AP Top 25 Women's Preseason Poll | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25 Women's Preseason Poll

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
While I have no insight on Cardoso’s abilities, I’d have to argue that if it was a big game, it doesn’t take much for Liv to disappear on offense for the Huskies. Liv scored just 19 points combined in games against Arkansas, Baylor, Arizona, South Carolina and Tennessee. So, if I’m reading this right, I’m not sure where the claim that a decent post couldn’t defend Liv comes from as teams like Arkansas don’t really have a well known post.

I think the other thing I need to address on this board is my own bias and how it sometimes comes off given that this is a UConn centric board. I have an immense respect for what the Huskies have done over the years; however, I freely admit that I almost always root for the underdog against the Huskies with the exception of Baylor and possibly South Carolina. With that being said, I try to be fair in my assessment most of the time. That being said, there are times where I feel that (other) boards and the media are so overwhelmingly UConn centric (and not that they haven’t earned it) that I struggle to find an appropriate counterbalance to that. This is something that I welcome conversation on and am continuously unpacking for myself as I recognize my interloper status who provides lunatic votes on the Boneyard Poll.
thank you for supporting my opinion. As we all know Liv has not performed as expected against top clubs. Therefore Her 17 point 8 rebound performance against Cardoso validates my opinion of Cardoso's performance the one time that I saw her. Cardoso had a nice game with 12 and 7, but her foul trouble in a big game (NCAA Playoffs) indicated to me she couldn't handle Liv as other players were able. Hence, my opinion as posted.

I don't clearly understand tagging my post as UConn centric. If I had stated an opinion without some level of substantiation then perhaps your point would be valid. While the stated purpose of the board is to be UConn Women's Basketball focused, I find it far more open than any other of the 5 boards I regularly read.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm perfectly fine with the rankings. The only one that matters is the LAST one.

Reaction Score
Every year? Got something to back that up?

I thought they had a home and home series going. Guess not. Maybe I'm thinking of some other eastern team that Stanford has a regular series with.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I watched that game about 4 times, the last three more from a Syracuse viewpoint. I too saw a freshman that wasn't yet in shape for WCBB. I also saw a 6'7" player that ran the floor better than Liv, that could finish with either hand on either side of the basket unlike Liv, could drop her left leg and finish with her right hand unlike Liv, was a better rebounder, and had good hands. Not as good as Liv's, but good. Now, I couldn't tell if she had a shot outside of 6 feet, nor could I tell what kind of passer she is. I could see that she was a poor screener, was not good at blocking out, and had average footwork, all fixable. I saw a player with average athleticism, and an average basketball IQ. However she is enthusiastic, hard working, is coachable, is a fine teammate, has a great attitude, and plays hard with a lot of "I want it". You say she couldn't handle Liv. I saw a freshman player against UConn that played with foul trouble, was constantly pulled from the lineup, played less minutes than any starter (less minutes that AE played for UConn) and second less on the team, but did well against Lv when she was in there, found it hard to get any rhythm, and played with horrible guards that couldn't get the ball to her in position to score. I guess we saw two different games.
I don't know that we saw two different games. I've only seen the game once and was too emotionally committed to perform a play by play analysis. I too saw an out of condition player who committed too many fouls. I saw her continually pulled because she was out of shape and often out of position. The one trait that I did see that gave me concern was she, in my opinion, did not seem to care about winning the game. I saw no fire or whatever as she interacted with her teammates. It was obvious her teammates cared about her and were intermittently encouraging her. I fully accept your analysis but will keep my opinion. I may sadly, but not reluctantly, change my opinion after seeing her with better coaching, conditioning, and teammates this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought they had a home and home series going. Guess not. Maybe I'm thinking of some other eastern team that Stanford has a regular series with.
I think Stanford plays Tennessee more often than not, but maybe not quite every year?

Reaction Score
It is clear that UCONN & South Carolina will have excellent teams this year. I remain convinced that we are not going back to the days where a team will be pre-ordained for the Natty. WCBB is only getting more competitive amongst conferences and within conferences. I expect this season's NCAA Tournament to be much like this past season, with multiple teams having the real possibility of making the Final 4 and Championship game.

Reaction Score
My take on the preseason poll is that any one three multi-talented teams-- South Carolina, Uconn or Stanford could be #1. It will be extremely interesting to find out which one wins plays the best basketball and wins the NCAA championship and ends the season as #1.

Reaction Score
Yes losing 5 games is bad, but it's how you end the season is where it counts. Of the 3 teams, South Carolina is only team to retain all their players. Like UCONN they lost in a final four and they have a great freshman class coming in and a great transfer. Stanford loses their leading scorer but returns a solid squad, so that's why I think Stanford is 3rd but it's really a toss up at this point. Remember It's only a preseason poll, but I definitely think you could make legit case for any of those 3 teams to be #1.
I expect Stanford to suffer in rankings having to duke it out in PAC-12 but as a result be tough in Final Four. SC will be better this year with a host of experience. UConn’s finish depends on how a talent laden team dishes out the minutes. This, 2022, might (I said MIGHT) not be a NC year, 2023 will be.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Don’t fault for Boston for missing a layup and Paige making a Lucky 3.
A lucky three doesn't bounce about 80 inches up and down traveling a total of 160 inches ( 13' 4") and go through the center of the hoop. The original shot was directly on line with the center of the hoop. If it were not the distance the bounce traveled would have made the shot miss. The shot was a fraction long but other than that was more on line than many shots that swish. As a man who has missed many shots, it was, in my opinion, an awesome display of on target shooting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That game was decided by a missed layup and a lucky bounce on a 3-pointer. That result has zero impact on the polls at this point.

SC has everyone back from last year as well, and they're adding a similarly formidable freshman class, AND they're adding the pick of the transfer market in Cardoso.

Why is everyone so wigged out about this? Give the team a chance to win the top spot on the court. Surely that would be more gratifying than a number on paper in the preseason.
I am guessing that Dorka wasn't considered part of the transfer market...

Reaction Score
Oregon State is #14?
They were 12-8 last year and lost Goodman to graduation and Freshman Goforth(Pac12 1st team freshman) to Arkansas.
Too high, IMO

and of course..........why are there no votes for Cal Baptist?? Polls are stupid to not include them. Heck, Belmont got 5 votes. I understand "Belmont" has a lot of "horsepower" on their team. :rolleyes:
Keep in mind that six of those eight losses came in PAC-12 play. Sorry, but I doubt UConn could go through conference play in PAC-12 undefeated, maybe 19-3, 20-2 at best.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that Dorka wasn't considered part of the transfer market...
I'm sure she was considered as part of the transfer market. Just Cardoso was the biggest fish in the market.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she was considered as part of the transfer market. Just Cardoso was the biggest fish in the market.
Cardoso finished second on Syracuse at 14.3 points per game, second on the team in rebounding at 8.5 boards per game.
Dorka Juhasz at Ohio State averaging 13.2 points and 9.4 rebounds per game. Same size fish.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Cardoso finished second on Syracuse at 14.3 points per game, second on the team in rebounding at 8.5 boards per game.
Dorka Juhasz at Ohio State averaging 13.2 points and 9.4 rebounds per game. Same size fish.
I guess I was mistaken in thinking that being a 2 time First Team All Big 10 player might account for something.
I was just wondering what entity proclaimed Cardoso as the #1 transfer catch. I understand these "ratings" are subjective but I have to think that a graduate transfer with these accolades would be considered a better catch than an underachieving freshman. IMO.

Reaction Score
Bahahahahahaha
I don't think they much care about their ranking... They have to know with their talent and depth, winning is completely within their control and if they just keepwinning games, a championship is theirs regardless of ranking.

Reaction Score
I guess I was mistaken in thinking that being a 2 time First Team All Big 10 player might account for something.
I was just wondering what entity proclaimed Cardoso as the #1 transfer catch. I understand these "ratings" are subjective but I have to think that a graduate transfer with these accolades would be considered a better catch than an underachieving freshman. IMO.

She won ACC FOY AND DPOY… in what way is that underachieving? I guess her transfer value would have more weight if people took the Big 10 more serious before last year. Cardoso has an argument for best transfer but does Juhasz? I mean the best transfer shouldn’t let a player torch them for 50 points… JMO.

Reaction Score
I saw Cardosso one time and I thought she was pretty soft and not in good shape. She can score around the hoop and will grab some boards but I was not impressed. Defensively she couldn't handle Liv. I know she now has a better coach, but I didn't see the innate fire necessary to dominate a game with players of similar size. My sample size is small but it left me not caring where she went after cuse.
Great post! This board beats up on Liv something fierce but she really handled Cardoso in that tourny game. I feel like Boston struggles with fitness and Cardoso showed the same against Liv so not sure yet if anything is going to change....

Reaction Score
I watched that game about 4 times, the last three more from a Syracuse viewpoint. I too saw a freshman that wasn't yet in shape for WCBB. I also saw a 6'7" player that ran the floor better than Liv, that could finish with either hand on either side of the basket unlike Liv, could drop her left leg and finish with her right hand unlike Liv, was a better rebounder, and had good hands. Not as good as Liv's, but good. Now, I couldn't tell if she had a shot outside of 6 feet, nor could I tell what kind of passer she is. I could see that she was a poor screener, was not good at blocking out, and had average footwork, all fixable. I saw a player with average athleticism, and an average basketball IQ. However she is enthusiastic, hard working, is coachable, is a fine teammate, has a great attitude, and plays hard with a lot of "I want it". You say she couldn't handle Liv. I saw a freshman player against UConn that played with foul trouble, was constantly pulled from the lineup, played less minutes than any starter (less minutes that AE played for UConn) and second less on the team, but did well against Lv when she was in there, found it hard to get any rhythm, and played with horrible guards that couldn't get the ball to her in position to score. I guess we saw two different games.
Sorry but I think you failed to point out that she spent time on the bench because Liv got her in foul trouble. I am no fan of Liv's and am ecstatic that Dorka is here but I can't let inaccuracy go unanswered.

Reaction Score
aliyah Boston for me is the best forward in college the second is Shakira Austin Cameron brink the third if Aliyah was 6,5 she could be number 2 or 1 .... cordoso may be the 9 or 10.....
If Boston was in as good of shape as Liv or Edwards then I'd agree with you. Now if Boston would have made a better choice, she would be in better shape and probably actually the best F. I unapologetically bleed blue.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
She won ACC FOY AND DPOY… in what way is that underachieving? I guess her transfer value would have more weight if people took the Big 10 more serious before last year. Cardoso has an argument for best transfer but does Juhasz? I mean the best transfer shouldn’t let a player torch them for 50 points… JMO.
I admit that the only time I saw Cardoso was when she played against us in the Tournament. I'm sure the announcers announced that she was the ACC DPOY, but I was watching her commit 4 fouls in 23 minutes.
And if you had seen my other posts in the thread, my basic question was who determined that Cardoso was the best transfer.
I have no idea what what you are referring to (in bold above). Seriously, I have no idea.

Reaction Score
I admit that the only time I saw Cardoso was when she played against us in the Tournament. I'm sure the announcers announced that she was the ACC DPOY, but I was watching her commit 4 fouls in 23 minutes.
And if you had seen my other posts in the thread, my basic question was who determined that Cardoso was the best transfer.
I have no idea what what you are referring to (in bold above). Seriously, I have no idea.

So you’re going off of seeing her play once? Ah got it. These things have a way of happening themselves so we’ll find out soon enough who was the best transfer on the market. I personally give my vote to NC St transfer Diamond Johnson. Also the player I was referring to above was Naz Hillmon scoring 50 points on Dorka Juhasz last season.

Reaction Score
So you’re going off of seeing her play once? Ah got it. These things have a way of happening themselves so we’ll find out soon enough who was the best transfer on the market. I personally give my vote to NC St transfer Diamond Johnson. Also the player I was referring to above was Naz Hillmon scoring 50 points on Dorka Juhasz last season.
Does mcgruff teach defense

Reaction Score
Also the player I was referring to above was Naz Hillmon scoring 50 points on Dorka Juhasz last season.
Michigan lost this game to Ohio State, 77 - 81 even Hillimon scored 50 pts. Defense is the whole team's effort not just one person. End of discussion.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member