point scores for individual athletes.

Reaction Score
The 826 score in 2009-2010 was due to two players leaving with poor academics, Darius Smith and Mandelove. They were both 0-2 in the APR calculations.

Reaction Score
The fact that transferring while in good standing hurts the school you're leaving is idiotic, but I think the academic standing portion and potentially graduation for seniors are the kinds of things that people do generally think should be monitored.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With Lubin and Samuel transferring, and this quote from the Courant this morning...

I recall reading somewhere that a player has 6 years to obtain his degree to count for Graduation Success Rate. If I understand it correctly (not saying I do), All three have to be in Good Standing. As it was stated above, Good Standing and graduation are two different things. If Boatright succeeds as a professional basketball player (unclear if this means only NBA, drafted, or for how long), his graduation does not matter.

Adjustments
The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date.

Reaction Score
Okay, so we may get a score reduction in the short term... but up to 6 years later, after a penalty might already be in affect, they could improve that old score?

Reaction Score
Okay, so we may get a score reduction in the short term... but up to 6 years later, after a penalty might already be in affect, they could improve that old score?

No. The 6 year window is for the graduation rate, which has nothing to do with APR.

Reaction Score
17 posts in and I feel I know less about our situation than when this started, god the APR is stupid.

So if Boat is in good standing but did not graduate there is no APR reduction?

Gavin just left and did not go to class so he was in poor academic standing which is why he hurt our APR, correct?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was in response to me but to clarify, Boatright has 6 years in which to obtain the requisite credits. If by "few" they mean he has 6 credits left, he's already earned 114 credits in the first 4 years of the timeframe. He has 2 more years to gain those final credits.

Reaction Score
No. The 6 year window is for the graduation rate, which has nothing to do with APR.

Not according to the thing Husky25 posted

EDIT: never mind, yeah, the APR thing doesn't give a timeline.

I don't know if this was in response to me but to clarify, Boatright has 6 years in which to obtain the requisite credits. If by "few" they mean he has 6 credits left, he's already earned 114 credits in the first 4 years of the timeframe. He has 2 more years to gain those final credits.

Ah, okay.

Reaction Score
Is the Boatright question moot if he goes to the draft, regardless of whether he's drafted?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If one-and-done doesn't affect APR, doesn't the same logic hold that it doesn't matter if someone graduates in four years? Also, many many college students that don't have the obligations related to high D-1 basketball don't graduate in four years; why should the bar be higher for basketball players than the average student?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is that each of the transferring students would lose us 1 of their 2 possible points, by transferring. Any additional points would be based on their academic eligibility.

They should lose 1 of 4 points, there are 2 points per player per semester, so if they transfer with too low of a GPA we lose a spring semester retention point and each would count as a APR 750 for the year. Which is one of the reasons the APR standards suck if you don't count as 1000 you hurt your team because the highest you can be is below the threshold. Also the biggest reason the walk ons were given scholarships is to have extra 1000's in the average.

Is the Boatright question moot if he goes to the draft, regardless of whether he's drafted?

17 posts in and I feel I know less about our situation than when this started, god the APR is stupid.

So if Boat is in good standing but did not graduate there is no APR reduction?

Gavin just left and did not go to class so he was in poor academic standing which is why he hurt our APR, correct?

As long as he was in good academic standing at the end of this year, if he signs a pro contract it shouldn't matter that he didn't graduate. Since he doesn't have eligibility he is automatically eligible for the draft, though I suppose he could remove his name but that would mean nothing for the NCAA. If he doesn't sign a pro contract I believe he just had to make sufficient academic progress, probably just accumulate the minimum number of credits, I don't think graduation is a requirement.

At one point I think only NBA contracts counted as professional for APR, but euro leagues and some others are ok now. Which is why Wolfe didn't cost us. So Gavin could have fallen into that, or he could have blown off class. Back then you pretty much had to be a first round pick, or get a contract signed over the summer otherwise you'd miss the cut off and lose a point even if later you did play pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom