Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy... | The Boneyard

Applying Geno's recruiting philosophy...

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Started a new thread because it really isn't about Horston. BY followers know that Geno has been more than willing to share his recruiting philosophy.

1. He does not like taking one person in a class. Don't know who else comes but Griffin won't be the only one.
2. Three players is about the max. Of course, he would have taken all four this year but he does not prefer that big a class. He talked about it again after the AEH departure.
3. It is just over a month away from signing day, yet no new names have appeared on UCONN radar. They must not, at least by their lack of action, be in panic mode.
4. Griffin and one of the other two would be a decent class.
5. Freshmen earning their minutes in the UCONN system, I bet, is being used against them in recruiting battles. Do you think Horston is going to wait her turn at UT? Nope. Would she have had to at UCONN? Maybe.
6. We have no idea how the visit with Horston went. Maybe it was not a fit. Maybe the parents were too demanding. Maybe the players spoke up. We don't know. Just like we don't know what happened with Brunelle.
7. I am disappointed in today's events but the story has not been completely told yet. I am not ready for the doom and gloom of some.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
8. UCONN has evaluated many good players in the 2019 class and decided not to pursue (Brunelle, R. Jackson, Cooke, Osborne, A. Jackson, Peoples, Pusuis, Correa) just to name a few. Why would UCONN say no to so many good players? a) UCONN is fairly confident in other players b) UCONN did not believe these player could make a contribution. I think a is the right answer because that is an awful lot of talent in that list.

Great Post BTW!

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
9. After Griffin, the remaining targets are ranked 1,2,3 on some lists. Is it realistic to think that any school would get all three? Most schools would be elated to get one.
10. Maybe I am naive, but I find it hard to believe that a staff with the recruiting history UCONN has, suddenly, in one year lost their touch. Just like I don't believe that a team that went 72-2 the last two years but did not win a NC is somehow in decline.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For comparison purposes, it’s worthwhile to contrast UConn’s recruiting philosophy with TN, where Horston decided to go. TN consistently secures large, talented recruiting classes.

One of the comments you consistently hear from TN recruits is how much they like HW and that TN is a family environment. Frankly, setting aside her coaching ability, HW appears to be a nice lady who genuinely cares about her players. While player development and championships may take a backseat at TN, outside of an occasional locker room brawl and the inevitable transfers of players who can’t secure PT, most Lady Vol players seem to enjoy their time in Knoxville.

More to the point, in the years as Pat’s top assistant, HW was the good cop to Pat’s bad cop. When Pat pushed the players hard, HW was there to be their friend. I think that remains true today.

So if you’re a talented HS WBB player, you have to ask yourself one fundamental question. Do I want to work incredibly hard to become the best basketball I can possibly be with the opportunity to win championships or do I want to go somewhere where my current ability is sufficient to get me on the court and I can have fun playing basketball?

I was very surprised at Horston’s decision yesterday. Her earlier comments indicated a desire to work hard to develop as a player, and her progress over the past year or so has been exceptional. Based on that I thought her decision would come down to UConn or SC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
10. Maybe I am naive, but I find it hard to believe that a staff with the recruiting history UCONN has, suddenly, in one year lost their touch. Just like I don't believe that a team that went 72-2 the last two years but did not win a NC is somehow in decline.
You are definitely not naïve. Recruiting is about building relationships and that takes time. Don't forget that Marissa Mosely had 9 years of working on recruiting with Geno and staff and Jasmine was hired to replace her literally a few days before one of the biggest recruiting events of the season-Boo Williams. Jasmine is closer in age to these recruits, so give her a little time to start sparking and building those relationships.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Let's revisit Megan Walker. Most hope and expect her to blow up this year and eventually have the career that a former number one ranked player would normally have. But the path she took to reach her goals was filled with roadblocks-many created by Geno.

In the modern environment, many high ranked recruits would have left after the season Walker had. I don't know if she will be successful or not but I respect that she stayed.

My bet is that some of UCONN's recruiting adversaries used the Walker case (and the inherent lack of all the facts) as an example of how poorly incoming freshmen are treated. Unfair and untrue but certainly a negative when you set the bar as high as UCONN does.

Reaction Score
8. UCONN has evaluated many good players in the 2019 class and decided not to pursue (Brunelle, R. Jackson, Cooke, Osborne, A. Jackson, Peoples, Pusuis, Correa) just to name a few. Why would UCONN say no to so many good players? a) UCONN is fairly confident in other players b) UCONN did not believe these player could make a contribution. I think a is the right answer because that is an awful lot of talent in that list.

Great Post BTW!
There you go! You just had to bring up Puisis again didn't you?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I recall the climate during the "lean years" from 2005 - 2007. Some folks just knew, JUST KNEW I tell ya', that both Auriemma and the program had passed their prime. Talk about doom and gloom! I was mainly in lurker mode during that "era." Things go in cycles. At some point the "doom and gloomers" will be correct, not because of the evidence, that's not really why they are "doom and gloomers" after all, but because at some point all things must pass.

Reaction Score
You are definitely not naïve. Recruiting is about building relationships and that takes time. Don't forget that Marissa Mosely had 9 years of working on recruiting with Geno and staff and Jasmine was hired to replace her literally a few days before one of the biggest recruiting events of the season-Boo Williams. Jasmine is closer in age to these recruits, so give her a little time to start sparking and building those relationships.
You bring up a good point. Most coach's recruiting success is in part a reflection of their assistants. Too early to rate this year's class, but Mosely's leaving and Shea's leave could have some effect, positive or negative. I purposely used the word "have," not "had" since I still forecast a good end result.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mostly fair points all around. I'll simply pick up where you left off and ask you this question. If UCONN were to have "only 6 highly recruited players" competing for a championship next year what team would have more?

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mostly fair points all around. I'll simply pick up where you left off and ask you this question. If UCONN were to have "only 6 highly recruited players" competing for a championship next year what team would have more?

Baylor and Tennessee would probably be the only matches to that question. Louisville and Notre Dame in the picture.

Reaction Score

Great Post BTW!

you left out c)...........there are actually a few talented players that simply don't want to play for UConn

Reaction Score
I am not convinced that Notre Dame is building a dynasty just yet. They have the roster to win it all this year, but they will lose a lot to graduation after this season. They have good recruits on paper, but just as UConn has to hope that the recruits they have live up to their potential, so does Notre Dame.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Today's society is more than ever all about the individual, the me, me, me thinking. This feeling of me, my, I, is in every business, every sport, everything. Some girls may seem like team players in high school, but that could be because on that day she knows college coaches are in the stands, and most high profile coaches are not looking for the "all about me-type' player. When it comes to making a decision of where that girl goes to college though, the me, my, I could raise its head and influence where to commit. This is not to be referenced to the present commit elsewhere, but it has to be thought of as a possible reason why a girl commits elsewhere. This is what makes those that commit and stay at Connecticut for the full four years extra special. Funny because many of the girls who do commit to the school do end up being as good or even better than those that commit elsewhere to get immediate playing time and the attention that comes with stardom. Those that do not commit to Connecticut may be a blessing in disguise, because those that excelled in the past may have been held back due to another's immediate talent suppressing them. It always seems Connecticut always comes out of refusal and failure to lure some recruits that turn into an opportunity and success of others. That is why, no matter who comes and who doesn't come to Connecticut, never sways my belief that the sun will always shine on this program of Connecticut women's basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor and Tennessee would probably be the only matches to that question. Louisville and Notre Dame in the picture.
So possibly 4 schools that would have as many or more highly recruited players than UCONN? Then I really really like UCONN's chances until Geno retires. Someone has got to help me understand where this fear is coming from that UCONN is losing or has been surpassed in recruiting or play on the court. This might be the greatest mass misinformation campaign of all time!

Reaction Score
We are now in a different generation of women’s college basketball. Tennessee ruled the second generation (the 90’s and 2000’s) UCONN ruled the third (from Maya Moore to Breanna Stewart), and now we’re entering a new generation. For what it’s worth, I don’t count UCONN as falling out of prominence at all, I’m just highlighting that WCBB feels different now than it did 5 years ago. Because there’s so much history now in the sport, I do believe that some players are making their decisions based on history. Say what you want about TN the past ten years: it doesn’t negate the idea that some top recruits are drawn to rocky top because they want to work to restore what used to be the premiere program in the sport. Although I’m sure that the coaching staff at UCONN is superior, nevertheless, great players can be drawn by great narratives (just look at Lebron), and it is a great narrative in wcbb to return TN to the final four.

Reaction Score
We are now in a different generation of women’s college basketball. Tennessee ruled the second generation (the 90’s and 2000’s) UCONN ruled the third (from Maya Moore to Breanna Stewart), and now we’re entering a new generation. For what it’s worth, I don’t count UCONN as falling out of prominence at all, I’m just highlighting that WCBB feels different now than it did 5 years ago. Because there’s so much history now in the sport, I do believe that some players are making their decisions based on history. Say what you want about TN the past ten years: it doesn’t negate the idea that some top recruits are drawn to rocky top because they want to work to restore what used to be the premiere program in the sport. Although I’m sure that the coaching staff at UCONN is superior, nevertheless, great players can be drawn by great narratives (just look at Lebron), and it is a great narrative in wcbb to return TN to the final four.

Somehow I doubt high school kids are drawn to UT to return it to greatness. They want to play, have fun, be on TV, etc., all of which UT can give them. Despite the fact she's a mediocre coach, Holly evidently bonds with recruits/players well. And even though I grew up in CT, Storrs doesn't hold a candle to Knoxville for weather, vibrant campus, etc, IMHO.

Having said that, I'll bet on Geno any day of the week, but parity IS coming.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
We are now in a different generation of women’s college basketball. Tennessee ruled the second generation (the 90’s and 2000’s)

Um, UConn won 5 championships in the 2000s; another 5 from 2010 on. Tennessee won 2 in the 2000s, none from 2010 on, I don't think that concedes the decade to them, despite the "lean years." I know we only made the Regionals each of those three years in the 2000s but, on the other hand, there's Ball State.

On Edit: Spaced out. Thanks Alydar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Um, UConn won 4 championships in the 2000s; another 6 from 2010 on. Tennessee won 2 in the 2000s, none from 2010 on, I don't think that concedes that decade to them.

Thank you. And if you measure the 2000's from 2000-2009 UConn has 5 to the 2 for the LV's. And if you look at where the 2 programs were each ranked going into the tournament since 2000 the gap between the programs is wider than the Grand Canyon.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Great Post BTW!
Geno does not recruit only on athletic ability. The player has to have the right (team first) mindset and demonstrate the desire to work hard. Geno has said many times that if a player does not cheer for and enjoy the success of teammates while on the bench, he does not recruit them. Also, as I understand, the current players have some input into the process. If the current players don't think a recruit will fit in, that is also factored in.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I am not convinced that Notre Dame is building a dynasty just yet. They have the roster to win it all this year, but they will lose a lot to graduation after this season. They have good recruits on paper, but just as UConn has to hope that the recruits they have live up to their potential, so does Notre Dame.

Neither am I and I'm one of the guys with the ND logo posting here. ;)

I think MM & her very trusty aide de camp, Niele Ivey, are constantly trying to find the right kind of people and players to constitute the kind of team they believe can play/enact ND's preferred style of play and temperament.

In the case of the current roster, ND has a very strong starting five and a sub or two in part through happenstance. If Brianna Turner had not injured her ACL, she would've just finished her rookie WNBA season. Instead, she's now combining with her buddy, Jessica Shepard, to anchor the Irish front court.

Next year, we'll have a lot of question marks for four (that's right, 4) starting spots:
- Will Mik Vaughn recover from her own ACL injury and continue to show the form she demonstrated before her injury?
- Will Jordan Nixon become the take-over point guard that MM hopes she will?
- Will the then sophomores (Gilbert, Prohaska and Cosgrove) step up?
- And how will next year's frosh class (so far Sam Brunelle and Anaya Peoples...not so bad) do?

So, lots of questions. However, MM -- like Geno and Tara at Stanford -- always seem to find the right kind of players to keep on keeping on. And then some.

It would help UConn to round out this '19 class with another commit (and from the not-so-outside looking in, I think Ms. Boston is optimal), but in any case, you'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Geno does not recruit only on athletic ability. The player has to have the right (team first) mindset and demonstrate the desire to work hard. Geno has said many times that if a player does not cheer for and enjoy the success of teammates while on the bench, he does not recruit them. Also, as I understand, the current players have some input into the process. If the current players don't think a recruit will fit in, that is also factored in.
While opinions vary, I wonder how many of the "UConn not interested" players get to this category not because Geno doesn't want them but because they (for whatever reason) do not want UConn. Many if not most of the players on this yearly list go on to have good careers and are solid citizens. No negative on UConn or Geno, just a realistic view of the recruiting world. Whenever I look at the many banners, I'm thankful for the women that have come to Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom