Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy...

Reaction Score
Did not mean to trivialize religion in Jordan's life, but fully meant to trivialize it as "the major factor" in her decision to choose TN. Clearly this is a family that prays and seeks divine guidance in their lives, Christyn Williams' family is similar. I'll say it " I'm not in a position to say why she chose TN" but....Dawn Staley is one of the most "religious" coaches out there and I can't believe the folks in Knoxville are any more religious than the folks in Columbia. I have been to both places. Jordan found a connection to TN, that connection might be a religious one but let's not pretend that she going down there to enroll in divinity school. The decision is still primarily about basketball at least for the next 4 years.
I'm also not in a position to say why she chose TN. However, my impression (which could just be my own projection) is that she experienced it as a place where coaches and future teammates get who she is, and she wouldn't have to circumscribe important parts of herself. Think Gabby Williams, for whom UConn was a special blessing because she could be her nerdy, hip, playful, serious, old soul, hip hop, baller, girly girl, self-confident, insecure, politically woke self all at the same time and be accepted. And then there is Brittany Griner who achieved great basketball success at Baylor but had to rein in so much of herself. Basketball isn't everything, even for elite players, and sometimes these teenagers are wiser than us old coots.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
call it astute recruiting, call it luck.....what ever UConn has done these many years has been extraordinary but that doesn't mean all is great moving forward....the two freshman should make excellent contributions to the team and better sooner then later.....if UConn strikes out on their final two recruits it will leave next year's team in a somewhat weakened state with a dire need to recruit players at almost every position in 2020....perhaps not the position which Geno had envisioned when he limited his 2019 targets....
Do we really think that the recruiting landscape suddenly changed in 2018?!! Just a refresher on the previous 4 classes 2015 class #1, 6, 23; 2016 class #3 and 2 more; 2017 class #1,13, 16, 29; 2018 class #1 and 5. Has any other school gotten 3 number one recruits in four years let alone the previous four years (not possible! :cool:) And there are also another 3 top ten recruits and 3 more top 25.

Just wondering if everyone posting gloomy thoughts really thinks that Uconn deserves two or three top ten recruits every year? No allowance for a 'down year' every five years?

Reaction Score
It seems that especially with Uconn, but also with pretty much every other school's fans, the question after a highly sought after recruit chooses a different school is, 'What went wrong!' (with great angst.) Most of the time the correct question is, 'What went right at that other school.' because these choices are actually 'positive' in the recruit's thinking. It isn't a rejection of the 2-5 other schools, it is an acceptance of the chosen one.

I also think as a fan base we have been incredibly spoiled - the BS/MJ/MT era with 4 straight NCs is fantasy land - never happened before and likely will never happen again. and the current string of 11 straight FFs is also fantasy land - the previous record was shared with Stanford and LSU ND at 5 (TN has done 4 straight twice.) We had the Tassk force recruiting on top of Sveta and Shea and followed by DT and only won 2 NCs, We had Maya and Tina and only won 2. And we have had plenty of 'undistinguished' recruiting classes since 1999 and won 9 titles - it happens periodically. Sometimes the players in a senior class that Geno wants to work with don't choose Uconn for any number of reasons. And hard work is not on their radar - you do not get to be a player recruited by Uconn by shying away from hard work.
Very good points. All are reasons why I have to laugh when I hear someone say that UConn "whiffed" or "lost" or "failed" when recruiting kids. When a school is as successful as UConn at recruiting over the last 20 years they don't "whiff" on kids. I'm sure they apply every current technique possible short of following MBB and just paying $$ to get them.

Reaction Score
Do we really think that the recruiting landscape suddenly changed in 2018?!! Just a refresher on the previous 4 classes 2015 class #1, 6, 23; 2016 class #3 and 2 more; 2017 class #1,13, 16, 29; 2018 class #1 and 5. Has any other school gotten 3 number one recruits in four years let alone the previous four years (not possible! :cool:) And there are also another 3 top ten recruits and 3 more top 25.

Just wondering if everyone posting gloomy thoughts really thinks that Uconn deserves two or three top ten recruits every year? No allowance for a 'down year' every five years?

No I don't expect a number one player or two top five players every year but I hope for two players every year that can be significant contributors by their sophomore year........... regardless of the team's past success rate, facts are facts and if Griffin is the only '19 recruit UConn will have a painfully thin team next year................2016 brought Crystal as the only starter and as of now it appears that Walker will be the only starting player from the 2017 class.......... that's just two starters or top bench players out of seven recruits............2018 was a small but highly ranked class and 2019................well let's wait and hope for the best

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm also not in a position to say why she chose TN. However, my impression (which could just be my own projection) is that she experienced it as a place where coaches and future teammates get who she is, and she wouldn't have to circumscribe important parts of herself. Think Gabby Williams, for whom UConn was a special blessing because she could be her nerdy, hip, playful, serious, old soul, hip hop, baller, girly girl, self-confident, insecure, politically woke self all at the same time and be accepted. And then there is Brittany Griner who achieved great basketball success at Baylor but had to rein in so much of herself. Basketball isn't everything, even for elite players, and sometimes these teenagers are wiser than us old coots.
I have no disagreement with your impression. I think what you are saying is very similar to what I said before: Jordan made a connection with someone and something at TN. That connection could very well be religious, or personal comfort or based on them just simply "getting" her better than any other school. Where we differ is the weight placed on that connection. IMO the connection eventually must come back to basketball, therefore not more important than basketball. Don't forget that Jordan is from Columbus, OH. What would have been more personally comfortable than staying home with her family and friends and riding her bike to practices and classes.

Reaction Score
I have no disagreement with your impression. I think what you are saying is very similar to what I said before: Jordan made a connection with someone and something at TN. That connection could very well be religious, or personal comfort or based on them just simply "getting" her better than any other school. Where we differ is the weight placed on that connection. IMO the connection eventually must come back to basketball, therefore not more important than basketball. Don't forget that Jordan is from Columbus, OH. What would have been more personally comfortable than staying home with her family and friends and riding her bike to practices and classes.

who's the more inferior coach Holly W or Kevin M?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Holly. Don't recall many (if any) losses by Kevin to unranked teams. With Holly this happens multiple times per year.
tOSU got thumped at home by Central Michigan in the 2nd round of the Big Dance last year. Central MI had a nice team, but the 17 pt loss by the Buckeyes was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. At some point in the 2nd half, tOSU just gave up. By comparison, TN's loss to Oregon St in Knoxville in the 2nd round was at least competitive down to the wire.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
tOSU got thumped at home by Central Michigan in the 2nd round of the Big Dance last year. Central MI had a nice team, but the 17 pt loss by the Buckeyes was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. At some point in the 2nd half, tOSU just gave up. By comparison, TN's loss to Oregon St in Knoxville in the 2nd round was at least competitive down to the wire.
Central Michigan was at least a tournament team and Kelsey Mitchell probably wanted to get an early start on her pro career and her father an advance start on finding a new gig. Alabama WBB now officially OWNS TN WBB. Against Alabama Holly has waived multiple white flags recently.
Lady Vols fall to Alabama for first time since 1984

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Central Michigan was at least a tournament team and Kelsey Mitchell probably wanted to get an early start on her pro career and her father an advance start on finding a new gig. Alabama WBB now officially OWNS TN WBB. Against Alabama Holly has waived multiple white flags recently.
Lady Vols fall to Alabama for first time since 1984
I don’t know if you watched the game, but Mitchell was one of the very few Buckeyes that actually played hard the whole game, while most of her teammates threw in the towel midway through the 2nd half. I got the distinct feeling that the team was finally rebelling in mass to the entire situation that gave Mitchell’s dad a paycheck and a seat on the bench, with Mitchell having a green light to shoot whenever she wanted. That whole mess was on McGuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom