AP Preseason #3 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP Preseason #3

Reaction Score
That’s why we are talking about talent and not college production. Why are we moving goalposts from the original point?

Also FYI, we don’t have a ton of returning production ourselves…
I like Ball, Mahaney, Diarra, Stewart, Reed, Samson a lot more than I like Proctor, Foster, Gillis, Maliq Brown, Sion James.

We all know Duke has the #1 pick in Flagg but their talent in in their freshmen and we tend to know how that goes. If we're going by that both Duke and Rutgers have more talent than Kansas, Alabama, and UConn.

I'll take our depth of talent coupled with experienced talent over anyone in college basketball.

Reaction Score
I like Ball, Mahaney, Diarra, Stewart, Reed, Samson a lot more than I like Proctor, Foster, Gillis, Maliq Brown, Sion James.

We all know Duke has the #1 pick in Flagg but their talent in in their freshmen and we tend to know how that goes. If we're going by that both Duke and Rutgers have more talent than Kansas, Alabama, and UConn.

I'll take our depth of talent coupled with experienced talent over anyone in college basketball.
That’s fine with that group. But Duke has 4 other 5 stars that you didn’t mention. Solely talent, as is evaluated in recruits, they probably have more.

Also, Rutgers doesn’t belong in this convo at all, they have 2 superstar talents then a bunch of meh.

Reaction Score
That’s why we are talking about talent and not college production. Why are we moving goalposts from the original point?

Also FYI, we don’t have a ton of returning production ourselves…
Because you’re conflating talent with potential. Talent is a present tense thing. At this current moment UConn has more realized talent than Duke. How many guys come into college with “talent” aka potential and never realize it? Potential is not a talent.

Mahaney, Karaban, Johnson, Hass, Solo, Stewart are way more proven than the majority of Dukes rosters. Their “vets” haven’t been great college players. If you want to say Duke has more guys with “potential” sure I guess. Though I still may not agree. I just reject the talent word always being used to diminish Hurley rosters. It’s lazy. Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan had to defeat the same lazy narrative. Give me the proven commodity every time

Reaction Score
That’s fine with that group. But Duke has 4 other 5 stars that you didn’t mention. Solely talent, as is evaluated in recruits, they probably have more.

Also, Rutgers doesn’t belong in this convo at all, they have 2 superstar talents then a bunch of meh.
That was my point, those other 5 stars are freshmen. I thought I made that clear in my post.

You seem to be hung up on 5 star freshmen who are viewed as NBA talent, that's why I mentioned Rutgers. They will have 2 players drafted in the next draft before anyone from Kansas, Alabama, and UConn are drafted.

Reaction Score
Because you’re conflating talent with potential. Talent is a present tense thing. At this current moment UConn has more realized talent than Duke. How many guys come into college with “talent” aka potential and never realize it? Potential is not a talent.

Mahaney, Karaban, Johnson, Hass, Solo, Stewart are way more proven than the majority of Dukes rosters. Their “vets” haven’t been great college players. If you want to say Duke has more guys with “potential” sure I guess. Though I still may not agree. I just reject the talent word always being used to diminish Hurley rosters. It’s lazy. Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan had to defeat the same lazy narrative. Give me the proven commodity every time
It’s pointless to keep going around in circles. I made a statement that these teams probably have more on-paper talent than we do, we have plenty other things working for us, it isn’t a dig. We can agree to disagree.

That was my point, those other 5 stars are freshmen. I thought I made that clear in my post.

You seem to be hung up on 5 star freshmen who are viewed as NBA talent, that's why I mentioned Rutgers. They will have 2 players drafted in the next draft before anyone from Kansas, Alabama, and UConn are drafted.
If they are NBA talent they are certainly College Bball talent. Anywho, my paragraph above states my position.

Reaction Score

Rutgers and Duke will be two very interesting experiments to watch in hoops this year as the success or lack of will likely further propel which way top coaches lean in how they recruit, frosh or portal. Both will be must watch TV.

Guys like Self and Oats seem to be leaning towards portal, Hurley seems to be sticking to ground up development.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Duke will be two very interesting experiments to watch in hoops this year as the success or lack of will likely further propel which way top coaches lean in how they recruit, frosh or portal. Both will be must watch TV.

Guys like Self and Oats seem to be leaning towards portal, Hurley seems to be sticking to ground up development.
Harper is super creative and Ace is a highlight waiting to happen, will be great to watch how they mesh with a bunch of guys who need their level raised.

Reaction Score

We're killing it in recruiting and the portal. We just had the best starting backcourt I can remember seeing in college with Tristen and Cam and they were transfers. When you expand that backcourt further you had a top 10 recruit in Castle and another transfer in Hass. Hurley is simply doing the portal and high school recruiting better than anyone in the country.

A one and done stud in Castle and a one in done stud in McNeeley and then a whole bunch of studs who are two or three year UConn players. He's managed to bring in transfers Tristen, Cam, Hass, Joey, Alleyne, Mahaney, Reed without scaring off any of our returning players.

The winning formula isn't getting a bunch of 5 stars who likely leave after one season. It's having a mix of guys who will come back, transfers, and retaining all your players who will be significant contributors and Hurley simply does it better than anyone else. It also helps that Hurley and staff are better at coaching them up than anyone else.

Self and Oats are simply trying to replicate what Hurley has done as are other coaches across the country.

Reaction Score
Has a UConn team ever had 10 top 100 players on the same roster? I looked at the 247 composite:

17. McNeeley
35. Reed
37. Nowell
45. Ball
57. Johnson
66. Stewart
76. Abraham
81. Ross
82. Diarra
95. Karaban

(Mahaney and Yousseff were both top 150 but not 100)

Reaction Score
We're killing it in recruiting and the portal. We just had the best starting backcourt I can remember seeing in college with Tristen and Cam and they were transfers. When you expand that backcourt further you had a top 10 recruit in Castle and another transfer in Hass. Hurley is simply doing the portal and high school recruiting better than anyone in the country.

A one and done stud in Castle and a one in done stud in McNeeley and then a whole bunch of studs who are two or three year UConn players. He's managed to bring in transfers Tristen, Cam, Hass, Joey, Alleyne, Mahaney, Reed without scaring off any of our returning players.

The winning formula isn't getting a bunch of 5 stars who likely leave after one season. It's having a mix of guys who will come back, transfers, and retaining all your players who will be significant contributors and Hurley simply does it better than anyone else. It also helps that Hurley and staff are better at coaching them up than anyone else.

Self and Oats are simply trying to replicate what Hurley has done as are other coaches across the country.
But guys like Tristen, Cam and Alex wouldn’t be seen as talented because you know…their high school rankings

Reaction Score
Dude has two rings and KU fans have a legit gripe that would've won in 2020 if the tournament wasn't cancelled. When Jay Wright retired everyone thought Bill Self was going to be THE coach until Hurley claimed the crown.
He also has a closet full of Adidas sneakers he never paid for. If you love him so much put up a statue in your front yard.

Reaction Score
But guys like Tristen, Cam and Alex wouldn’t be seen as talented because you know…their high school rankings
There were plenty of people who thought Duke and Kentucky were more talented than UConn was last season. People get blinded by rankings and don't even see what's unfolding in front of their faces.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know Dykes is an SEC homer but he's arguing he can't rank UConn top 10 because of what they lost but having Tenn that high is funny. Knecht was their offense.

season 9 episode 23 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom