AP Preseason #3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Preseason #3

Reaction Score
clingan ain't walkin' back through the doors of Gampel this year. It's not fair to expect this team to be as good as last year, DH has said as much.
It doesn't have to be bur people were saying the same thing heading into last season.

Reaction Score
Kansas, Alabama, and Duke have 3 of the most on paper talent loaded rosters I can recall. Duke and Kansas learned from their mistakes from last year. Alabama has been building to this. We've got talent, but taking x's and o's out of it, we're not as loaded as that group.

But scheme and program infrastructure is going to put us in that conversation.

Reaction Score
My thing with Storr is I am averse to wing scorers who can’t pass (he averages less than an assist per game). You can’t win with guys who have the ball in their hands a lot and can’t/don’t make plays for their teammates. Offense becomes too predictable.

Reaction Score
clingan ain't walkin' back through the doors of Gampel this year. It's not fair to expect this team to be as good as last year, DH has said as much.
As Hurley said, they don’t need to be as good as last year to win the title. Not being as good as last year doesn’t mean that they’re still not better than everyone else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Preseason doesn't mean much. I think #3 is fine. If anything they've learned that Hurley will get the team together and it will be more than the sum of its parts. No real complaints about the rankings, some teams will surprise to the upside and some to the downside. Always happens.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
As Hurley said, they don’t need to be as good as last year to win the title. Not being as good as last year doesn’t mean that they’re still not better than everyone else.

Returning players need to be at least as good as last year.

Reaction Score
Maybe but Mayo hasn't done it yet at high d1 level...Storr has that Caleb Love gene where they have a 99/100 on the confidence slider but 13/100 on team concept. Very dangerous combo, both good and bad. Can shoot teams out of late game situations a lot.

Mccullar couldn't shoot either but he was a Swiss army type, somewhat like AJax was. That's a big piece to miss and they better really really really hope that Elmarko takes a step and the transfers get it done because their team last year was unbelievably bad at shooting.
Jackson is out for the entire year and with the portal additions they've added he wasn't going to be a make or break player for them anyway

Reaction Score
Well we lost 3 starters after 2022-2023 and we went on to be the most dominant tournament team ever in 2023-2024.
We were bringing back Newton, Karaban, and Clingan, which was two starters and a third guy who everyone acknowledged was starting-caliber. We added top 10 recruit Castle. The question mark was Spencer and the bench. Spencer turned out to be a perfect fit and the bench was good enough given how elite and well-composed our starting lineup was.

This year we're trying to elevate bench guys to two starting guard positions, or possibly Mahaney (poor man's Spencer), and hoping that Johnson or Reed is up to the task at center (much bigger question mark than Clingan). Karaban is Karaban. McNeely should be the real deal. But that's like 3 spots you're having to project and making up for it with depth, which isn't important as the quality of your first 5.

I just find it funny that we're ranked more highly to start 2024, even though we ostensibly have more question marks. I guess chalk it up to the respect that Hurley/UConn is (finally) getting.

Reaction Score
Kansas, Alabama, and Duke have 3 of the most on paper talent loaded rosters I can recall. Duke and Kansas learned from their mistakes from last year. Alabama has been building to this. We've got talent, but taking x's and o's out of it, we're not as loaded as that group.

But scheme and program infrastructure is going to put us in that conversation.
You’re judging this purely off of HS rankings.

Reaction Score
That’s offen how talent is evaluated, yes.

Kansas just outright is probably the most talented team, regardless of recruit rankings.
Thats how lazy talent evaluation is done.

Also my comment wasn’t based on his inclusion of Kansas or Bama. But rather his mention of Duke. Saying they’re more “talented” is as stupid as Goodman saying Indiana was “just as talented”

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s what talent on paper means.
Not when you have proven college guys who are mid. And proven guys who are champions. We have enough information about college guys on both teams so that we don’t have to use HS rankings

Reaction Score
Thats how lazy talent evaluation is done.

Also my comment wasn’t based on his inclusion of Kansas or Bama. But rather his mention of Duke. Saying they’re more “talented” is as stupid as Goodman saying Indiana was “just as talented”
That last statement is patently false. Cooper Flagg is more talented than anyone we have, by a pretty large margin. Talent doesn’t always win as we know. But Duke probably has a more talented team than us. They don’t have as talented a coach or staff though, which matters as well.

Reaction Score
Easy enough.

Sets up nicely for two games in Providence and East Regional at Prudential Center.

Duke and UNC are other high ranked east coast schools and the committe is going to put at least one of them in Raleigh.
Put NC teams in NC? They wouldn’t do that, would they?

Reaction Score
I was hoping we’d be unranked.
There may be an unranked team now that has us in their sights…. Like we did just a couple years ago… Disrespected and ready to prove everyone wrong…

We have to keep up the intensity no matter who we’re playing - think we’ll see tonight how far we have to go in that regard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom