AP Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Rankings

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Norte dame dropped out a lot quicker than Tenn ever did
Tennessee's pattern over the past couple years has been to start out well against a soft nonconference schedule in November and December, before sliding down:

2018-19: 11-1 before Jan. 1 (only loss was to Stanford); 10-12 after Jan. 1
2017-18: 12-0 before Dec. 31 (including wins over Stanford, Texas, Marquette); 13-8 after Dec. 31

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Do you really think that UConn is a top 10 team? I don't know. When you watch them play, it looks like they are really a 15 or 16 team. I say that based on watching them today versus how they played last year and the past 5 years, there is really no comparison. Be realistic if you are going to criticize what I am saying. If they truly are a 4, then the rest of the teams on a practical basis are really not that better than UConn. Maybe, this year the elite team is Oregon followed by Baylor, but the way UConn plays, I just can't see it. Have at it.

Let me put this another way:
We're used to a certain UConn look.

Since the Maya Moore period, there was always the expectation of a certain level, that if attained, would bring both victories and artistic satisfaction.

Certainly, there were exceptions...where despite all the talent, pedigree, and savoir faire, the team was outplayed...In the NCAA tourney a few years ago, Dayton...lowly Dayton manhandled our three amigos for the whole first half...They had an excellent coach and some fine, poised players...A year (or so) later it was Texas...Texas? who played us to a standstill for a half...In exasperation (genius?), Geno subbed in a little used freshman...and Phee made a few shots and the game turned.

This season, it feels different, We have 2 (or is it 3) former # 1's, who to date (including previous seasons), have played more like 2 and a half's, we're short a power forward, and one of the shooting guards, hasn't shown the ability to hit the side of the barn...the other is green as can be (but gifted).

They don't look like a UConn team at all...but neither do many other teams. In a funny sort of way, we're a little like Tennessee except the elevator is going in different directions. They have more of the
pieces (certainly height) but are just learning (after years of coaching incompetence) the fundamentals of what it takes to play this game in a pressurized environment. Our team more-or-less understands that, but is far away from maxing out its talent...If played today, the game would be a toss-up.

I think that that is what Very Old is referring to...If we play a team anywhere in the top 25, that is prepared, fearless, talented and decently coached, then (as of today) we are vulnerable (I wouldn't want to play Arizona tomorrow). Maybe in a few weeks, it will be better.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Those of you who are complaining about the "look" of this team should perhaps remember that no UConn team since 2016 has had an inside presence for the majority of the game. Natalie Butler played behind Napheesa (deservedly so), and Azura never made the starting lineup either (I think because she really wanted to play outside but was unable to make outside shots). ONO was the 6th person last year.

This year, UConn has a significant inside presence for 35 minutes a game. She wants to be there and is getting better with each game. In the first three games, she has avoided foul trouble (we will see if that continues against quality opponents).

Remember that sophomore Stef and freshman Stewie were good enough to win an NC in 2013. This team doesn't have a second big like that one did, but for most of the year, Stewie really wasn't very effective, particularly in the paint. As I recall, the other three starters on that team were Bria, Tiffany, and Kelly. I think that Crystal, Christyn, and Megan are as good as those three, so the question is whether the Anna / Aubrey combo will be as good as freshman Stewie. Probably not, but they may be close. (And will Evelyn / Kyla contribute as much off the bench as freshman Morgan Tuck.)

However, I don't see any team out there that is as scary as Griner/Sims Baylor, or Cox/Brown Baylor. Maybe Oregon is close, but I remain to be convinced that Sabrina is as good against highly athletic competition as she has been against a lesser level of competition. So I think the Final Four is a realistic goal for this year's Huskies, and an NC is not out of the question.

Reaction Score
Those of you who are complaining about the "look" of this team should perhaps remember that no UConn team since 2016 has had an inside presence for the majority of the game. Natalie Butler played behind Napheesa (deservedly so), and Azura never made the starting lineup either (I think because she really wanted to play outside but was unable to make outside shots). ONO was the 6th person last year.

This year, UConn has a significant inside presence for 35 minutes a game. She wants to be there and is getting better with each game. In the first three games, she has avoided foul trouble (we will see if that continues against quality opponents).

Remember that sophomore Stef and freshman Stewie were good enough to win an NC in 2013. This team doesn't have a second big like that one did, but for most of the year, Stewie really wasn't very effective, particularly in the paint. As I recall, the other three starters on that team were Bria, Tiffany, and Kelly. I think that Crystal, Christyn, and Megan are as good as those three, so the question is whether the Anna / Aubrey combo will be as good as freshman Stewie. Probably not, but they may be close. (And will Evelyn / Kyla contribute as much off the bench as freshman Morgan Tuck.)

However, I don't see any team out there that is as scary as Griner/Sims Baylor, or Cox/Brown Baylor. Maybe Oregon is close, but I remain to be convinced that Sabrina is as good against highly athletic competition as she has been against a lesser level of competition. So I think the Final Four is a realistic goal for this year's Huskies, and an NC is not out of the question.
Stef was a junior when Stewie was a Freshman.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Looks like beating Texas is no longer a big win. In fact it's losing to Texas that will have a greater effect on a team's ranking. And that's sad. Too much talent going to waste in a sport that is short of it.
Arizona's problem is that Texas was the best competition - by far - that they will face OOC. Schedule was more or less done early. So difficult to see any reason to rank Arizona, because how good they are or are not will be seen only in the PAC - and with some really strong teams there, we may never creep into the rankings.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arizona's problem is that Texas was the best competition - by far - that they will face OOC. Schedule was more or less done early. So difficult to see any reason to rank Arizona, because how good they are or are not will be seen only in the PAC - and with some really strong teams there, we may never creep into the rankings.
Arizona is 2nd among RV teams. The way it usually works for those teams is they can enter by attrition after other teams ahead of them lose to unranked teams. The polls tend to be overly kind to teams that simply avoid losses, even if it's against weak competition.

Reaction Score
Uconn fans should hope that the earlier paragraphs in your post are better thought out than this last paragraph seems to be. To begin with last years Oregon team lost in the last few minutes to that Cox Brown Baylor team that you give as a scary example. They basically because they were really short-handed and a team that just tired out. Hebard was a shell of her usual self due to recovering from an earlier injury. They are a far better team than they were last year. Frankly they would beat last years Baylor team. In fact, the Baylor teams this year might be better than last years team.

As too how Sabrina would do against athletic competition. That is a question that would apply to every player playing in college at present. However, Sabrina certainly did well enough against Team USA. As did Sabally and Hebard. The thing is that where are those highly athletic teams being that you see no one that is really scary this year? Will she face them in the NCAA's.

The thing is that to be objective one has to apply the same standards to everyone and not just when it suits our narrative. Now it is prudent to not make an assumption that any team has a national championship locked up because things happen and basketball is, after all, a game of matchups and timing. Even that scarey Baylor team with Sims and Griner only won one championship. They lost once to Louisville who got hot at the right time but cooled down in the final four. They also lost to TA&M who they had already beaten three times that season. Everything lined up for TA&M that year. You have to have talent but in a single-elimination, you must have luck and also depth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The toughest teams UO will face this year are PAC-12 Teams. There are 4 x PAC-12 teams that can beat UO on any given night in PAC-12 play this season. PAC-12 teams know each other (like other conference's foes) very well, and, each home court is special. I see the PAC-12 league champion having a minimum of 2 losses in conference play.

Reaction Score
The toughest teams UO will face this year are PAC-12 Teams. There are 4 x PAC-12 teams that can beat UO on any given night in PAC-12 play this season. PAC-12 teams know each other (like other conference's foes) very well, and, each home court is special. I see the PAC-12 league champion having a minimum of 2 losses in conference play.

Am I to interpret your post as suggesting that there are 4 PAC 12 teams (in addition to Oregon) that are better than UConn?

Reaction Score
Am I to interpret your post as suggesting that there are 4 PAC 12 teams (in addition to Oregon) that are better than UConn?
No. I am saying UCONN will not win their single game with Oregon this season. No need to debate me on who wins the UCONN vs Oregon game. I can guess where you stand on that question

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The toughest teams UO will face this year are PAC-12 Teams. There are 4 x PAC-12 teams that can beat UO on any given night in PAC-12 play this season.
Oregon State, Stanford, and which others?

Reaction Score
Without Lauren Cox, Baylor won't stay at number 2.

She we will be back before they really play someone who can test them for that spot. They are good even without her, however tonight will tell how good without her.

Reaction Score
If you read his post carefully that is not what he said. He gave reasons why conference matchups are more apt to produce upsets. 1. Conference teams know each other better than non conference teams do. 2. They play each other multiple times a year so they are familiar with each other strengths and weaknesses. 3 Interconference rivalries create emotionally driven upset potential that makes home courts take on extra value. 4. There are at least four teams in the conference that considering all the aforementioned factors might be capable on any given night of upsetting Oregon. He also stated that those same conditions exist in every other conference and barring an extreme difference in talent makes those types of games likely.

Now last I heard Uconn is not in the Pac 12 so those in conference factors would not apply to them nor any other nonconference team playing Oregon. I happen to believe those factors play a role. You can see this often plays out in many conference results throughout the year. Especially when it involves traditional rivalries.

Reaction Score
She we will be back before they really play someone who can test them for that spot. They are good even without her, however tonight will tell how good without her.
They should have no problem dealing with SF even without Cox. SF was basically ranked because of their upset of then #15 Texas. Now we know that beating Texas is not all that. Another example of how an early mis-ranking can have sequential residual effects down the line. I believe teams should not be ranked until they have a least 5 games under their belts.

Reaction Score
What an ugly game from Baylor vs S Florida. Shooting , turnovers, and everything else.

Reaction Score
Kind of OT...but there is a young lady from Meriden, Connecticut (Kiah Gillespie) who is really appreciated down in Tallahassee....didn't realize where she was from until I heard it announced.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford had to go to OT to edge the Zags on Sunday. They are still #3.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No. I am saying UCONN will not win their single game with Oregon this season. No need to debate me on who wins the UCONN vs Oregon game. I can guess where you stand on that question
Well you did say the only “tough games” UO had this year were PAC12 which is a bit dismissive of us. I have watched enough of the PAC12 this year already to say that UConn is at least second only to Oregon- better than Stanford, OSU and UCLA. I also think we match up well with Oregon as they have athletes vs space eaters. Experience is obviously on UOs side but ONO and Williams now know Hebard and Sabrina very well. To me, the difference will be Sabally and if someone on UConn can guard her- Aubrey is my guess though Anna could be a good second option.
If you truly think only PAC12 teams could give Oragan a tough game than maybe you need to watch Baylor and rewatch last years Baylor game. They deserve the #1 rank for now but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. ;)

Reaction Score
Well you did say the only “tough games” UO had this year were PAC12 which is a bit dismissive of us. I have watched enough of the PAC12 this year already to say that UConn is at least second only to Oregon- better than Stanford, OSU and UCLA. I also think we match up well with Oregon as they have athletes vs space eaters. Experience is obviously on UOs side but ONO and Williams now know Hebard and Sabrina very well. To me, the difference will be Sabally and if someone on UConn can guard her- Aubrey is my guess though Anna could be a good second option.
If you truly think only PAC12 teams could give Oragan a tough game than maybe you need to watch Baylor and rewatch last years Baylor game. They deserve the #1 rank for now but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. ;)
Not being dismissive of UCONN. I think @willtalk response to @JonathanXIV summarized my position.

Reaction Score
A lot can change from now till 2-3-20 so predicting a result is foolish but the game in Gampel will definitely be much tougher to win than a game at UCLA. I only hope they are undefeated then, because I know the pressure that can put on a team. Some really good teams have lost badly to UConn in some part due to the aura surrounding the Huskies and a few teams have beaten UConn by playing them 3 or 4 times a year, when the aura was diminished. But normally when 2 teams "know" each other the factor that is negated is the intimidation factor that the better team possesses. Look at S Carolina. They have never beaten UConn in this century, and have lost badly several years when they had very very good teams. In 2018 they lost at home to UConn by about 25 (& 4 other teams that season) and then won the title.
Travelling across the country to play their 3rd road game in 4 days (5th game in 10 days), Oregon will not have been able to practice at home for a week or so, and that road trip will come right after back to back big conference games against OSU. And despite UConn's reported decline, opponents still have to overcome the aura. They will see those 11 championship banners hanging in Gampel and realize that they have none in their home.
Oregon is good enough to overcome all those things but the best team doesn't always win.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom