AP Poll Week 17 (UConn #3) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP Poll Week 17 (UConn #3)

Reaction Score
Yes if MQ was #5 they would get the last 1 seed, most likely out West. I personally think Purdue will end up overall #1 and MQ will be 7 or 8 which sets them up as MW1 and 2
Purdue already beat Marquette once
Tennessee will most likely be last #1 or #5

Reaction Score
We just got spanked by 19 and we only moved down 2 spots.

The victimhood here is intense.
Creighton got spanked by the same amount to an unranked team and moved up two spots. It’s not victimhood, it’s the writers voting off the weeks box scores, not the bigger picture. All of it doesn’t matter, you don’t win a title in the regular season, but as a fan it’s ok to question it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Creighton got spanked by the same amount to an unranked team and moved up two spots. It’s not victimhood, it’s the writers voting off the weeks box scores, not the bigger picture. All of it doesn’t matter, you don’t win a title in the regular season, but as a fan it’s ok to question it.
Creighton isn't in our immediate vicinity in the AP poll so whether they moved up or down is irrelevant to us and has no correlation to the movement in the area of the poll we live in. This isn't hard and it is the way the poll has always worked. Weren't we #4 the week prior to jumping to #1 and then because the 3 teams above us lost we then jumped to #1? Did you complain that week about writers voting off that weeks box scores? Because there could've been a claim for one of those 3 teams to stay ahead of us despite a loss based on your "bigger picture" criteria. I bet you didn't complain though. The poll giveth and the poll taketh away.

Creighton beating us was the best win in College Basketball last week. Other teams immediately around them in the polls lost too, thus the move up for them. If all the teams immediately above Creighton won last week Creighton even with that win they would not move up on a 1-1 week. I don't understand why people don't get this.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Creighton isn't in our immediate vicinity in the AP poll so whether they moved up or down is irrelevant to us and has no correlation to the movement in the area of the poll we live in. This isn't hard and it is the way the poll has always worked. Weren't we #4 the week prior to jumping to #1 and then because the 3 teams above us lost we then jumped to #1? Did you complain that week about writers voting off that weeks box scores? Because there could've been a claim for one of those 3 teams to stay ahead of us despite a loss based on your "bigger picture" criteria. I bet you didn't complain though. The poll giveth and the poll taketh away.

Creighton beating us was the best win in College Basketball last week. Other teams immediately around them in the polls lost too, thus the move up for them. If all the teams immediately above Creighton won last week Creighton even with that win they would not move up on a 1-1 week. I don't understand why people don't get this.
100% this. The AP poll has always been about "what have you done for me lately." It has no impact on seeding for the tournament, and we just spent 6 weeks as the #1 team so I don't know why we're getting our panties in a bunch about it.

I really like how this guy sized it up:

Reaction Score

I don’t disagree with you it’s how the polls work, but the week you talk about Kansas and Purdue both lost to unranked teams, and Houston lost twice to unranked teams. UConn lost to #15, if the loss to Seton Hall was this week rather I would agree with your metric, but UConn has one loss to an unranked team, Kansas has 4, Houston has 2, Purdue has 3.

And why was the Creighton win “the best win in College Basketball last week?” Because they beat the unanimous #1 team in the country, which is another point, UConn didn’t jump three spots and knock off a unanimous #1. Purdue lost 34 first place votes for losing to an unranked team that week, UConn lost 57 this week for losing to the #15 team.

Reaction Score
They lost. Houston beat two ranked teams. It’s not disrespect. It’s common sense.
They didn't just lose. They got slaughtered. Why are people pretending they wouldn't be annoyed if a team not named UConn got beat by 19 and still had first place votes the next week?

It's a sign of the respect the voters have for UConn, yet somehow it's being spun as an injustice. Houston went to Baylor—a team similarly ranked to Creighton—and won. Give them credit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If that’s what YOU think it means you might just have the brain of a parking meter.
I'd be surprised if the #1 ranked team after the conclusion of the NCAA Tournament would be any other than the Tournament champion.

I walked you through my process. Did I make an error? If so, I'd welcome correction.

If you have a process by which you predicted that Duke would be voted #1 other than by its winning the tournament, I'd appreciate you walking me through your process.

You might emerge from civil discourse with an earned and recognized 'win' of sorts. Would you object to such an outcome?

You make it seem like such a foregone conclusion that it could mean something else, what would stand in the way of harvesting such low hanging fruit? I, on the other hand, need to approach the topic with humility, accepting the possibility that I am revealing a blind spot, or misunderstood what I read, and might be wrong.

I look forward to your response.

Reaction Score
Oh, right. Good point. Creighton beat #1 and then lost, but moved past 3 other teams ahead of them who lost.

So, which teams ahead of us lost last week to mitigate our fall?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom