Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy...

Reaction Score
For comparison purposes, it’s worthwhile to contrast UConn’s recruiting philosophy with TN, where Horston decided to go. TN consistently secures large, talented recruiting classes.

One of the comments you consistently hear from TN recruits is how much they like HW and that TN is a family environment. Frankly, setting aside her coaching ability, HW appears to be a nice lady who genuinely cares about her players. While player development and championships may take a backseat at TN, outside of an occasional locker room brawl and the inevitable transfers of players who can’t secure PT, most Lady Vol players seem to enjoy their time in Knoxville.

More to the point, in the years as Pat’s top assistant, HW was the good cop to Pat’s bad cop. When Pat pushed the players hard, HW was there to be their friend. I think that remains true today.

So if you’re a talented HS WBB player, you have to ask yourself one fundamental question. Do I want to work incredibly hard to become the best basketball I can possibly be with the opportunity to win championships or do I want to go somewhere where my current ability is sufficient to get me on the court and I can have fun playing basketball?

I was very surprised at Horston’s decision yesterday. Her earlier comments indicated a desire to work hard to develop as a player, and her progress over the past year or so has been exceptional. Based on that I thought her decision would come down to UConn or SC.

Really thoughtful posting!
I have no doubt the "practicing, maybe PT, harder work than you've ever have done, and other factors are definitely being told to potential recruits about Uconn as potential recruits pass through other schools.
Nealy all kids think they are working hard until they arrive in Geno's den. The most truthful and proper statement ever evolved : Uconn isn't for everyone.
We are spoiled fan, me included, because Geno and company (not we, I didn't play) has won umpteen Final Fours, 7/8 National Championships, a coach with a rediculus winning record and when they come close to another NC and don't win, miss one FF, we become chicken little's ; the sky isn't falling and the recruiting isn't awful. Yes there are some recruits I want Uconn to get but if they don't---I quickly forget their names and go to the next complaint.
Boston is so close to home I like her possibilities. Whether she starts this year, next or the next is up to the Boss. However, should she see good PT I think her size and the way she has played could be of help to ONO and Geno.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really thoughtful posting!
I have no doubt the "practicing, maybe PT, harder work than you've ever have done, and other factors are definitely being told to potential recruits about Uconn as potential recruits pass through other schools.
Nealy all kids think they are working hard until they arrive in Geno's den. The most truthful and proper statement ever evolved : Uconn isn't for everyone.
We are spoiled fan, me included, because Geno and company (not we, I didn't play) has won umpteen Final Fours, 7/8 National Championships, a coach with a rediculus winning record and when they come close to another NC and don't win, miss one FF, we become chicken little's ; the sky isn't falling and the recruiting isn't awful. Yes there are some recruits I want Uconn to get but if they don't---I quickly forget their names and go to the next complaint.
Boston is so close to home I like her possibilities. Whether she starts this year, next or the next is up to the Boss. However, should she see good PT I think her size and the way she has played could be of help to ONO and Geno.
Who are you talking about????

UCONN has won 11 NC's. Haven't missed a FF in 11 years.

:confused:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I understand that most of the 'not interested' players it comes down to two issues, wanting to play closer to home and preferring playing time as a freshman

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I understand that most of the 'not interested' players it comes down to two issues, wanting to play closer to home and preferring playing time as a freshman

Diamond Miller, the 2019 wing from New Jersey who played on the u17 National Team in Argentina, cited proximity to home/campus as one of the factors in choosing Maryland. (Dad and Mom could I-95 it to home games.. God bless 'em ;), but at least the construction between exits 6 and 8A is complete.).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Neither am I and I'm one of the guys with the ND logo posting here. ;)

So, lots of questions. However, MM -- like Geno and Tara at Stanford -- always seem to find the right kind of players to keep on keeping on. And then some.

It would help UConn to round out this '19 class with another commit (and from the not-so-outside looking in, I think Ms. Boston is optimal), but in any case, you'll be fine.
Glad you included her. I don't know anyone who has done more with not as much as she has in recent years. And going back 10-12 years, her teams have been in the Final Four a lot.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Glad you included her. I don't know anyone who has done more with not as much as she has in recent years. And going back 10-12 years, her teams have been in the Final Four a lot.

She manages to get an interesting mix of players. While many play specific roles on the team, there are always some players to are sneaky good, until one looks at the scoreboard and see your team has been transparently thumped.

This team could sneak up on people. I think it will take some time to replace the very goodness that was Brittany McPhee. But they've got virtually every other contributor back, from Aussie forward Alanna Smith and guard Kianna Williams to guard Marta Sniezek and forward Maya Dodson. And they're being joined by McDonald's All-American point guard Jenna Brown and the Hull sisters. I'm sure Tara will get them functioning very well as a unit just in time for the NCAA's....she always does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She manages to get an interesting mix of players. While many play specific roles on the team, there are always some players to are sneaky good, until one looks at the scoreboard and see your team has been transparently thumped.

This team could sneak up on people. I think it will take some time to replace the very goodness that was Brittany McPhee. But they've got virtually every other contributor back, from Aussie forward Alanna Smith and guard Kianna Williams to guard Marta Sniezek and forward Maya Dodson. And they're being joined by McDonald's All-American point guard Jenna Brown and the Hull sisters. I'm sure Tara will get them functioning very well as a unit just in time for the NCAA's....she always does.

I love Jenna Brown's game.........I'm not sure if she ever had interest in UConn but Geno could have done far worse then to recruit this very smart and talented player.........

Reaction Score

Yes, that, and, some want a Duke or Stanford education.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

How's that Wilson kid doing? (the quarterback's sister)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She's been struggling with injuries for the last two NCAA tournaments. Really a shame she was US caliber player that was expected to have more of an impact.
Stanford's hard-luck Anna Wilson watches Big Dance (again) from the bench

Yup, the lack of reps, court time can hinder one's progress. I don't know how that hardship waiver went, but I see her listed as a junior in the current roster posted on the Stanford site. Here are some stats from her sophomore year.

• Appeared in 21 games and made two starts
  • Averaged 3.3 points and 1.1 rebounds in 10.7 minutes per game
  • Shot 29.6 percent from the field (24-of-81) and 29.0 percent from behind the arc (20-of-69)
  • Came off the bench against Ohio State in Las Vegas (11/25) and poured in 21 points in 19 minutes, making 7-of-8 from behind the arc
  • Became the 10th Stanford player to make seven 3-pointers in a game and the first since Bonnie Samuelson dropped in eight against UCLA on Feb. 15, 2015
With Kianna Williams and Marta Sniezek both coming back and Jenna Brown arriving on the scene, court time is going to be at a premium. Hope she's been able to recuperate and practice to compete.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
While opinions vary, I wonder how many of the "UConn not interested" players get to this category not because Geno doesn't want them but because they (for whatever reason) do not want UConn. Many if not most of the players on this yearly list go on to have good careers and are solid citizens. No negative on UConn or Geno, just a realistic view of the recruiting world. Whenever I look at the many banners, I'm thankful for the women that have come to Storrs.
As demonstrated by Horston, who listed among her reasons for choosing Tennessee that the team prayed before eating dinner, it's often difficult to assign motives to a recruit's college of choice. Sometimes faith, a belief without evidence, or some unknown and unspoken intrinsic feeling, overwhelms what seems like the more logical and prudent alternative.
While I find the recruiting process endlessly interesting, it's also mystifying to me.

Reaction Score
As demonstrated by Horston, who listed among her reasons for choosing Tennessee that the team prayed before eating dinner, it's often difficult to assign motives to a recruit's college of choice. Sometimes faith, a belief without evidence, or some unknown and unspoken intrinsic feeling, overwhelms what seems like the more logical and prudent alternative.
While I find the recruiting process endlessly interesting, it's also mystifying to me.

I've often thought that certain programs have a real advantage especially with religious players not limited to but especially from the South East and South West where their faith seems to hold more sway............I see a lot of biblical references on player's twitter pages and it makes sense that they might be most comfortable with like minded teammates........a school like Baylor would be a good example............I would assume state school's have to be more careful regarding prayers but I assume it's allowed if the players themselves want to do it........

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I've often thought that certain programs have a real advantage especially with religious players not limited to but especially from the South East and South West where their faith seems to hold more sway..I see a lot of biblical references on player's twitter pages and it makes sense that they might be most comfortable with like minded teammates...a school like Baylor would be a good example..I would assume state school's have to be more careful regarding prayers but I assume it's allowed if the players themselves want to do it...
What an interesting observation. It seems then, in addition to prospects outlining their desire to win a national championship for an acclaimed program and coach, represent their country in international games, and maximize their talent to an extent that it results in a professional basketball career, we also need to pay attention to a player's social and cultural references as a potential harbinger of choice, as well.
This revelation--I'm too craven to have considered faith as a factor in choosing a college--is intriguing and makes me even more interested and, perhaps, a smidge less mystified.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While opinions vary, I wonder how many of the "UConn not interested" players get to this category not because Geno doesn't want them but because they (for whatever reason) do not want UConn. Many if not most of the players on this yearly list go on to have good careers and are solid citizens. No negative on UConn or Geno, just a realistic view of the recruiting world. Whenever I look at the many banners, I'm thankful for the women that have come to Storrs.

Me thinks you protest too much your undying fealty to the UConn Husky Banner.

Reaction Score
What an interesting observation. It seems then, in addition to prospects outlining their desire to win a national championship for an acclaimed program and coach, represent their country in international games, and maximize their talent to an extent that it results in a professional basketball career, we also need to pay attention to a player's social and cultural references as a potential harbinger of choice, as well.
This revelation--I'm too craven to have considered faith as a factor in choosing a college--is intriguing and makes me even more interested and, perhaps, a smidge less mystified.

I would say a minimum of 20%-30% of the top recruits make frequent religious references on their social media................I would have to assume that if religion is such an important part of their lives, it must play some part in their college choice whether that means preferring a school with a religious presence or a school who's other players share a similar background.......

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I would say a minimum of 20%-30% of the top recruits make frequent religious references on their social media......I would have to assume that if religion is such an important part of their lives, it must play some part in their college choice whether that means preferring a school with a religious presence or a school who's other players share a similar background..
I wonder what role, if any, a coach is permitted to play in that...or is anything but the vaguest, non-denominational reference to religion prohibited by the NCAA? This seems like an area ripe for abuse and manipulation.

Reaction Score
I wonder what role, if any, a coach is permitted to play in that...or is anything but the vaguest, non-denominational reference to religion prohibited by the NCAA? This seems like an area ripe for abuse and manipulation.

I assume there must be NCAA rules regarding this...........certainly some coaches are known to mix a bit of old time religion in with their banter from time to time which may attract some recruits............perhaps private religious schools have more leeway?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I assume there must be NCAA rules regarding this......certainly some coaches are known to mix a bit of old time religion in with their banter from time to time which may attract some recruits..perhaps private religious schools have more leeway?
This is really not an NCAA issue per say. The issues derives from acceptance of federal funds and simply applied says that you cannot make participation in a faith based event mandatory and accept federal funds. The institution can refuse federal funds to avoid this condition but at most D1 institutions that would be very counter productive. Many smaller privately funded Christian colleges have made this decision to forgo federal funds in order to maintain religion as a mandatory part of the curriculum. Alabama football and Duke football have chapel before every game but chapel is optional.
The services academies used to have mandatory Chapel for all Cadets and Midshipmen up until the early or mid-70's Maya used to attend Chapel before every game, I think she still does. But Geno couldn't take the whole team to chapel without giving them the option to opt out.
Still think this religious angle in Horston's recruitment is overblow & much to do about nothing. My mother-in-law is from South Carolina. She prayed every time before she ate or drank something. Most of the time I joined her and my kids learned to do the same but only when Grandma was around. Some TN players (maybe coaches) decided to pray for some reason, Jordan was used to praying at home so she joined in-no biggie.
I'm pretty sure Kathy says some kind of grace before the feast at the Auriemma house which is always part of every recruit visit. If Kathy forgot Nona would have reminded her.

Reaction Score
This is really not an NCAA issue per say. The issues derives from acceptance of federal funds and simply applied says that you cannot make participation in a faith based event mandatory and accept federal funds. The institution can refuse federal funds to avoid this condition but at most D1 institutions that would be very counter productive. Many smaller privately funded Christian colleges have made this decision to forgo federal funds in order to maintain religion as a mandatory part of the curriculum. Alabama football and Duke football have chapel before every game but chapel is optional.
The services academies used to have mandatory Chapel for all Cadets and Midshipmen up until the early or mid-70's Maya used to attend Chapel before every game, I think she still does. But Geno couldn't take the whole team to chapel without giving them the option to opt out.
Still think this religious angle in Horston's recruitment is overblow & much to do about nothing. My mother-in-law is from South Carolina. She prayed every time before she ate or drank something. Most of the time I joined her and my kids learned to do the same but only when Grandma was around. Some TN players (maybe coaches) decided to pray for some reason, Jordan was used to praying at home so she joined in-no biggie.
I'm pretty sure Kathy says some kind of grace before the feast at the Auriemma house which is always part of every recruit visit. If Kathy forgot Nona would have reminded her.
I think you are trivializing the role of religion in Horston's life as reflected in her social media postings. She doesn't just pray before meals or games, which can be an empty gesture based on custom and upbringing. She is dedicated to "putting God first" and seeking divine guidance for important life decisions. To suggest that she would place winning a national championship or maximizing her readiness for the WNBA first in her decision tree is to misapprehend who and whose she is. Or to put it more simply, she appears to be at least as serious about her religion (if not moreso) as she is about basketball or her career. That may be incomprehensible to many on this board, which does not trouble me, but if the question is "What makes Jordan Horston tick", rather than project our own world views onto her, perhaps the best answer is "I'm not in a position to say."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It seems that especially with Uconn, but also with pretty much every other school's fans, the question after a highly sought after recruit chooses a different school is, 'What went wrong!' (with great angst.) Most of the time the correct question is, 'What went right at that other school.' because these choices are actually 'positive' in the recruit's thinking. It isn't a rejection of the 2-5 other schools, it is an acceptance of the chosen one.

I also think as a fan base we have been incredibly spoiled - the BS/MJ/MT era with 4 straight NCs is fantasy land - never happened before and likely will never happen again. and the current string of 11 straight FFs is also fantasy land - the previous record was shared with Stanford and LSU ND at 5 (TN has done 4 straight twice.) We had the Tassk force recruiting on top of Sveta and Shea and followed by DT and only won 2 NCs, We had Maya and Tina and only won 2. And we have had plenty of 'undistinguished' recruiting classes since 1999 and won 9 titles - it happens periodically. Sometimes the players in a senior class that Geno wants to work with don't choose Uconn for any number of reasons. And hard work is not on their radar - you do not get to be a player recruited by Uconn by shying away from hard work.

Reaction Score
It seems that especially with Uconn, but also with pretty much every other school's fans, the question after a highly sought after recruit chooses a different school is, 'What went wrong!' (with great angst.) Most of the time the correct question is, 'What went right at that other school.' because these choices are actually 'positive' in the recruit's thinking. It isn't a rejection of the 2-5 other schools, it is an acceptance of the chosen one.

I also think as a fan base we have been incredibly spoiled - the BS/MJ/MT era with 4 straight NCs is fantasy land - never happened before and likely will never happen again. and the current string of 11 straight FFs is also fantasy land - the previous record was shared with Stanford and LSU ND at 5 (TN has done 4 straight twice.) We had the Tassk force recruiting on top of Sveta and Shea and followed by DT and only won 2 NCs, We had Maya and Tina and only won 2. And we have had plenty of 'undistinguished' recruiting classes since 1999 and won 9 titles - it happens periodically. Sometimes the players in a senior class that Geno wants to work with don't choose Uconn for any number of reasons. And hard work is not on their radar - you do not get to be a player recruited by Uconn by shying away from hard work.

call it astute recruiting, call it luck..........what ever UConn has done these many years has been extraordinary but that doesn't mean all is great moving forward...................the two freshman should make excellent contributions to the team and better sooner then later...............if UConn strikes out on their final two recruits it will leave next year's team in a somewhat weakened state with a dire need to recruit players at almost every position in 2020..............perhaps not the position which Geno had envisioned when he limited his 2019 targets.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you are trivializing the role of religion in Horston's life as reflected in her social media postings. She doesn't just pray before meals or games, which can be an empty gesture based on custom and upbringing. She is dedicated to "putting God first" and seeking divine guidance for important life decisions. To suggest that she would place winning a national championship or maximizing her readiness for the WNBA first in her decision tree is to misapprehend who and whose she is. Or to put it more simply, she appears to be at least as serious about her religion (if not moreso) as she is about basketball or her career. That may be incomprehensible to many on this board, which does not trouble me, but if the question is "What makes Jordan Horston tick", rather than project our own world views onto her, perhaps the best answer is "I'm not in a position to say."
Did not mean to trivialize religion in Jordan's life, but fully meant to trivialize it as "the major factor" in her decision to choose TN. Clearly this is a family that prays and seeks divine guidance in their lives, Christyn Williams' family is similar. I'll say it " I'm not in a position to say why she chose TN" but....Dawn Staley is one of the most "religious" coaches out there and I can't believe the folks in Knoxville are any more religious than the folks in Columbia. I have been to both places. Jordan found a connection to TN, that connection might be a religious one but let's not pretend that she going down there to enroll in divinity school. The decision is still primarily about basketball at least for the next 4 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jordan found a connection to TN, that connection might be a religious one but let's not pretend that she going down there to enroll in divinity school.
As the great PeachBaskets once said (posted)

When I hear “Tennessee” and “revival” in the same sentence, the only things that come to mind are snakes and tambourines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom