AP Poll - Week 13 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 13

Reaction Score
So we are 5-6 in the league with 9 games remaining in the regular season. You are saying we could finish 8-12 or 9-11 and qualify?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying

The committee also looks how a team finishes there season.
They do not use this as a basis anymore (supposedly)

You are saying we can finish 3-6 or 4-5. That is not good. I miscalculated the 8-2. We need to finish no worse than 7-2. Then we will not be sitting on the bubble.
Again, exactly what I'm saying. 19 wins (3-6 finish) puts us squarely on the bubble. 20 wins (4-5 finish) and we should be safely in given our metrics and OOC wins

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
True. I want them to make the dance just as bad as everyone else. We need to finish strong. How many teams will the big east get? Probably 4 and hopefully 5. Xavier, Marquette, and Providence are looking good. I am worried about Creighton which would then make 4.
I am just being a realist. Sorry if I hurt some people's feelings on this board.
Five assuming Creighton can get to 19 wins. If one of Seton Hall or St. John's gets hot, just maybe we will see six but I doubt it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have three home games, which should be wins no matter who we play. We have two road games against poor teams, those should be wins. @Creighton can be a loss. 5-1 in the next 6, then we can see where we are. I expect a payback win @ St. Johns, an easy home win vs DePaul and a tough game @Villanova. So overall, 7-2, final league record of 12-8.

Reaction Score
That early season games count as much as late ones is pretty ridiculous. Teams change, sometimes dramatically over the course of a season. Look at, we’ll us this year. Teams get better too. Look at Creighton. I’d happily have played them in December. Not so excited to play them now. To equate a win over us or Creighton now vs December is foolishness. Honestly all these “scientific” systems are just as much pseudo science as phenology was.

Reaction Score
I wonder if any team has ever lost 6 of 8 and remained in the top 25 the whole time.

Of course they have. Just this season, Indiana lost 6 of 9 (close enough?) and they’re still ranked in the top 25.

Reaction Score
So we are 5-6 in the league with 9 games remaining in the regular season. You are saying we could finish 8-12 or 9-11 and qualify? The committee also looks how a team finishes there season. You are saying we can finish 3-6 or 4-5. That is not good. I miscalculated the 8-2. We need to finish no worse than 7-2. Then we will not be sitting on the bubble.
We would have 20 or 21 wins and still have a solid NET and KenPom. The body of work would benefit by what we did early in the season. So yes, 3-4 more wins gets us in.

Reaction Score
That early season games count as much as late ones is pretty ridiculous. Teams change, sometimes dramatically over the course of a season. Look at, we’ll us this year. Teams get better too. Look at Creighton. I’d happily have played them in December. Not so excited to play them now. To equate a win over us or Creighton now vs December is foolishness. Honestly all these “scientific” systems are just as much pseudo science as phenology was.

Actually the early games don’t count as much as the recent ones with the pollsters. The vast majority of computer ranking systems have us ranked in the top ten. The voters in the polls have us ar #24 precisely because of the recent losses. Big difference between #24 and #7 which is the neighborhood where most of the computers have us.

Rankings are by definition a comparison. So, it’s not a question of whether we belong in the top 25, it’s who you would bump up into the top 25 in place of us.

While we’re at it, will you also be dropping Miami from the top 25. They’re 3-4 in January. How about TCU? Dropping them too? They’d also gone 3-4 in their last 7 games. Look at Kansas. What are they still doing in the top 10 after losing 3 of their last 4? Everyone in this group have obviously become different teams lately and are not deserving of being ranked regardless if wgphat they did earlier.

Are you talking with the NBA about revising their standings too so that league standings are only based on recent games and earlier results are expunged?

Reaction Score
Seton Hall has 3 Quad 1 wins and a great SOS, so I think they're already on the radar....they have 9 games left to make their case.

Yes. Seton Hall is currently ranked #57 on NCAA Net, which is the instrument which the committee uses to start their conversation. #57 is bubble neighborhood. It won’t take much to move the Hall up into a tournament spot along with the other 5.

Reaction Score
If this were Duke the heads on here would be screaming bias. We have no business being top 25 right now. I guess our strong start was so impressive that it left an impression. Fools gold apparently. We`ll see.

Who are you promoting fir the top 25 over us? And dies anyone seriously believe that Florida Atlantic deserves to be ranked ahead of us? Or in the top 25 at all?

Reaction Score
Of course they have. Just this season, Indiana lost 6 of 9 (close enough?) and they’re still ranked in the top 25.
But didn't they fall out of the poll at some point?

Reaction Score
Did you learn your arguing technique from @nelsonmuntz ?

I said, "I wonder if a team has ever done x." You responded, "Of course they have! Just this year, a team did y!"
Reminds me of the recent thread where someone asked if any team has ever gone from unranked, to as high as #2, to unranked in the same season. And people pointed out Duke and UNC this season, which of course isn't true since they both started the season highly ranked.

Reading comprehension is not a strong suit on here.

Reaction Score
Did you learn your arguing technique from @nelsonmuntz ?

I said, "I wonder if a team has ever done x." You responded, "Of course they have! Just this year, a team did y!"

And I said, “Close enough?” I guess not for you.

My point is that at this moment in the season, both are in the top 25 after having suffered similar slumps. IU was dropped from the top 25 because they hadn’t built up a sufficient resume prior to the slump to keep them there. UConn has stayed in the top 25 because of their superb beginning to the season. Indians is back in the top 25 because since their slump, they have added to their early start to give them a comparable resume to ours albeit accomplishe in 2 different pieces instead of all at once as ours was.

I didn’t think it was that hard to see the similarities between the two as to require this explanation. Teams are voted into the top 25 based on their total body of work, not just a set of games over the period of a few weeks. As we’ve seen with Indiana, a slump doesn’t mean that a team’s season is over. Teams come back from slumps and turn things around as IU has done lately.

Teams not only turn slumps around, but in some cases they go on to win national championships after such slumps. The voters know this, which is why they are reluctant to bury a team prematurely.

We all know about UConn’s historic turnaround in 2011 when they went on to a NC after losing 7 of their last 11 regular season games. Historic but not unique. In 1985, Villanova lost 7 of 13 going into the tournament before winning the NC. If teams can turn around losing streaks at the most stressful time of year to win it all against the toughest competition, why is it so hard to believe that it can happen in the middle of a regular season?

Reaction Score
And I said, “Close enough?” I guess not for you.

My point is that at this moment in the season, both are in the top 25 after having suffered similar slumps. IU was dropped from the top 25 because they hadn’t built up a sufficient resume prior to the slump to keep them there. UConn has stayed in the top 25 because of their superb beginning to the season. Indians is back in the top 25 because since their slump, they have added to their early start to give them a comparable resume to ours albeit accomplishe in 2 different pieces instead of all at once as ours was.

I didn’t think it was that hard to see the similarities between the two as to require this explanation. Teams are voted into the top 25 based on their total body of work, not just a set of games over the period of a few weeks. As we’ve seen with Indiana, a slump doesn’t mean that a team’s season is over. Teams come back from slumps and turn things around as IU has done lately.

Teams not only turn slumps around, but in some cases they go on to win national championships after such slumps. The voters know this, which is why they are reluctant to bury a team prematurely.

We all know about UConn’s historic turnaround in 2011 when they went on to a NC after losing 7 of their last 11 regular season games. Historic but not unique. In 1985, Villanova lost 7 of 13 going into the tournament before winning the NC. If teams can turn around losing streaks at the most stressful time of year to win it all against the toughest competition, why is it so hard to believe that it can happen in the middle of a regular season?
I'm just wondering if a team has ever lost 6 of 8 and remained ranked at the end of it, dude. I am aware that other teams have done other things, but it's not relevant to my musing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here's grab bag of minor errors that barely matter. Everybody get a good night's sleep. Tuesday is Game Day.

Lol think the guy that put us 18 is the one who Twitter collectively bullied after giving us a laughably low rating at the start of the year. He must be afraid

Or slow.

I could care less with a writer with half my BB knowledge cares about us.
Please don't elaborate on how much less you could care.

Five assuming Creighton can get to 19 wins. If one of Seton Hall or St. John's gets hot, just maybe we will see six but I doubt it.

Looks like the drugs are kicking in, and you're starting to shizzle.

^ And then there's this.

Do you even know what thread you are in?

This post doesn't relate to the Subject, any other posts, or any other posters.

You label things, with nothing at all to back them up, "pretty ridiculous" and "foolishness," as though anybody would go on nothing more than your say so.

And you drive home a non-point with a sloppy, "Look at, we'll us this year," because you don't even respect yourself enough to look over your work before posting it.

We know you're not serious when you open your final paragraph with, "Honestly..." Don't you think we instantly consider if anything before that was been honest? You contrast "science" and pseudo science with the same lack of substance as your other empty claims, all to set up your misspelled attempt at a mic drop. Phrenomenal! Bavo!

Just go back to your coaching candidate profiles.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Who are you promoting fir the top 25 over us? And dies anyone seriously believe that Florida Atlantic deserves to be ranked ahead of us? Or in the top 25 at all?
i well remember ur early season blather on that team.
congratulations, u've gone from cranky old guy to full on clown college status in like a nanosecond.
that was fast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom