AP Top 25 Women's Preseason Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25 Women's Preseason Poll

Reaction Score
How many preseason AP Poll #1s have ever won the NC at the end of the tournament? How many times has UConn been preseason #1 and of those, how many won the NC?

So, does this preseason rankings mean much beyond getting people to start talking about each upcoming season?

Don't know where to find info. Any suggestions?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oregon State is #14?
They were 12-8 last year and lost Goodman to graduation and Freshman Goforth(Pac12 1st team freshman) to Arkansas.
Too high, IMO

and of course..........why are there no votes for Cal Baptist?? Polls are stupid to not include them. Heck, Belmont got 5 votes. I understand "Belmont" has a lot of "horsepower" on their team. :rolleyes:
But still, Oregon State is in the PAC-12. That's enough for me to rank them above some of these other also rans. But yeah, too high. In the 20's, although they may yet move up during the year.

Reaction Score
This is NCAA April 4, 2021 final ranking. South Carolina lost 5 games in last year. I want to ask based on what Sough Carolina can be ahead of Stanford and UConn as a #1 this year?

Screenshot (10).png

Reaction Score
This is AP's March 15, 2021 ranking. South Carolina is # 6, and again nothing changes for UConn and Stanford. Except UConn adds #1 and #5 freshmen, South Carolina adds #2. 3 and 4 freshmen.

Screenshot (11).png

Reaction Score
This is NCAA April 4, 2021 final ranking. South Carolina lost 5 games in last year. I want to ask based on what Sough Carolina can be ahead of Stanford and UConn as a #1 this year?

View attachment 70409

Based upon the SEC footprint states (including Texas and Oklahoma) having more resident AP voter with the Texas press doubtful of Baylor and remembering the Texas/SCar tournament game.

Now the smart-ass response: Why is UConn ranked above Stanford? Or even Arizona?

It's all opinion. Thankfully, it will be decided on the courts.

Reaction Score
I had Stanford as preseason #1 but the Top 3 no matter their order in ranking is justifiable. I anticipate the #1 ranking will be decided in the Bahamas if both UCONN and SC make it to the championship game.
No. It wont be decided until April 3.

Reaction Score
Based upon the SEC footprint states (including Texas and Oklahoma) having more resident AP voter with the Texas press doubtful of Baylor and remembering the Texas/SCar tournament game.

Now the smart-ass response: Why is UConn ranked above Stanford? Or even Arizona?

It's all opinion. Thankfully, it will be decided on the courts.
I have no problem Stanford as #1 because they are the defending champion. As Arizona I have no answer. Buy South Carolina will be lucky if they are #3 based on their last year's record.

Reaction Score

View attachment 70409

Yes losing 5 games is bad, but it's how you end the season is where it counts. Of the 3 teams, South Carolina is only team to retain all their players. Like UCONN they lost in a final four and they have a great freshman class coming in and a great transfer. Stanford loses their leading scorer but returns a solid squad, so that's why I think Stanford is 3rd but it's really a toss up at this point. Remember It's only a preseason poll, but I definitely think you could make legit case for any of those 3 teams to be #1.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You've got to be kidding me. So UConn has Paige and Azzi two game changers, Oliva, Dorka Paige and Amari all 6'5, 3 HS number 1's, 1 HS number 2 and a world of talent and UConn is not number 1?????? You know I should have my own WCBB sports page. Let me say this. This years UConn WCBB team is DANGEROUS. The only way UConn could loose a game this season is if they loose it themselves and beat themselves because I don't believe they can be beaten. Above all UConn has the two best players in the country in Paige and Azzi and a contingency of players who are all top players with along with alot of height, and a returning starting lineup with experience. I dont think UConn will loose a game this season, they very well could but they are too-oo good and above anything any other team can compete with. Chemistry continuity attitude and above all confidence will make this team NC. Understand when you have one player who can take over a game and make everybody else on the floor better you've got a really good chance of winning. UConn has two players who can do that. No other team in WCBB has that and IMO thats the difference.
I love ya' Tony - your enthusiasm and exuberance for UCONN WCBB is unmatched.

However, there is no way Paige and Azzi are the 2 best players in the country. Azzi, at this time, is not even in the top 10. Azzi is not even the 2nd best player on her own team - the Christyn Williams from the post season is easily the #2 player on UCONN to start the season.

In fact, were you to ask Geno, I'm betting that as of now, he'd also list Olivia, Evina and Liya as "better than Azzi" as for as UCONN is concerned at this time.

And my comments are no slight to Azzi - I expect by her senior year, she will have racked up numerous individual achievements as well as hopefully numerous NC's. I watched all the FIBA U19 games - all 7 of them for Team USA. She was not one of the top 4 players on the team. That honor IMHO went to Clark, Citron, Johnson and Betts. Azzi was in the next group with Paopao and Verhulst.

Off the top of my head players who should be voted ahead of Azzi currently in WCBB are:
  • Christyn Williams
  • Elisa Cunane
  • Nylissa Smith
  • Ashley Owusu
  • Aaliyah Boston
  • Caitlin Clark
  • Rhyne Howard
  • Haley Jones
  • Ashley Joens
  • Diamond Johnson
  • Jakia Brown-Turner
  • Katie Benzen
  • Cameron Brink
  • Zia Cooke
I'm sure there are others. Some players who enter college not only do it with a TON of hype (like Paige), but also dominated at every level - high school, AAU, and Team USA (like Stewie did and Lauren Betts when she arrives in college next year). Azzi used to be the top player, maybe by a wide margin, but injuries derailed that, and her solid but unspectacular play for Team USA did little to elevate her from the hype-machine perspective.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

View attachment 70409

Two possible reasons:
1) SC has the #1 incoming recruiting class per ESPN
2) Impact transfers namely Kamilla Cardoso

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member