AP Poll - Week 4 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good morning, what a week for the Huskies! Not many teams lost to unranked opponents, but with all the tournaments that happened, there will be a lot of poll movement in today's Top 25.

Top 25 teams with losses this week to unranked opponents:
#21 Texas Tech v Ohio State
#1 North Carolina v Iowa State
#25 Iowa v TCU

Here are some public AP ballots for week 4: (Last week's rank in parentheses)
Jon Rothstein: 7 (19)
Jerry Carino: 7 (19)
Clayton Collier: 7 (18)
Mark Berman: 8 (NR) <-- Big redemption week for Berman!
Dave Borges: 6 (16)
Seth Davis: 12 (24) <-- This guy is the biggest clown in the world.
Rick Bozich: 6 (19)

Non-AP Analytic Sites:
Kenpom: 6 (19)
Barttorvik: 4 (36)
Evan Miya: 8 (20)
Massey: 8 (25)
Team Rankings: 2 (15)
Sagarin: 3 (17)
Haslametrics: 4

Prediction: UConn #8 (Should be Top 5 but whatever)

Reaction Score
Top 10 is fantastic. Deep, unselfish. Great time to be a Husky fan.
Yup, there is also a huge media perception difference between a legit top 10 team, and a team that floats around the 10-15 mark all year. We are the former. The media is taking notice of this team (except loser clown Seth Davis). We're going to be in headlines everywhere this week

Reaction Score
Good morning, what a week for the Huskies! Not many teams lost to unranked opponents, but with all the tournaments that happened, there will be a lot of poll movement in today's Top 25.

#25 Iowa v TCU

Non-AP Analytic Sites:

I'm fine with #8, even if it isn't right. I think #4 is where we really should be. I think even with a loss this week, we'd stay top 15. Win 'em both and I think we're top 5.

This is the kind of year you build life-long fans. Bring your kids to games, fill up the seats with students, etc.

Reaction Score
For those who don't pay for the Athletic (you should if you have the means), here's Seth Davis context on the good guys:

"UConn looked terrific in winning the Phil Knight Invitational with wins over Oregon, Alabama and Iowa State. The Huskies are No. 8 on KenPom and No. 21 on BartTorvik. You could make a case that they deserve to be ranked higher, but at least I put them ahead of the teams they beat in Portland. UConn doesn’t play a ranked team again until Jan. 7 against Creighton at home, so it’s going to be hard for the Huskies to move up that much over the next six weeks"

Reaction Score
Davis posted that too soon. They are 11 in BartTorvik as of this morning. His point about ranked teams, though, is right. Here's hoping Xavier decides get their act together and get into the Top 25, because we may only have two more ranked regular season games this year. Big East has mediocre depth (plus a putrid Georgetown).

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 9.32.27 AM.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought we deserved to be top 10 in the preseason rankings. Assumed we'd get there eventually. Too many people were sleeping on this team. I follow Kansas pretty closely, and expected UConn to be the better team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

#25 Iowa v TCU

Non-AP Analytic Sites:

I laughed out loud at Seth Davis' ranking. Being controversial to get attention is totally on brand for him.

Reaction Score
I expect to be around 12 and underranked there based off AP voters being stupid. Then after beating Ok state, probs around 7-8, moving up not because of a win vs OSU but because the voters will realize they were dumb in this weeks ranking.

Then again, we did win arguably the best early season tournament (at least top 2-3 tournament), and could see us as high as #6 or 7 if the votes come in with that in mind. If only we got to play UNC in the title game and blew them out by 20+…

I will say, it’s nice to see some national people finally saying we’re as good if not better than the 2013-14 team that won it all. IMO we’re definitely better than that team. That team caught fire in the NCAA tournament and had a couple big early season wins like #1 Florida, but this team definitely passes the eye test more than that team. That 13-14 team was Shabazz jacking up deep 3s, and that team got blown out multiple times (remember those games against Louiseville?). I don’t think we’re going to get blown out by anybody this year, every loss will be close.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For those who don't pay for the Athletic (you should if you have the means), here's Seth Davis context on the good guys:

"UConn looked terrific in winning the Phil Knight Invitational with wins over Oregon, Alabama and Iowa State. The Huskies are No. 8 on KenPom and No. 21 on BartTorvik. You could make a case that they deserve to be ranked higher, but at least I put them ahead of the teams they beat in Portland. UConn doesn’t play a ranked team again until Jan. 7 against Creighton at home, so it’s going to be hard for the Huskies to move up that much over the next six weeks"
So he's not ranking teams based on results, but future scheduling?

Reaction Score
Yup, there is also a huge media perception difference between a legit top 10 team, and a team that floats around the 10-15 mark all year. We are the former. The media is taking notice of this team (except loser clown Seth Davis). We're going to be in headlines everywhere this week
Can someone remind me why Seth hates the Huskies?? Feel like he's always snubbed us. Absolutely love this team, so much fun to watch. Can't wait to see our top 10 men's hoops team go to battle Thursday! Feels really good to say!!

Reaction Score
So he's not ranking teams based on results, but future scheduling?
I think that last sentence was his way of messaging, "you're stuck at 12 until you prove it". Completely disagree with his take here tho, the premise of his rankings this week was a reset of the poll, meaning don't assume from season start. But if that's the case, is he really saying there's 11 teams better right now, cuz that's insane. He moved Tennessee from NR to 7. They ran to the champs at their tourney, but beat similar comp teams to us...oh and also lost to Colorado earlier this year. Just doesn't make sense anyway he shapes it.

Reaction Score
this team will benefit from the avg to poor play of the blue bloods in the top ten for sure, but for the first time in a while we will move to the top of the rankings independent of what anyone else does. We all probably watched a ton of cbb this past week and with as little bias as possible can safely say no one looked half as good.

Reaction Score
Davis posted that too soon. They are 11 in BartTorvik as of this morning. His point about ranked teams, though, is right. Here's hoping Xavier decides get their act together and get into the Top 25, because we may only have two more ranked regular season games this year. Big East has mediocre depth (plus a putrid Georgetown).

View attachment 81223
If you remove the preseason weightings we are #4. Those weightings are still factoring in us being #60 or whatever preseason - which is hilariously bad

Reaction Score

View attachment 81223

This would get a ‘See me after class’ for relying on outdated source material as he clearly relied on it to justify his ranking.

Reaction Score
#1 lost twice last week and #3, 6, 8, 9, 10 all also lost. To be fair all of those losses were to really good teams and shouldn’t affect ranking too much (other than UNC’s 2 losses). We went from 25 to 20 mostly through circumstance of teams ahead of us losing.

Purdue and UConn should fly up the rankings because of their performances this weekend. I think it’s reasonable to put undefeated teams with quality wins over great teams with 1 quality loss

Reaction Score
I really don't care where we are ranked in November Win means the team will move up. Good weekend putting the team back in serious talks as a real contender. This is a talented and deep team. Best talent in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom